My Favourite Animals - Our New Baby

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by SillyJokes, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SillyJokes

SillyJokes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,505 598
    Just a bit of SEO at the moment, page one for (cheap cuddly toys!).

No PPC yet as the limited range will mean that it will be harder to make it pay, particularly on such low cost items. We don't do any PPC with SillyJokes and still manage to turn quite a few orders.

To be honest the fraud figures on PPC put me off and then when you do it all you get is PPC and SEO companies phoning you up touting for business.

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  2. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

15,440 3,068
    Do you know how many little hedgehogs you need to sell to break even?

ps saw your silly joke stickers used by news at 10 as a small visual joke against the PO strike - neat :)

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  3. JamieM

JamieM UKBF Ace Free Member

2,280 343
    Position 4 as well. Nice!

I am impressed that SillyJokes is all SEO. Do you advertise anywhere offline as well? Apart from BBC News. :D

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 By: JamieM Member since: Mar 22, 2006
  4. SillyJokes

4,505 598
    CJD - we'll need to sell a lot of hedgehogs to break even on website set up costs, but as we can store and ship product along side SJ stuff, there has been v. little overheads in terms of set up there.

JamieM - we don't do much offline advertising, but we do a lot of getting product into magazines, and before you ask, they come to us! Recently had product in NME, Heat, various Celeb lovin' chat type magazines, Asian Bride, Cosmo Bride, Ideal Home etc

Once the range is up on MFA we will do a bit more of this as with my recent order there is going to be quite a bit more, including Giraffes at long last- hurrah!

We are still only getting 20 people through the site each day at the moment and the conversions I think are acceptable for this quantity. Obviously it's my second string and at the moment the Royal Mail strikes are causing a lot of work at SJ and effecting any orders people think of making on MFA.

Posted: Oct 12, 2007 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  5. Baby's Best

Baby's Best UKBF Newcomer Free Member

189 6
    Unfortunately, there is not a lot of criticism I can give you. It's a very nice site: the logo works well and the colours used make absolute sense (especially with the add to basket and the order info).
    What would be a good idea: on a product page underneath the product where it says: also available:xyz it would be nice to a picture of what else is available.
    And the ts and cs need tidying up, I find. I would create more paragraphs to make it more readable.

Best of luck with your new venture!:)

Posted: Oct 12, 2007 By: Baby's Best Member since: Sep 19, 2007
  6. boho

boho UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,411 135
    Giraffes....yay :)

Posted: Oct 12, 2007 By: boho Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  7. SillyJokes

4,505 598
    And for you giraffe fans out there, may I present cuddly toys of the same name?

Girafffes have landed

[​IMG]

Two sizes available.

Posted: Oct 28, 2007 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  8. SillyJokes

4,505 598
    Well, a quick update. Sales have picked up, we are getting about one a day. traffic remains pretty low, lucky to get 50 visitors a day - but the free prize draw helped a bit, plus we now have some interesting data on what animals people like and a small list to email a voucher to in December.

I try and add a couple of animals a week and often build links with people looking to link with SillyJokes, so that helps.

I'd like to do some corporate sized orders and hope we will be able to do something with companies.

At the moment I'm quite pleased with the level of orders given it's a part time site. It reminds me of when we started SillyJokes 8 years ago and now look at us!

Still waiting for comments from Sir Earl - getting lots of people visiting on 'Cheap cuddly toys'!

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  9. RayB

RayB Banned

6,474 242
    Hi Caroline,

I missed this thread first time around - interesting to chart the progress from launch of a new store launched by someone who knows their onions :)

It sounds like decent progress is being made - nice products BTW!

I too am playing with one KW with "cheap" in it - ours is bottom P1 and rising - and their does seem to be merit in targeting this on occasion

Certainly I tested "our" phrase on Adwords and there is traffic for it.

You might get a little higher on P1 for your phrase with a little tweak to the <title> tag ...

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 By: RayB Member since: Nov 12, 2006
  10. SillyJokes

4,505 598
    Thanks, for "Cheap Cuddly Animal" we are no2 which I thought was pretty good and targetted too.

I have hopes for this site to do 10% of what SJ does fairly easily. It would be good to have it in a position to give to one of the kids to run when they are older and it pay them through Uni.

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  11. Matt1959

Matt1959 UKBF Legend Free Member

6,295 1,226
    it comes across that your having fun with this - thats great!

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 By: Matt1959 Member since: Sep 8, 2006
  12. RayB

RayB Banned

6,474 242
    Ah, understood - doing well on the KW's then ;)

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 By: RayB Member since: Nov 12, 2006
  13. Kwackers

Kwackers UKBF Regular Free Member

295 23
    Just emailed you regarding the possiblity of wholesale.

the email bounced straight back

Thanks

Grant.draper at Blueyonder.co.uk

Posted: Nov 27, 2007 By: Kwackers Member since: Nov 25, 2007
  14. SillyJokes

4,505 598
    You are right, can't believe I didn't see this. I'll get it fixed today.

Posted: Nov 27, 2007 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  15. Kwackers

Kwackers UKBF Regular Free Member

295 23
    good job i was interested in your products then really, think of all these people that havn't been able to contact you!

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 By: Kwackers Member since: Nov 25, 2007
  16. JamieM

2,280 343
    Hi Caroline,

After you posted on another thread I was wondering how My Favourite Animals is coming along a year on. How has your progress been?

I think I am about to buy a monkey for my mad employee as we are always arguing about who is the monkey and who is the grinder. :D

Posted: Oct 24, 2008 By: JamieM Member since: Mar 22, 2006
  17. SillyJokes

4,505 598
    Hi Jamie,

Thanks for asking. My Favourite Animals is pottering along quite nicely. We have spent the year adding animals onto the site so we have a pretty good range now, although not exhaustive.

Sales are picking up coming up to Christmas and I'm partcularly excited about a new range called YooHoo and Friends

[​IMG]

The site has appeared in the RSPCA's kids magazine Animal Action and a great toy blog site is currently running a competition

http://www.alifemoreinteresting.com/

It's not making life changing money but I'm pleased with progress given the amount of time spent on it. It reminds me of the early days of SillyJokes when 30 orders a week seemed a fortune instead of a steady hour.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
    Posted: Oct 24, 2008 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  18. JamieM

2,280 343
    Cool. A good number of comments on that blog too. I like how everyone is saying 'My Favourite Animal is a.....' a good branding decision there. :D

I seen those crazy squirrels when I was browsing.

I will look forward to receiving the monkey. It is called Samantha. :D

Hope you have a busy Christmas.

Posted: Oct 24, 2008 By: JamieM Member since: Mar 22, 2006
  19. SillyJokes

4,505 598
    Just thougth I would update you all a bit on the state of [URLNO="http://www.myfavouriteanimals.co.uk"]My Favourite Animals[/URLNO].

This year has been one of enormous behind the scenes change at SillyJokes leaving precious little time to spend on My Fav Animals, however the little site is like a puppy dog, still pleased to see you no matter how badly it's treated.

This Christmas it has performed amazingly with 70+ orders on some of the peak days this festive season making it a serious contributor to the SillyJokes empire ecomony.

In fact, it's performance has earnt it the right to have a bit of time spending on it this year.

One of the funniest developments is that my daughter must raise cash to go on a big overseas trip with the guides so I suggested she do something to sell on MFA .

With a bit of inside knowledge on what people have been asking for and the ability to combine soft toys and practical jokes we have put together a [URLNO="http://www.myfavouriteanimals.co.uk/african/hippo/farting-hippo.php"]farting hippo inspired by Abby's Bert on NCIS[/URLNO]

[URLNO="http://www.myfavouriteanimals.co.uk/african/hippo/farting-hippo.php"][​IMG][/URLNO]

It's a great lesson for my kid about costings, pricing, selling online etc and they have been pretty successful.

Posted: Dec 17, 2009 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  20. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

15,440 3,068
    Brilliant, I like getting updates, thanks.

How much of your revenue is Christmas responsible for do you think? (December is the worst month of the year for us - too many non-business days).

Farting hippos - lovely :cool:

Posted: Dec 17, 2009 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.