Must like the pain !

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by dan pack, May 18, 2019.

1. dan pack

dan pack UKBF Newcomer Full Member

22 1
    Hi all,

Back again with a new site, I think i know some of what is coming but here goes. Being totally peed off with the old web people etc etc we created this dan-packaging-machinery.co.uk.

Still some ongoing bits to do but any thoughts most welcome.

Cheers

Steve

Posted: May 18, 2019 By: dan pack Member since: Jul 29, 2010
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,356 8,923
    Nothing special. Everything is hidden away in the menu. The homepage should show the range of products.

Why use shopify if it’s not a shop?

But in general it’s not very inspiring. Looks DIY.

Posted: May 19, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. dan pack

22 1
    Thank you

We looked at the products and the range is diverse in not only application but price and having seen the way others in the industry done we went towards machine by application format.

Why shopify well when it comes to websites we have just got sick of being let down and held to ransom not only financially but also time wise by others.

Doing it this way has allowed us to get what we wanted, the full process was painless and has been from the start.

We where badly let down for example when the original sights ssl cert ran out leaving to all the not secure messages etc. From buying the domain name to getting the sight live took about 4 weeks with no outside help.

We got rid of the hero from the other site as well!.

Posted: May 19, 2019 By: dan pack Member since: Jul 29, 2010
  4. fisicx

30,356 8,923
    Looks like you had a bad developer. SSL is usually automatic, no need to renew.

However, your homepage still needs to be a grid showing the products. Don’t need anything else.

Look at the tradesman theme in my signature for an example of what I mean.

5. Frank Meacey

Frank Meacey UKBF Newcomer Full Member

9 3
    Hi!

Overall I don't think it's bad at all! I think it's easy to navigate and from the navigation menu a potential customer can find exactly what they're looking for.

What I would suggest is add more links tot he footer (for SEO purposes) and maybe look at reducing the amount of text on the homepage? Visitors of your website often haven't got time to be reading paragraphs of text before they move onto the next site.

Hope this helps!

Posted: May 19, 2019 By: Frank Meacey Member since: Aug 20, 2017
  6. dan pack

22 1
    Hi Frank,

Many thanks for that, by links do you mean just to a few pages such as shrink wrap machines, cardboard shredders and flow wrapping etc

Speak soon

Steve

7. Frank Meacey

9 3
    Hi Dan!

Yes, links to your core products (the one's you really want to push). By putting them in your footer, each page of your site will include these links. Google will learn these are your most important pages which will help SEO

8. dan pack

22 1
    Perfect thanks Frank will the fact we have links between our 2 sites be doing any harm?. There are a couple not products that are on both

Cheers

Steve

9. Frank Meacey

9 3
    Nope that should be fine :)

10. fisicx

30,356 8,923
    Sorry to say @Frank Meacey and @dan pack that footer links just don't work like this any more. Google looks at relevance when assessing the value of a link. This is why it vitally important to get the main product categories on the homepage (not in the menu or the footer). You then drill down to the products and from these forwards to related products. You need to take a much more holistic approach to the site structure and internal linking.

The key thing to remember is: people will only be on your site because they want a machine. So your job is to lead them to the machine and then sell it to them. Neither of these things are happening effectively.

A decent developer could have done this in a couple of days. And the right developer would have advised on how to properly structure the site.

11. Frank Meacey

9 3
    Thanks for clarifying

12. dan pack

22 1
    Thanks both,

So we have the 4 industry sectors which contain the machines used in that industry would you de text some of the home page and replace with a carousel or something similar with the machine types ie shrink-flow-sleeve-shredder-etc-etc

Cheers

Steve

13. fisicx

30,356 8,923
    The problem comes from people stuffing the footer full of links with no real reason other than to boost ranking. So Google now just ignores them.

But if you have a widget packing machine with links to a widget labeller and packing materials (because they are related to the main product). It's all about relevance.

No, I'd have a grid showing all products or the main categories - the industry sector doesn't matter. Bin everything else - it's not of interest to the potential buyer.

I want side seal machine so I'd expect to see this listed on the homepage. I click on the image to see the range. Can then look at the actual product, check it meets my needs and make an enquiry.

And the enquiry system needs a lot of work. The way it's set up is clunky and impractical. And that's because of the limitations of Shopify.

14. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,177 1,720
    Posted: May 19, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  15. dan pack

22 1
    Hi UK

Many thanks for the reply

is this detrimental and could you elaborate if you have time

Cheers