General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

Need 30 Businesses for Free Advertising

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Siobhan_Jones, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tin

Tin Just an SEO Staff Member

5,847 1,607
    Yep, do everyone a favour and ring the tax man. Give him this url and record the call just so we all know what he said!

We all know it's hard to 'bite the bullet when you're wrong'. With you, this is impossible!

I have no more to add to this thread as it's quite frankly impossible to make you understand where you went wrong despite my (and others efforts) to the contrary.

I feel I have failed somewhat... but then again! Tomorrow is another day!:D

Ray

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
  2. Rusty

Rusty UKBF Newcomer Free Member

569 111
    I've been thinking this thread has been a wind up (depending on whose side your are on) since Ling and Alpha locked horns.

Kerry

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
    Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: Rusty Member since: May 6, 2006
  3. FireFleur

FireFleur UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,868 441
    We are not even a pure democracy, we are monarchy democracy. The only person who owns land in the UK is the Royal Family, that is why we have freeholds not ownership.

And the Monarch has the right to dissolve parliament, in fact they have to, but of course they don't exercise all their rights, and they also have freedom from certain taxes and they get the civil list payments.

See, most of it is about convention, and the internet is just too new, and doesn't conform to conventional broadcasting.

I think this has all come about because they say you appeared on Dragon's Den and that was advertising, well here the nuance works for you, that is deemed ok by convention, because it is documentary in style. Though of course most realise it has the potential to get a brand out there, which is why after the first series, so many were there to get exposure, not even after a money deal.

The lighten up comment by Wild Goose is good advice, the ring HMRC is not :), you don't want to do it, they will zone into you instead, live and let live is the way.

See, they will have said you appeared on DD and that was advertising, in a light hearted you are not as pure as the driven snow yourself type thing, but they wouldn't report it - that would be petty and well just not cricket.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
    Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: FireFleur Member since: Oct 29, 2008
  4. movietub

movietub UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,859 1,109
    Noted!? You have wasted about 80 pages of this thread off course from the OP! Why not just say 'Yes, I'll do that first thing in the morning' Since you feel so passionately about it.

Or do you think it acceptable to waste more time off topic?

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: movietub Member since: Nov 6, 2008
  5. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,643
    Maybe if you were to declare what race and species you are .?

We could debate this a litte further.:rolleyes:

Earl

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  6. maxine

maxine UKBF Legend Full Member

6,571 2,023
    I'm not on anyone's "side" but surely this whole thread is wind up?

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: maxine Member since: Oct 13, 2007
  7. fathippy

fathippy UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

600 94
    doing my usual "read 20 pages in one go" thing and cant help wanting to ask whether Eileen (cheap accounting) was any relation of Elaine?

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: fathippy Member since: Jul 17, 2008
  8. Hedgie

Hedgie UKBF Ace Free Member

2,310 305
    OK children.....playtime is over, get back to lessons please.

I HAVE JUST WASTED ANOTHER HALF AN HOUR READING THIS RUDDY THREAD>>>>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGHHHHHHHHHHH

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 By: Hedgie Member since: Aug 17, 2007
  9. Alpha

Alpha UKBF Newcomer Full Member

4,130 518
    Yes the whole thread is a wind up by Ling doing the one thing that she does best 'Getting herself noticed'.

Her arguments are flawed as she actually doesn't know what she is talking about with regards to accounting and tax.

She simply picks pages of the internet and provides her own flawed interpretation on them.

She conveniently avoids answering anything which she cannot turn to her own advantage and is currently finding that unlike many other threads that she has posted on the people in this thread cannot be bullied into submission.

There are a couple of very basic flaws in all her arguments.

One barter transactions as far as vat is concerned only apply between businesses which provide their normal goods and services (see vat notice 700/7 for the general provisions)

We are not customers of Sift nor are the moderators suppliers to Sift. (Neither I nor any of the other moderators are in business to provide moderation services).

It cannot be argued that moderators are paid on other forums either as
    1) I do not know of any forums where they are paid but
    2) that is also irrelevant as they are not paid on this forum. (Sift themselves do have paid employees who have employment contracts).

There was also the possibility of receiving advertising services due to being employed....

We are also not employed by Sift, If our involvement is examined there are non of the indicators of employment shown by our involvement.

We do not have contracts, do not have set hours or in fact any hours and no payments are made or have been made before or after adverts appeared, we do not use any of sifts assets, and are not situated in any of Sifts premises. So any consideration of benefits in kind are also irrelevant.

Finally from an accounting perspective the basic provisions were outlined in UITF abstract 26.

As if anybody could really care less including Ling (Its the arguing that counts) :D

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 By: Alpha Member since: Feb 16, 2004
  10. lockie

lockie UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,386 313
    Hasnt anyone realised yet that no matter what you reply to ling you will be wrong ?

Ling knows all and is the all seeing oracle on everything, i thought that was clear by now ?

She never:

offends anyone
    Upsets anyone
    Breaks the rules
    or is wrong.

Once you understand these simple rules posting with a ling about is much much easier, its just not worth the effort.

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 By: lockie Member since: May 4, 2007
  11. maxine

maxine UKBF Legend Full Member

6,571 2,023
    So then why don't you all (mods that is) just "move along" when an argument presents itself from Ling or anyone else as that is the advice that you give us :)

Otherwise this looks like a wind up that the mods are involved in considering the post that was made about it all being a joke that was discussed on the phone etc..

and I am a mod on another forum and am not paid and don't even get an advert :)

Sorry if I am speaking out of turn... I will move along now :)

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 By: maxine Member since: Oct 13, 2007
  12. Alpha

Alpha UKBF Newcomer Full Member

4,130 518

How amazingly astute of you:D

I suppose that, upon reflection on the posts made since I left the office,there really is no point in continuing this thread as Ling will continue to regurgitate the same drivel so I might as well lock this now.

Any attempts to start new threads to continue the arguments will result in an infraction being issued.;)

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 By: Alpha Member since: Feb 16, 2004
  13. Siobhan_Jones

Siobhan_Jones UKBF Newcomer Free Member

51 11
    Some people here wanted clarification on certain things and transparency so I’ve detailed the background to the one a year campaign and given details of the people and businesses mentioned on this thread previously. I’ve prepared this response with the help of Gous, who has provided info on what he’s doing.

The Background to this business idea.

Gous is a close friend of mine, we’ve known each other for about 3 years. He is a web developer by profession and is currently working on a charity project with Steve Sims, the former British boxing champion.

I may have denied knowing his home address but that was to protect it from prying eyes. It’s not fair to have someone’s residential address posted on the internet. Even though it may have been a previous address. Also, because it was nobody’s business who he is as it’s not relevant.

But as some people raised the issue I’ll clarify who he is and the relationship to this project.

His recent past has been focused in the area of Ethical and Charitable enterprises, trying to get people to choose green and fair trade, and now charitable businesses.

As he hasn’t the time to get himself involved in everything, he has persuaded some of his friends and contacts to take up the fight.

His friends, whom he met whilst partnering with a bluetooth media company, Phil and Jon, are involved in the ethical movement. http://www.myspace.com/ethicalmovement. It has over 4,200 members and you can contact Phil to verify Gous’s part. If you also check the whois info on ethicalmovement.com it will show Gous’s address. I don’t know Phil or Jon personally.

The one a year campaign, was originally conceived by Gous to get people to make at least one green/fair trade purchase a year.

But as Gous, left to join Steve in forming Sport Against Cancer, the One A Year Campaign idea came to a holt. Phil and Jon are continuing to do their good work by themselves through myspace.

All about Gous

I’ve known Gous for over 3 years, he’s not a saint, far from it, but he’s been trying to do something good with his life.

He is very good at developing great business ideas, especially, one’s that benefit society in some way.

At the height of the property boom, he came up with a way to help up to 2 million pensioners to get an extra £50 a week from the property market. He had seen how the pensioners had been struggling and wanted to create a viable business that helped them.

But as the market was rising he had second thoughts, the service could have made him potentially many millions, and had serious business people interested being part of it. However, he had the foresight to realise there would be a property crash, and if the service had been launched when the market crashed it would affect large numbers of the most vulnerable people, and so decided not to go ahead with it.

This business would work best in a stable market, so has great potential for a launch in the future.

Currently, he is devoting most of his time to get the cancer prevention sporting charity under way.

About Sport Against Cancer

This idea came about when Steve one day came to Gous wanting him to create a profile website to let people know his boxing achievements.

Steve is very knowledgeable of food nutrition and the things to eat to help minimise the risks of developing cancer.

He is also very passionate about getting this knowledge across to others to try and convert them to his way of thinking to help reduce their risks of developing this disease.

Gous realised, rather than just having a simple profile website Steve could use his local fame to educate others.

The idea evolved, and the focus changed from just food nutrition to sporting activity, by getting people to exercise 30 minutes a day, the chances of developing cancers could be reduced by up to 50%. It made sense as Steve is also a sporting champion with many contacts in the world of sport who could help in promoting the charity.

Sport Against Cancer was mistakenly registered as Limited by Shares, also there was an American “Sports Against Cancer” charity, so the name has now been changed to Sport Preventing Cancer, which is limited by guarantee i.e. Not-For-Profit.

The objectives of Sport Preventing Cancer is to convey their message through the media so more people start exercising. Funding for this will come mainly from the world of sport in the future; it’s an opportunity for sport to give back to its fans by getting them to look after their own health.

It also plans to hold FREE local activities in every town and city where it will have representatives. So, people can just turn up and participate without costing them anything. Not everyone can afford to go to gyms on a regular basis so this will give them the opportunity to keep fit and minimise their risks to developing cancer.

SAC Enterprise was created to provide business to business services, some quite unique, to help finance the FREE local activities, as it would give most of its profits to Sport Preventing Cancer.

It would be difficult to rely simply on donations from the public to run these activities.

All about me

I’m Siobhan Jones, as you all should know by now. I live in Newport in South Wales with my sister, mother and pet cat.

I haven’t been very happy with most of the jobs I’ve had in recent years, so have done a few courses.

It was through one of these courses I came to volunteer for PDSA in Newport. If you want verification of this please contact Maureen (Mo), she is the nice lady with the white hair.

Gous has been encouraging me to start my own business for over a year now. He said if I want to get anywhere in life I needed to have my own business. It’s difficult to afford a property these days with the prices the way they are, but I want to be independent, need my own space.

But I lack self confidence, didn’t know what to expect as I have very little knowledge of the way the world of business works.

Gous had reassured me there are people to advise and guide me and I should give it a chance.

He watched a Working Lunch episode where the representative for CAF had said that charities have lost 30% of their income because of the recession and thought there must be a solution.

That’s why the One A Year Campaign was reprised. It was originally conceived to increase ethical and fair trade business, but now changed the focus to helping charities.

The solution is great, it attracts donations to charities from the extra trade businesses get, and it doesn’t cost the consumers anything extra for choosing these businesses rather than a non-donating business.

Gous had asked me to work on the mechanics of the idea and do some research, get help from the business forum and test it to see the level of interest to assess its viability.

This was going to be a good learning experience for me as I would be around professional and knowledgeable people.

We went to have a meeting with one of his friends (Yakub) who runs an estate agency and is also a mortgage broker. He has the gift of the gab, so would be great for the PR campaign.

He agreed to help promote the service once it’s ready. We hadn’t discussed it at the time but I think he would also let the business trade from his premises as it has plenty of space if I ask.

So I did some research, and learnt a bit from the charity commission website, and from all that added the content to the website, with the help of Gous.

I emailed CAF to get them to agree a deal where their members would benefit from the donations.

They replied with an email saying they would reply within 10 days but haven’t heard back from them

I’ve also emailed some large charities about commercial partnering but haven’t had replies. I don’t think they take emails seriously unless you’re a big company or it just gets lost in the system.

Whatever the reason, it hasn’t been effective. I think the only way to get their interest is by doing the press campaign and then calling them by phone.

So, I introduced myself to the forum explaining the idea and started to get businesses who were interested on board on a free offer to get a sizable number to start off with.
    They would also give me feedback on the service, ways it can be improved etc.

The plan was after I had 30 businesses and made any necessary changes, I would send press releases, arrange radio interviews etc. to attract other businesses and charities to participate.

The Forum Nightmare

I came to this forum thinking people would love the idea and give some constructive criticism on ways to improve it. Most did love it, but there were some issues that needed to be resolved.

Normally, I would spend about an hour or so a day reading the posts, which I don’t think was enough to go through all the messages properly.

I underestimated the popularity of the thread, so perhaps skipped through some from certain people as there was too much to read or because some of their previous replies weren’t constructive.

But having read through the thread properly for the first time a few days ago I can see that there were some valid points made and questions asked.

continued below

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 By: Siobhan_Jones Member since: Nov 13, 2008
  14. Siobhan_Jones

Siobhan_Jones UKBF Newcomer Free Member

51 11
    The Future
    After careful thought and feedback from friends I’ve decided to dispense with helping charities as there are too many complications in that. I will instead focus on a different market.

I’ll be working on the website over weekend with Gous, and a new site should be ready for Monday.

I will also provide contact details and be far more transparent in the future.

If anyone has any queries please email me [email protected]. My PM box is almost full. I’m surprised and grateful for all the messages of support I’ve had.

Thank You to everyone.

Siobhan

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 By: Siobhan_Jones Member since: Nov 13, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.