Need advice on the best company for shipping China - UK.

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Girl.Boss, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Girl.Boss

Girl.Boss UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 2
    New to the whole importing and reselling, SOOOO much to research and learn about.
    So, I found the product, finally got a price for 60 units, but then got hit with the amount it would cost to bring it on to the UK, plus the extra's our fabulous government add on too o_O.

Now I just need a reliable company who will NOT throw surprise charges in last minute, to do the door to door.

Thank you in advance.
    :)

Posted: Jun 3, 2019 By: Girl.Boss Member since: Jun 3, 2019
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,611 1,847
    Pretty much any shipping broker can do what you wish. Or if small enough order, a courier company can work.

I think well of Shapiro as a shipping company to deal with, may not be the cheapest (would be surprised if they were) but met my requirements.

Posted: Jun 3, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Girl.Boss

12 2
    Thank you, yes I did receive a quote off Shippo and was blown away by the expense of it, although they do seem quite trustworthy.
    Thank you for taking the time to respond :)

Posted: Jun 3, 2019 By: Girl.Boss Member since: Jun 3, 2019
  4. Mike Foulds

Mike Foulds UKBF Newcomer Free Member

29 9
    Hi.

I would suggest you ask 3 or 4 UK forwarders for a quote, and then go with the one which makes you feel like you're not just "another" customer they deal with, and that you feel confident that they'll handle your shipment and keep you informed.

Posted: Jun 3, 2019 By: Mike Foulds Member since: Mar 21, 2018
  5. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,340 874
    What's the weight and carton dimensions of the order?

That will determine whether you should send by air or sea.

Posted: Jun 3, 2019 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  6. CHUKTC

CHUKTC UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 14
    Hi
    It really depends what you are looking to ship, and how quickly you want it. It may be that using a different route to ship, air vs rail vs sea will bring the price down for you. As I am sure you are aware the more you ship the cheaper it gets but as others have said here shop around - prices vary considerably. For small consignments its often cheaper to use shipping agents in China (that's what we tend to do), but you need to be careful as you can get hit by unexpected hidden charges.
    As for UK taxes you cant do much about that but you need to make sure you are using the correct HS code as that can affect the tax you pay greatly.

Posted: Jun 3, 2019 By: CHUKTC Member since: Jan 2, 2019
  7. Ray272

Ray272 UKBF Regular Free Member

197 26
    Try Europa worldwide for A/F and O/F
    air freight and ocean freight.

Ask supplier you buying from for a quote.

Advise weight and dims and location in China and maybe some folks cam guide you on a decent cost after you got your quotes.

Rh freight
    Davies Turner
    Inxpress
    Europa worldwide

The list is endless.

Have you checked the commodity code to ensure no more surprises?

Posted: Jun 3, 2019 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  8. Maple Sourcing

Maple Sourcing UKBF Regular Full Member

350 75
    If only 60 pcs, unless they are bulky, I'd suggest you go with an economic courier. Most of couriers offer economic service, such as FedEx-IE, UPS red bill, EMS, and so on.

Posted: Jun 4, 2019 By: Maple Sourcing Member since: Oct 8, 2012
  9. Girl.Boss

12 2
    Hi Mike,

Thank you for your response, I shall gain a few quotes and yes would be interested in one from your self also.

Posted: Jun 4, 2019 By: Girl.Boss Member since: Jun 3, 2019
  10. Girl.Boss

12 2
    17.52 CBM, 1800KG

11. Girl.Boss

12 2
    Thank you for the advice, I gratefully appreciate it. Can i ask how do i find the HS code for the Tax?

12. Girl.Boss

12 2
    Thank you for your in depth response. Do you mean the uk import tax and Vat when entering the UK?
    thank you

13. Import Expert

Import Expert UKBF Regular Free Member

299 128
    Based on 17.52 CBM (That's quite a large shipment), you should get prices for LCL (a shared container) and FCL (a full load container). Ensure you buy on FOB terms (This means the suppliers cost includes all local costs in China also), and then a UK forwarder can quote you from China Port to UK Door. I'm assuming this is furniture or suchlike?

Posted: Jun 4, 2019 By: Import Expert Member since: Feb 1, 2012
  14. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

4,340 874
    Go for a full container.

The goods will arrive at your warehouse quicker and in better condition than choosing LCL.

Has the supplier quoted FOB?

What is the departure port?

Does the product(s) require any certification?

Posted: Jun 4, 2019 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  15. Ray272

197 26
    HS codes are searchable via the UK trade tariff where you need to check how much duty is applicable to the product you are importing. Google the UK trade tariff.

So the way to do that is to determine the type of product it is and then then select the best options that describe your product based on the materials it is made from.

Do you know how many pallets it is and the terms of your shipment? Do factory mention things like FOB & (port name) or exworks and factory location to pick up goods?

Posted: Jun 4, 2019 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  16. Girl.Boss

12 2
    Yes the items are large 100x200cm mirrors. they did mention a full container but when i got a quote from Shippo, was by far more expensive than a shared. I will definitely check of the FOB as you stated because i am unsure of that. Thank you for your advice, it is gratefully appreciated,

17. Girl.Boss

12 2
    I don't believe it needs any certification, although will be checking just in case. The shipping costs seem so much more expensive though to do a FCL.

I also will need to check the FOB with the supplier. To be honest their prices seem to have increased as to what they advertise on Alibaba.

18. Girl.Boss

12 2
    Thank you so much for this information, I did have a little rummage around the HMRC website, but its like a minefield so didn't find much of anything of use. I will go back in though and search specific, so thank you.

19. Ray272

197 26
    Glass mirror whether framed or unframed.
    Code 7099100 or 7099200

No 3rd country duty.

Posted: Jun 4, 2019 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  20. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

4,340 874
    LCL Sea freight costs will be cheap, but you'll be stung at the UK end for all clearing costs which will bump up the final price considerably. When comparing quotes, make sure you include all the costs landed and delivered to your warehouse.

Given your products are mirrors, shipping using an LCL service is asking for trouble, as breakages will be likely.

Have you ensured that the packaging is adequate for transporting mirrors? It's important to have this checked.

The Incoterms (EXW or FOB) should be included in the Pro Forma that you have agreed with the supplier.

Have you carried out due diligence on the supplier? If the prices have changed, ask them why? Have you changed any of the specifications from the original quote they gave you?

Posted: Jun 4, 2019 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011