General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

Need 30 Businesses for Free Advertising

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Siobhan_Jones, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Goose

Wild Goose UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,340 413

Thanks for the apology Ling. It's probably your hormones. Middle aged women often throw a six. ;)

Ling I admire your fortitude. No wonder your suppliers give you such cheap deals - you're like the posse that wouldn't give up.

Introducing the distinction that these are transactions between Businesses opens up even more cans of worms that I don't even want to think about. Tres clever.

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: Wild Goose Member since: Aug 15, 2008
  2. Rusty

Rusty UKBF Newcomer Free Member

569 111
    None taken I assure you. The whole point is that the mods give their time for free!!

Kerry

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: Rusty Member since: May 6, 2006
  3. FireFleur

FireFleur UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,868 441
    Well is it a transaction between businesses, perhaps it is just that they as people like designing ads, and the person hosting UKBF likes to integrate little ads for fun. The businesses just don't object.

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: FireFleur Member since: Oct 29, 2008
  4. Jaime Behiman

Jaime Behiman UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I am en expert in bars, a perfect construction, a perfect style, allaccording the likes of the person who wants to construct it, even the music; I have photographs of this works.
    if do you want to aquire a plan for the bar of your dreams just write to me to get contact.

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: Jaime Behiman Member since: Dec 2, 2008
  5. DuaneJackson

DuaneJackson UKBF Legend Full Member

9,527 1,118
    Get a room! (or read less Edward De Bono)

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: DuaneJackson Member since: Jul 14, 2005
  6. Rusty

569 111
    Not according to our accountant

Nothing as far as I can see (nor our accountant). The moderation is done voluntarily, mostly out of hours (and there are loads of members champing at the bit for an opportunity to mod and no idea that an ad would be given in response)

Well, it does, not least because the mods on here do so without the added carrot of an ad.

Kerry

7. Wild Goose

1,340 413
    Hi FireFleur,

Thanks for the support, I'll leave you to argue with Ling now that she's introduced the notion that these are business arrangements. Please pick up the mantel.

Ling would hate the farming community I call home. Fifteen year olds driving around the lanes in tractors at harvest-time (working, not playing). Probably breaks every road offence and child labour law in the book. Farmers spend entire afternoons shooting at crows and other protected scavengers such as magpies (necessary sport, same argument as foxhunting). Bales of hay and horses are currency. The farmers' market wouldn't know the difference between a kilogram and a kiss-o-gram; we even have a local Lord of The Manor swanning round the place- it really is 1930's Trumpton.

Lighten up Ling. Every time the women's institute make jam and sell it for charity (yes charity, not spoof charity that was the original topic of this thread) they break the food preparation laws because neither they nor their kitchens are licenced for food prep. Ditto the cubs, who sell raffle tickets unlicenced.

After we've gaoled the Mods, we'll have to gaol every farmer, gun-owner and shopkeeper in our parts. Not to mention the WI and the cubs and scouts. Alan and Duane will have to budge up even further in their cell, as there's more to come: every motorist in the country who commits an offence by not getting someone to walk ahead of him waving a flag (last time I checked that law hadn't been repealed) must also be thrown in gaol. Oh and Ling, you've aided and abetted them. I sentence you to ten years hard labour!

8. FireFleur

1,868 441
    It is not as a tax payer that you object, it is as a citizen of the UK you object.

I often see people take umbrage to the tax they pay, assuming it gives them rights over the money, it doesn't it is the fact you are on UK soil conducting business that forces you to pay UK tax, and it is the right of a UK citizen to object to taxes not being collected in the UK.

Taxes are not about people getting what they pay for in taxes, it is about supporting the citizens of the country the taxes are paid in. Your tax won't drop because others suddenly start paying.

The history of tax is generally about supporting a military, and a civil service in more recent times. The right to vote for the government, and the right to select a government that can set taxation is the democratic right to object if people don't pay taxes when they should.

Even ex-pats object to it, even though they don't pay any UK tax.

So, if you are on benefits, then you still have a right to object to taxes not being paid, that is democracy for you :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  9. Tin

Tin Just an SEO Staff Member

5,847 1,607
    Ling, in case you haven't noticed I have only posted 3 or 4 times on this entire thread! Over 700 posts and only 3 to 4 are mine. Have a guess... who do you think has made the most posts on this thread? It ain't me by a very long way, but I think it might be you, so methinks it's actually you that has a problem in remaining calm. This is of course only my opinion.

Ling, I couldn't care less if I had an ad here or not! I get my clients through word of mouth and the search engine rankings I obtain for them, end of! Neither do I "plaster my business" on them! It's one ad!!!... 1 Ad!

Your problem is that this seems like a crime in your mind. Trouble is that others far more experienced than yourself know it's not!

I know nothing of selling cars so I don't profess knowledge in this area, yet you have repeatedly challenged experts here with your little knowledge of accountacy and tax legislation

Ray

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
  10. DuaneJackson

9,527 1,118
    I have no idea why I am diving back in, but.....

The above is very true. Lots of people willing to mod for free, no advert, no nothing.

Therefore, market value of modding is £0 per hour.

Kerrys statement about Sift not being able to afford it meant that IF we did charge our own hourly rate (ie, what we charge clients) for the time we put in then they wouldn't be able to afford it.

11. Wild Goose

1,340 413
    We've covered that one ages back. If they're both businesses and both VAT registered there's no tax loss to the public purse. The transactions would cancel each other out. Add a thousand to your sales income and take a thousand away as expenses and your profits won't change.

12. Tin

Tin Just an SEO Staff Member

5,847 1,607
    RING THE HMRC THEN!!! And do tell us all what they said to you???

The saying is "Put Up Or Shut Up! Take your gripe to the ones that matter! Maybe then you'll be a bit more humble?

We have already taken your gripe to our accountants, who just dismissed the issue.....WHAT more do you want?????

Ray

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
  13. DuaneJackson

9,527 1,118
    It's not "in return for". I was modding before I had any advert on here and would mod regardless of whether I had one or not

Despite numerous professional accountants telling you you're wrong?

I'm afraid it is. As I've said before, most of this is over my head. But if any point of your argument relies on there being a market value of more than £0 for modding here then you've lost the argument already (for the two hundred and seventeeth time)

14. Wild Goose

1,340 413
    I'm beginning to think this post is a wind-up. I'm getting a strong feeling of existentialism (heh heh dictionary time Ling).

btw I forgot to thank you for your kind advice - our Chinese visitor seemed at ease, and we steered clear of taboo subjects. He wanted to visit a strip club - I imagine they don't have them in China?

In the words of Grumpy the Scot, I'm Going To Declare Myself Out. Goodnight and may your God go with you.:)

15. FireFleur

1,868 441
    Taxis have to have a bail of hay in them, and you can shoot a Scotsman in some city in England with a bow and arrow if you spot them within the city walls at night fall :)

There are so many laws, they very rarely get taken off the books, primarily because we are not based on the letter of the law, it has to go in front of a magistrate, who will use precedent and interpretation.

What that leads to is prosecutions tend to only be bought where there is a proper case to answer for, in this instance it is very unlikely a law is being broken.

16. movietub

movietub UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,859 1,109
    No I agree!

RING THEM!

If you don't then what are you saying? That you have time to argue this much about something that doesnt affect you? Yet you don't have the time to instantly prove you are correct???

Explain the whole scandal! Your problem will come when they realise you are more interested in tax than they are and hang up. But I feel thats a lesson you need to learn maybe...

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: movietub Member since: Nov 6, 2008
  17. Wild Goose

1,340 413
    Ling,

Go get some sleep. You've gone the full 15 rounds and the entire mod tag team is assembling. Expect a blitzkrieg at any moment.

I know you'll stick around, so good luck, and don't forget to return my letter of engagement and enclose the 50% deposit. :)

18. movietub

movietub UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,859 1,109
    Come on Ling - don't ignore me... Give em a call

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: movietub Member since: Nov 6, 2008
  19. Rusty

569 111
    Not on here.

Kerry

20. Wild Goose

1,340 413
    ha ha excellent. And I suppose you know he's a Scotsman because he's the ginger guy in a kilt who hasn't bought a round all night :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.