Need help

Discussion in 'Retail' started by Sophia eve, Feb 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophia eve

Sophia eve UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 1
    Hi I'm trying to start A company making homemade cushion, coin purse and buntingEtc. But I won't to use other people fabric like laura Ashly and cath kidston. Can I do this and sell them on my own website, with me wording my item ie ( handmade cath kidston fabric cusion ) or will I be breaking the law. Many thanks For reading

Posted: Feb 28, 2014 By: Sophia eve Member since: Feb 28, 2014
  2. money road

money road UKBF Regular Full Member

149 11
    As far as I understand you want to buy material and make production- in this case you can brand your company, you do not have to use material brand in your ecomerce (eg "my brand cushion")
    But if make something to sell and in the product name will involve High standing brand- like hand made adidas cushion- this will lead you to big problems. You can use registered brand names, but not for increasing your rating or popularity, you can use high brand name, lets say for resseling things (I mean unique and made by exact company)

Posted: Feb 28, 2014 By: money road Member since: Feb 9, 2014
  3. WebhostingUKCom

WebhostingUKCom UKBF Contributor Full Member

72 4
    Sure you can do that, I dont feel you are breaking any kind of law here, so built your website and start selling, Ecommerce store website should work great for you.

Posted: Mar 1, 2014 By: WebhostingUKCom Member since: Nov 23, 2012
  4. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

10,539 2,130
    You would need to be very clear that you are not selling items made or approved by them

I doubt that many customers would be impressed by a piece of cloth be a famous name rather the finish of theactual item. So why take the risk of upsetting a major company, who may claim you are trading on their name

Posted: Mar 1, 2014 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  5. emmylou74

emmylou74 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

476 175
    To be safe best to check with the relevant companies involved. Disney produces fabric you can buy and make something for yourself but if you sell a finished item with it you are breaking copyright. So always best to check first.

Posted: Mar 1, 2014 By: emmylou74 Member since: Oct 21, 2009
  6. Masspeed

Masspeed UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 1
    some products are patterned mark too, for example some brands do pattern mark their materials so you need to be careful about that too.

We do have many clients in the fashion industry which we design, source and produce their products for them so we get to see what are the DOs and DON'Ts in fashion industry.

If you'd like to receive any further help just drop us a line via our website abadana.co.uk

Regards
    Mas

Posted: Mar 4, 2014 By: Masspeed Member since: Jul 18, 2012
  7. Stuart Bailey

Stuart Bailey UKBF Regular Full Member

379 76
    you will need a licence from the companies who own the brands because you will be in breach of their copyright and trademarks.

Posted: Jun 27, 2014 By: Stuart Bailey Member since: Oct 29, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.