Need 30 Businesses for Free Advertising

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Siobhan_Jones, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rusty

Rusty UKBF Newcomer Free Member

569 111
    NO, IT IS YOU who are consistantly making snide insinuations that others are not abiding by rules. I am painfully aware that you would only be prepared to let this thread die if you have the last word!!!

No one has called you any unpleasant names that I am aware of, all I see is the mods (and those of us connected with them in any business capacity) have tried (Oh how we have tried) to show you the error of your ways.

Kerry (just a mod's mol)

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: Rusty Member since: May 6, 2006
  2. DuaneJackson

DuaneJackson UKBF Legend Full Member

9,527 1,118
    The ability to be able to remove this thread was said by me in response to your suggestion that the mods and Sift are somehow embarrased by your startling revelations.

But you know that. You're just saying anything you can to

a) have the last word
    and
    b) not apologise for causing offence.

I'm bowing out now to do some work (fifth time). I reserve my right to come back later and point out any other inadequacies as a human being that you may display.

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: DuaneJackson Member since: Jul 14, 2005
  3. Mr. Mu

Mr. Mu UKBF Newcomer Free Member

288 11
    My top tips for managing online conflict are:

1) Don't react - you'll only do your reputation more damage
    2) Respond... once; politely, openly, clearly, reponsibly
    3) Don't take it personally - if someone's angry, it's their anger
    4) Leave it - conflict is addictive, resist the urge to go back to it

:)

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: Mr. Mu Member since: Dec 7, 2006
  4. DuaneJackson

9,527 1,118
    I have.

I went past politley showing her the errors of her ways and moved on to impolitey pointing out unpleasant truths.

5. DuaneJackson

9,527 1,118
    Thanks Mr Mu. I think I need to print those out and staple above my monitor.

Don't take this the wrong way - but haven't you lost a colon recently?

6. sysops

sysops UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,923 887
    You're just drawing me in now :)

Ok, I actually think you are right about the moderation for adverts fiasco (ModderGate?), and I think it's good that you have the energy to continue to needle the mods about it.

But in the grand scheme of things, I personally don't care very much.

And my view of taxes is somewhat dimmer than yours. You say taxes are good because they pay for stuff we need - true. But they also pay for a hugely bloated and inefficient public sector, and armies of unemployed layabouts permanently living on benefits.

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: sysops Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  7. DuaneJackson

9,527 1,118
    I'll ignore the "once again" as I've not seen an apology from you before. And I'll even ignore the implied non-ownership of the offence.

But thank you for your apology. I accept it and hope you don't feel you've lost too much face. Especially as you seem to have just aplogised for a noun and therefore all offence, ever, regardless of who it was caused by or when.

I apologise to you if you think any of my comments were below the belt.

8. FireFleur

FireFleur UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,868 441
    The payment of 100, that is the problem. Now if you pruned someone's bushes and they weeded your flower bed, you won't get done for tax evasion, well not quite yet :)

If you had a contract to prune the bushes if the other party also weeded the flower bed, then you are on the first step to being taxed for it, probably have to pay in clippings, and daisies :).

Oh I know, they could put a link up to HMRC, use a character out of Asterix and the Golden Cauldron, similar but not exact; don't want to cross copyright laws :) And have it display 50% of the time.

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: FireFleur Member since: Oct 29, 2008
  9. Rusty

569 111
    I am so caught up in this that I haven't had time to read all the posts properly but this one stood out a mile. If one person said I had offended them then I would stop and instantly analyse what I had done. The fact is that there are several people, including me, that are deeply offended by Ling's continued assault on their integrity.

Kerry

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  10. FireFleur

1,868 441
  11. Tin

Tin Just an SEO Staff Member

5,845 1,607
    It isn't embarassing for anyone other than yourself Ling. Alan (Alpha) was right earlier, you started on a mission to cast doubt on the integrity of the mods on here through unfair and unfounded assumptions. You then demanded an explanation of whether Sift or the mods were accounting for the free ads that we have. I fully agree with comments made by a number of members on this thread, it's your credibility that has been brought into question and not the owners or moderators of this forum.

Being honest, I don't believe for a second that this sort of thread would have lasted the distance on any other UK forum other than UKBF, it would have been deleted a long time ago for a number of reasons - I believe this is testimony to the fact that moderation here is fair and above all, does allow members to air their views accordingly whether rightly or wrongly.

"unpleasant names"? That did surprise me to be honest because I have been witness to your personal and at times very derogatory comments made by you without provocation to a number of members on this forum which in my opinion were completely unfair! And yes, the moderators (including myself) gave you the benefit of doubt!

I no longer afford you this luxury because I know from past experience you have pushed the patience of moderators (I speak for myself here but I think it's quite obvious that you have influenced others too) and I personally think that if you cannot post in a manner that befits the ethos of this business forum then this may not be the place for you, both from a members perspective and moderators perpective.

What are you waiting for Ling??? As a model citizen you know what you need to do!!! (and I'm right behind you)

REPORT IT TO THOSE THAT YOU FEEL NEED TO KNOW!

Then you can sleep at night in the safe knowledge that you've done the right thing!

Oh... one other thing! When ever you get a response to a thread that cast doubt on your understanding of accountancy (like Alpha's post ages ago in this thread, it's always worth looking at the member's account so that you can get some idea whether their occupation may have a bearing on the comments they make in posts)! Saying you had no idea Alpha was a qualified accountant is no excuse... do your homework!

Like Duane says, an apology would work wonders, don't let yourself down by being stubborn!

Ray

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
  12. FireFleur

1,868 441
    Double posting - due to forum lag :)

13. DuaneJackson

9,527 1,118
    Re the unpleasant names - there's a phrase about the pot calling the kettle black. Look at the way you've spoken to the 15 and 16 years olds that come on here looking for help.

And there's the difference. I'm happy to accept it's over my head and bow down to the greater wisdom of the 6 or so accountants that said you're wrong. Plus the one I pay to worry about these things on my behalf.

There's no button to give myself a strike on here, so i just slapped my self around the face. I hope that'll suffice.
    Incase anyone missed it. Ling has apologised now. So you can stop demanding an apology

14. Wild Goose

Wild Goose UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,340 413
    Hi Sysops,
    Agreed. The Mods have stated clearly that the "actions" are separate. Ling accepts that if the actions are separate - independent of each other - then there's no barter situation.

Put like that it does rather sound like one agreement, cut and dried :)

The question would be, am I mowing your lawn because I like you, or for the £100. Money confuses it - let's suppose the consideration you're giving isn't £100 but something non-monetary. I know, you're giving me a plug - an advert if you like - in your magazine.

So back to the question: am I mowing your lawn because I like you (you certainly are a most attractive simian) or am I doing it in return for a free advertisement?

The answer depends upon what was agreed when the deal was struck: clearly if we agreed that one was in return for the other beforehand, then we have an agreement. You would be contractually bound to honour your side of the agreement after your lawn was mowed.

But what if I VOLUNTEERED to mow your lawn. No strings, no reward - voluntarily because I'm a fit young ape and you're past 14 and frail. That's a unilateral "agreement" - one action.

After I've mowed the lawn you offer to give me a plug in your magazine. It could be a free slot or a heavily discounted rate or maybe just a special thanks to Mr Ape article for mowing the vicarage lawn prior to the church fete. The point is, it would be freely given and independent of my mowing your lawn. Remember I've volunteered to mow your lawn - you have no obligation to pay. That you choose to do so simpy opens up an unconnected second "agreement" - action 2.

It's the fact that you are not contractually bound to give me anything in return for mowing your lawn that makes it stand-alone. Any subsequent promise you make to me will also be separate and stand alone.

English law is full of nuances, as Firefleur says. Maybe we should get the lawyer with the Green Apple Logo to adjudicate.

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: Wild Goose Member since: Aug 15, 2008
  15. Wild Goose

Wild Goose UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,340 413
    I'm afraid Ling has you hoist by your own petard there Duane.

"If we were at all bothered about having it continue, we'd have stopped it by now."

sends out a clear message

"If we now stop it, it's because were bothered about having it continue."

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 By: Wild Goose Member since: Aug 15, 2008
  16. FireFleur

1,868 441
    FireFleur - though I have somewhat hijacked the original account holders account :)

Yes, Wild Goose is right, it is about agreement in the UK not action, money is special it creates a contract, so only a certain amount can be gifted, property is another one that is awkward. Bartering happens in farming communities, and on the whole it is tolerated, but if they get into disagreement they can find themselves guilty of tax evasion, both parties.

Most who do this, just make the items appear, so a few eggs when they go over for a drink, and perhaps some milk when they meet up elsewhere.

If Ling had her way we would be taxed for making a meal for people, sharing a bottle of wine, and giving Christmas presents, it is not Communist China here, well not quite yet :)

Anyway back to the popcorn and the show.

17. Rusty

569 111
    Not according to our accountant you haven't!

Didn't hear it the first time, can you say it again?

We can't do any more Ling, I have today taken your insinuations to our accountant, asked in all innocence if we were doing anything wrong and he has said that it is not something that he thinks should be invoiced, recorded or taxable or any such thing. What more do you want us to do.

I can tell you if you added up for all the time that Alpha, Duane and Tin put into this forum, Sift could not afford it, adverts or no adverts!

Kerry

18. Rusty

569 111
    Duane, how could you;);)

19. DuaneJackson

9,527 1,118
    Oi, don't you start. It took 700 posts to sort Ling out!

As I said to her, that comment was in response to her saying we were "embarassed".

I don't think it sends out a clear message in the way you suggest at all. The message it clearly sends out is "If we were at all bothered about having it continue, we'd have stopped it by now."

"This apple is green" doesn't send out a message that "all things that are green are apples" or even "all apples are green"

There a number of other reasons any of the mods or sift could stop/lock/delete this thread, the reason wouldn'thave to be related to anything posted by anyone prior to my quoted Tate-esque comment

20. Rusty

569 111
    No, I am not blind nor Japanese or a Zulu, however I am deeply offended by you but don't let that worry you as I am sure you won't.

Kerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.