Need help - Coronavirus website

Discussion in 'Wordpress Support' started by drdes, Mar 23, 2020.

1. drdes

drdes UKBF Regular Free Member

260 19
    I've just set up a website to list all businesses that are helping during these difficult times.

I've set it up on Wordpress and at the moment its just a list of things. However now I am getting more organisations that are local and so the list format doesn't really work. I've been told that I need a directory plugin but the ones I have looked at (e.g. Geodirectory) look very complicated.

What I am looking for is:
    - I will be inputting the information myself - so no need for user management. Ideally, someone would fill in a form (on the website like now) with the following fields:

- business name
    - category (which I will have a list of e.g. leisure, food, education etc. - they can choose multiple categories)
    - location (either town, postcode or National)
    - details of what they are doing.

This will either send me an email with the details or automatically populate the directory and would go on the website once I approve it.

Can anyone help on this? Either point me to a simple plugin that does this or if someone is knowledgeable and would be willing to help set this up that would be great too. It is obviously non-profit!

Thanks

Posted: Mar 23, 2020 By: drdes Member since: Dec 19, 2010
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

32,410 9,583
    There is no simple plugin. If you want a directory you need a directory plugin. The learning curve to set one up can be quite steep but once configured they look after themselves.

If you need help with this just ask. There are plenty of Wordpress experts on the forum.

I would however caution making this a national thing. Keep it local and you will get a much better response.

I’ve got a local directory theme you can have. It is about as simple as it gets.

Posted: Mar 23, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

887 235
    For a local listings site it is easier just to have a basic template page that you can complete manually.
    That said, if your site is specific about 'coronavirus' don't be waiting for google to propel you onto the first page because that isn't going to happen.

Posted: Mar 23, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  4. drdes

260 19
    I'm not trying to propel it to the top of google rankings. Happy to spread word via word of mouth/facebook. I'm just trying to do something helpful - not make money out of it.

I don't understand why it would be easier to do it local vs national (from a building the directory perspective). Covering the whole country just needs an additional field for location which should be searchable.

5. fisicx

32,410 9,583
    Because it will soon become unmanageable. I've worked on a number of directories over the years and the admin burden soon becomes too much. You will be moderating every single entry and weeding out a huge number of spammers. Keeping it local means it will soon become a popular resource.

It could for example list those willing to go shopping for the elderly. This works locally but wouldn't make any sense listing thousands of willing volunteers across the country.

But first thing to do is get the directory set up. Start a thread in the tenders forum to ask for help (if you need it).

6. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

887 235
    You're wasting your time.

Posted: Mar 23, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  7. drdes

260 19
    probably - but better to try and help than to sit at home watching Netflix.

8. drdes

260 19
    Also, if there are enough entries, it wouldnt be difficult to ask others for help to wade through. But if thats a problem - that would be a nice problem to have.

9. drdes

260 19
    Can I have it? Might start with something and take it from there...

10. fisicx

32,410 9,583
    OK. I'll dig it out and send it over to you