Must-have features for an e-comm site in 2019

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by JJWinst, Jan 31, 2019.

1. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,387 8,927
    If I get a sign up pop up when I go to buy something I leave the site. It might work for some but for many it’s a pain. And google will penalise you if entry to the site is blocked by a marketing modal.

Posted: May 4, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  2. Scott2019

Scott2019 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 1
    I don't disagree with you, I'm not a fan of pop ups myself, I simply have the option as part of the landing page and the customer can decide whether my offer is good enough for them to give me their e-mail address in exchange. My model is to give a lot of value to the customer so they want to do that rather than being pushed towards it.

Posted: May 4, 2019 By: Scott2019 Member since: May 3, 2019
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,387 8,927
    A lot depends on the product or service. In many cases I’m not interested in your offers as they require a sale in the future and much of the stuff I buy isn’t repeatable.

And I buy more off eBay and Amazon than I do anywhere else.

However, I can’t remember the last time I signed up for a newsletter or marketing emails. The few times I did unsubscribed once the crud started to arrive.

Posted: May 4, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Regular Free Member

351 69
    A couple of reasons people will give you their email address via this method:

1. You are offering a discount in return, so they sign-up to get the discount to use for a purchase thay may have made anyway.
    2. It isn't clear how to get rid of the box without entering an email address.
    There are, obviously, many other reasons why they'll give you their email but the benefit of receiving a newsletter either monthly, weekly or every ten minutes is well down the list.

Like @fisicx, I will often bail out as soon as such a box appears because it smacks of desperation. I also don't like rewarding businesses for annoying me.

On the off-chance I do give an email address to a company I've never dealt with before, it will be a throwaway account that I only access in order to get a confirmation link. Any further communications will be ignored

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Posted: May 4, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  5. 1977

1977 UKBF Regular Full Member

199 21
    The only reason I sign up to any company email is to stalk their behaviour/promotions

Posted: May 4, 2019 By: 1977 Member since: May 10, 2012