Need my cloud scrubbed of malware

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by estwig, Aug 21, 2020.

1. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,354 253
    Posted: Aug 25, 2020 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  2. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,464 4,408
    Thank you, but it’s onedrive, that would mean having a permanent link between the old laptop and the clean pc. Onedrive does have a very nasty habit of being all helpful and syncing all kinds of stuff without asking first, it could really bugger things up.

Auotdesk do a similar offering which I need to get my head around, I’m hoping it won’t try and sync everything, only cad files and it might even offer a way of accesses it them via the cloud for checking, before downloading to the clean pc.

Posted: Aug 25, 2020 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  3. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,354 253
    You don't have to install the OneDrive client on the local PC. Just open a browser, go to https://onedrive.live.com/, sign in and launch files from there. No Synching, no linking - you stay in control

Posted: Aug 25, 2020 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  4. estwig

12,464 4,408
    Good point thank you, just leave it in the cloud. I’ll give it some thought along with the Autodesk offering.

Posted: Aug 25, 2020 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  5. estwig

12,464 4,408
    An update, as much to clarify my own thoughts as to perhaps assist someone else:

Main infected pc in the shop minus the SSHD to have a new SSHD fitted and windows reinstalled, apologised profusely to the man for not trusting him to just wipe the drive, he was very good about it.

DL 40gb of files from Dropbox to an old laptop and checked with various anti-malware apps, Bitdefender found two trojans: Heur. BZC.YAX.Boxter and I found various odd looking files and things in the wrong place. Cleaned as best as possible, going to assume those files are always infected.

laptop is in the shop, it’s a surface-pro so a sealed unit, having the drive wiped and windows reinstalled, going to assume it is always infected.

Getting my head around opening all future ms.docs, PDF’s, etc in a protected mode, read only type thing.

Getting my head around how to open AutoCAD files without admin rights.

Getting my head around how Bitdefender works.

Getting my head around the various settings in my Draytek Vigor router, not easy!

Trust my iPad Pro and my Samsung S20 + 5g, did factory reset on both without backups and have never connected them to anything work related.

Changing all passwords on all accounts, again, there are a lot, via the iPad and writing them down old school style. Two step verification is on everything possible.

Need to work out a system where the old laptop is used for anything I’m not sure of, before forwarding whatever to the main pc, not easy as human error (me) and the passing of time will make things become lax.

Various clients getting very pissy with me, they’ll have to wait!

Posted: Aug 27, 2020 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006