Growing Your Startup Brought to you by Your Company Formations

Need help in developing my children's entertainment and caricaturist business.

Discussion in 'Growing Your Startup' started by Sillyscribbler, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Sillyscribbler

Sillyscribbler UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    Hi all, this is my first post but I've lurked for years and found some great advice here. Not sure why it's taken me so long to ask my own questions.
    Anyway, I'm seeking some advice regarding my kids entertainment/caricaturist business. I'm currently a sole trader that's been operating for over eight years and as an entertainer I've got a great reputation and have most weekends booked for business. However, I feel that I'm in a rut. I'm doing ok financially but really need to be earning more and have grown tired of the comfortable groove the business is in.
    Basically I want to grow the business but I'm not sure how. I could offer more services and hire face painters etc on a gig by gig basis but I'm not sure if the commission in that would be worth the hassle. I've tried to think of unique ways to combine the show with the caricature drawing but to no avail.
    I've wracked my brain as to how to grow but I'm coming up blank.
    I'd love any feedback or ideas any of you good people may have, hopefully a fresh set of eyes might help.
    My website can be found at louietheentertainer co UK if you want a better idea of what I currently do.
    Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
    Afterthought: I'm also sort of hamstrung by the fact that most people only need my services on the weekend or during holidays leaving my largely free during the week and not earning.

Posted: Oct 11, 2018 By: Sillyscribbler Member since: Oct 11, 2018
  2. billmccallum1957

billmccallum1957 UKBF Ace Full Member

1,850 395
    Look at the corporate market, trade shows, conferences, award ceremonies.

I had a caricature done at an awards ceremony, so I know some organisers will go for it.

Posted: Oct 11, 2018 By: billmccallum1957 Member since: Feb 11, 2016
  3. BenTargett

BenTargett UKBF Newcomer Free Member

18 5
    Completely agree, the corporate market is the way forward.

There is little point in trying to do this yourself, so get yourself in the books of some of the bigger corporate suppliers - Peter Johnson Entertainments, Julia Charles Events management as a few examples.

Also consider the wedding market? Spend some of your time in the week listing yourself on the multitude of weddding suppliers sites, and maybe visiting a few local venues to see if they would like to offer your services.

Posted: Oct 11, 2018 By: BenTargett Member since: Jul 11, 2014
  4. Sillyscribbler

6 0
    Good suggestions guys. I am already on some wedding directories and do shows/caricatures for weddings and corporate events however I'll definitely check out those corporate agencies. But the problem remains that it's all largely weekend work. Like I say, great suggestions but they don't really speak to the problems in my OP. Thanks a million for your input though :)

5. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

9,765 1,018
    There's lots you can do during the week, whole jobsites full of weekday work.
    Not related to your business.

Or there are a ton of hobbies you can do during the week that can translate into sellable work. Or there's selling online and on markets to keep you busy.

Question is, what do you want to do during the week? By the sound of it your current customer focus is on people who mostly want weekend work doing.
    So will need something with at the very least a different customer focus.

Posted: Oct 11, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  6. BenTargett

18 5
    Working in the industry, I would say most corporate events are Monday to Friday, tho see your point about Weddings.

Good luck!

7. Sillyscribbler

6 0
    Again, many thanks for your feedback. I currently do a little bit of online t shirt design and some graphic design work during the week and I'm always tinkering with my website SEO and marketing. I guess I'm looking for ways to develop my business (entertainment/caricatures) as they bring in the most revenue. I'll admit I'm not really familiar with the midweek corporate event. Apart from the suggested agencies, can anyone suggest ways I might target this market specifically?

8. BenTargett

18 5
    Sorry,

Just re-read my reply and it reads a little short, wasn’t the intention.

There are numerous agencies like the ones mentioned above that will hold all sorts of acts on their roster. Some have very specific niches but either of the skills you show would fit with few.

Unfortunately our skill set (Axe Throwing, Archery, Shooting) doesn’t work with many agencies so we are limited to who we work with.

9. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

9,765 1,018
    Your skill set sounds more suitable for some corporate events.

Right lads there's the management team over there, everyone got arrows ready? Fire...

Posted: Oct 11, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  10. Sillyscribbler

6 0
    Thanks Ben, my problem isn't the amount of work that I get, my focus is how to scale up or expand my business model. Like I say my weekends are largely booked out and that's great but it's leveled out over the past few years (also good) and I feel that I want to ramp things up a bit and grow the business.

11. Alison Wright

Alison Wright UKBF Contributor Full Member

33 4
    Hi, I've just had a look at your site and your social media accounts. It's all very impressive and you're obviously extremely talented.
    I wondered, have you thought about selling caricatures online or selling online courses showing people how to draw caricatures? This is something you can do during the week and maybe get you out of your rut?
    There are two social media channels you're not using which could really work for you, Pinterest and Instagram. Particularly Pinterest which is driving a lot of traffic at the moment. As your product is very visual it's almost guaranteed to be popular. These two channels love inspirational quotes - try combining your drawings with quotes. It should drive a lot of traffic to your website where you can sell your visitors a caricature. I'm guessing you can produce these quickly from photographs. (Or maybe customers can send you a short video clip).
    Teaching via online courses has the big plus that once you've produced the course all you have to think about is its promotion. You can automate the selling process.
    If you build a following for your caricatures online you can keep increasing your prices. It doesn't matter that you can buy cheap caricatures on Fiverr, people will want yours.

Posted: Oct 12, 2018 By: Alison Wright Member since: Jun 29, 2018
  12. Sillyscribbler

6 0
    Thanks a million Alison, some great advice! I do have an Instagram account and a Pinterest one too but I haven't really bothered too much with them (or, it seems, linked them to my website!). Anyway, your suggestions make great sense. I'm certainly going to look into this angle. I've dabbled in the online caricature thing but figured I couldn't compete with the fiverr guys. But if I build my brand I can see how I can overcome that. I think half the time I have so many options I just become paralysed with indecision. Thank you again for your suggestions, you've been really helpful. :)

Posted: Oct 12, 2018 By: Sillyscribbler Member since: Oct 11, 2018
  13. Alison Wright

Alison Wright UKBF Contributor Full Member

33 4
    Pleased to be helpful. I think people tend to overlook Pinterest because it has a predominantly female following. I've heard of some huge traffic being generated from Pinterest lately. Your average person would never think to go shopping on Fiverr but they will look for images that appeal to them on Pinterest and Instagram.
    Caricatures make terrific Christmas presents and let's face it, women do a lot of the Christmas shopping. So get in touch with your softer side and good luck!

Posted: Oct 12, 2018 By: Alison Wright Member since: Jun 29, 2018
  14. Sillyscribbler

6 0
    I will!! Thank you again for your sound advice :)

Posted: Oct 12, 2018 By: Sillyscribbler Member since: Oct 11, 2018
  15. HouseSnagging.com

HouseSnagging.com UKBF Contributor Full Member

32 3
    I had a caricaturist at my wedding reception, people loved it - I have the one he did for me and my wife hanging in my office 22 years on

Posted: Oct 13, 2018 By: HouseSnagging.com Member since: Sep 27, 2018