My Advice on How to Start a Man and Van Delivery Business

Discussion in 'First Steps To Starting A Business' started by 1manandvan, Aug 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,241 1,731
    One thing I would add (I know nothing about man and van, but in general)

If you have all the extra insurance REALLY make people aware of the fact.

Have printed out copies of policies handy for people to see and have them clearly displayed on your website in a prominent place.

One of the business insurance brokers (can't remember who) has a handy little widget which links through to the policy, great idea I think, you don't particularly need a widget, but have a link through to a page on your own site that shows all your policies.

Posted: Feb 9, 2016 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  2. Laura Bah

Laura Bah UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi there, First of all just wanted to say thanks for all the great advice. I just wanted to ask how you go about responding to requests for removals where you need more than one man and how you went about getting help?. Would you suggest linking up with another van with a man as a back up so you don't turn down any work in the beginning?. I'm helping my husband set up his business and we are just trying to decide on whether to go for a high transit or a luton van, but was thinking of perhaps getting the transit & linking up with someone else just in case we get larger jobs (someone with a larger van). What do you think? how did you work with others?

Posted: May 12, 2016 By: Laura Bah Member since: May 12, 2016
  3. 1manandvan

1manandvan UKBF Newcomer Full Member

23 22
    Hi Laura,

When I started, I mostly took on jobs that only required one man; eBay, and small furniture collections, etc. When I did eventually start taking on bigger jobs, I advertised for help on and paid my helper £10 per hour. Be careful of doing the same; I did come across some very unreliable help.
    The better solution is as you've suggested, to team up with another local man with van. Be sure to agree on a price before quoting your client, and make sure that you are the one earning the most because you found the job.

BTW... I would suggest a large Transit van.

I've included an old enquiry (IN GREEN) and my response (IN PURPLE) to show you what worked best for me when I did receive an enquiry for two men.

ENQUIRY

Approx date and time required? ( Please state if this is date is flexible ):
    Thursday 29th October - flexible

Collection Postcode OR Town:
    Sidcup

Delivery Postcode OR Town:
    Sidcup

Please list All items that you want to be moved.:
    Household furniture, 1 bed, 1 chest of drawers, 10 boxes.

How many men and vans do you need ?:
    I need 2 men and 1 van

Add ALL flights of stairs (PLEASE ADD THE COLLECTION AND DELIVERY)
    One flight in total (Add collection and delivery)

Any height or width restrictions, parking permit requirements or ANY OTHER ENQUIRY ?: None

MY RESPONSETO THE ABOVE ENQUIRY IS BELOW

Hi (name removed),

Thanks for your enquiry.

At the time of this reply, I can help you move on Thursday 29th October from 10:30 am. I can supply two men with a large long wheelbase transit van.

Before booking please see my van dimensions at ......

Please note -
    IMPORTANT ! This quotation is only valid for the items and a number of stairs listed in your original enquiry.
    This quote assumes that beds and wardrobes are dismantled before arrival and that all items will be packed and ready to be loaded.
    Fridges and freezers taller than 1750mm will need to be loaded lying flat and left switched off in the upright position for 8 hours before switching back on.
    Any parking fees are payable by the client, and if a parking permit is required, again this is the responsibility of the customer.
    The cost for two men and a van is £172 for the first two hours. After that, we charge £80 per hour or part thereof.

Terms: Cash, Credit Card ( No Amex) and Debit Card. Sorry, No cheques accepted.

There are NO EXTRA CHARGES!

To book this job, please reply and supply me with the:
    Full collection address
    Contact numbers

Many thanks.

Craig Bruun

Posted: May 12, 2016 By: 1manandvan Member since: Jul 3, 2014
  4. Laura Bah

Laura Bah UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi Craig,

Sorry for the delayed response, I was on holiday. That is great advice, thank you very much for taking the time to explain.

Many thanks,
    Laura

Posted: May 21, 2016 By: Laura Bah Member since: May 12, 2016
  5. Pawel1988

Pawel1988 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    HI,
    I would like to know how much I should like to charge per mile to collect something from London? I live in Milton Keynes so its about 55 miles. I have VW Crafter LWB and one company ask me to give a quote to collect a TV. I want to give them honest and good price for both sides. Please advise.

Thank you
    Pawel

Posted: Jun 10, 2016 By: Pawel1988 Member since: Feb 3, 2016
  6. Robbo17

Robbo17 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi All, am new to the forum and considering starting my own man with a van business. Have found your posts very helpful and have given me many ideas and things to consider. What is realistic earning potential in your opinion?? Can I make £50k per year doing this.

Posted: Jul 28, 2016 By: Robbo17 Member since: Jul 28, 2016
  7. codsey

codsey UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I have just been made redundant, and I thought I could use my hgv licence to start up my own haulage company as a man band,but I've looked into the cost of a operates licence and it's going to cost too much.
    So I thought maybe I could do one man and van operation,but looking at all the insurance I will need may mean it's too expensive,and I will definitely be on my own to begin with,so liftin large things like a sofa maybe restricted
    thanks for any advise

Posted: Dec 15, 2016 By: codsey Member since: Dec 15, 2016
  8. Riffraff65

Riffraff65 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi

HELP!

I've been reading a few threads on here relating to Man and Van businesses. I decided a while ago to get in to property renovation and thought that as I would need a van anyway, I should put it to good use between doing up houses. So I've bought the van.... a clean Citroen Relay MWB. I've been on the big online comparison sites and got various quotes only to find that when I speak to the insurance company/broker and explain fully the nature of the work (removals, collection and delivery work etc) they can't offer me cover! They are classing me as a removals man working in the haulage industry as a delivery driver???

What on earth do I do!?

Any suggestions gratefully received....the sooner the better please!!

Cheers

Simon

Posted: Jan 10, 2017 By: Riffraff65 Member since: Dec 7, 2016
  9. Teochter

Teochter UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I've only just registered, yesterday, on UKBF; and I'm two years late in telling Craig that I absolutely love his positive, can-do, attitude. Well done Craig, brilliant. The world could do with more like you!

Posted: Nov 8, 2017 By: Teochter Member since: Nov 7, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.