MP4 to OGV 5 Times as Big?

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Tin, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Tin

Tin Just an SEO Staff Member

5,942 1,647
    Hi

I'm just creating some videos and have exported them into .mp4 files. As .mp4 files they play fine without any problems and are easy to read, understand and to me they seem very browser friendly too. I have two questions that I hope someone might answer.

1: I was told when I began creating videos that I also needed to create a corresponding .ogv file? I have done this as a standard procedure in the past but today I've tried creating an ogv file via a number of software downloads and in every instance, the ogv file is circa 5-10 times larger in file size that the original .mp4 file I've created. Example, 24mb .mp4 file gets converted into a 150mb ogv file.
    So, my first question is "do I need to have each mp4 file accompanied to a corresponding ogv file"?

2: Can I ignore ogv files from now on, are they a 'must include' file for every video I create?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
  2. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Ace Full Member

1,581 397
    Why? What are you creating them for.

Are you sure the advice was not meant to mean you export to ogv as well as mp4 rather than converting the mp4 to ogv? I am wondering what the benefit of converting form one lossy format to another is.

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  3. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,367 4,344
    1. No.

2. Yes.

There are more video formats than you can shake a stick at - I kid you not! MP4 is the most used MPEG (Motion Pictures Expert Group) creation and probably the most accepted compressed video format.

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  4. The Byre

10,367 4,344
    Obviously none whatsoever - I assume (hope?) that the OP is creating these both from an edited and assembled video which is a collection of less compressed format like AVI or uncompressed RAW.

The OP has not told us what he is using for this exporting function.

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  5. Tin

5,942 1,647
    @gpietersz - No, the process was to export to mp4 then produce from that mp4 an ogv file. The platform I want to upload a video to is Drupal, which appears to require both an mp4 and an ogv when uploading a video and this has never been a problem until now. My thoughts are that of @The Byre in that it is not necessary, although currently my admin platform is suggesting that it is.

Interestingly, reading your replies have raised an idea in my head so I did a little digging around. Apparently older versions of Firefox did not support mp4 natively but could play video in their browser using other container standards such as Webm and OGG.

So Monday morning I'll get my tech guy to remove the need for the ogv and make my life simple.

Thanks for the input.

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
  6. gpietersz

1,581 397
    Bad process. It means you combine the flaws of both so the ogv and mp4.

Posted: Jun 28, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  7. gpietersz

1,581 397
    The choice may also be so (some people) can stay below patent thresholds for mp4 (strictly speaking the H264 encoding).

Definitely better than your current process!

You might also consider using webm for browsers other than Safari.

8. The Byre

10,367 4,344
    That was donkey's ages ago when computers were steam-driven and men dressed their wives in goatskins - so about four years ago!

That's the real reason and also why these open-source platforms like WebM and Drupal don't like stuff like MP4 that cost a bit.

Some open-source stuff like Blender (3D graphics) and GnuCash (bookkeeping) are OK for limited uses, but the moment you need speed and ease of use, you enter the world of commercial software (Premiere, Vegas, Final Cut, etc.) and hosting platforms (YouTube, Vimeo) that pay licenses for plugins and algorithms that actually work and make good on the promise that technology should make life easier.

Posted: Jun 28, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  9. gpietersz

1,581 397
    I assume you mean about video specifically not open source in general?

After all you are almost certainly reading this site using a browser that is either open source, open source with some Google tracking added, or with the hard bits are open source with an Apple UI added!

10. gpietersz

1,581 397
    You are being a bit hard on Gnucash. It is very easy to use and meant to be a desktop application. There are actually much more sophisticated open source bookkeeping apps if you need them (LedgerSMB, the accounting part of Tryton ERP, etc).

I do not know much about 3d graphics, but I do know Blender has a fair number of professional users - it was used for the effects in the TV series of Man in the High Castle, for example.

11. The Byre

10,367 4,344
    I named Blender and Gnucash as being some of the useful bits of the opensource packages. But both have their limitations compared to Maya and SAP for example, but then those are expensive packages. Blender is great for basic 3D - and that covers most things, so yes for that added castle wing, but a giant NO for War of The Planet of the Apes! Gnucash is great until you want to have multiple users and other more sophisticated things.

Chrome and Safari are open-source (source code that anyone can inspect, modify, and enhance)? That would surprise me, but I really do not think so.

Posted: Jun 28, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  12. gpietersz

1,581 397
    But, it is an yes for Man in the High Castle!

In which case you should not use GNUcash if you need those. My point is that there is other open source software that does those things. You are blaming a screwdriver for not being a good chisel.

Chrome is the same as Chromium, which is entirely open source, apart from some Google add ons, the big difference being tracking in Chrome: https://fossbytes.com/difference-google-chrome-vs-chromium-browser/

I use Chromium and it is pretty much identical to Chrome.

Both Chrome and Safari use open source rendering engines that are ultimately forks of KHTML which was written for KDE and is open source. Safari also uses a Javascript engine forked from the KDE one. Chromium uses Google V8 Javascript engine which is also open source.

The KHTML forks legally have to remain open source because of the license for the original code.

The rendering engine and the JS engine are the difficult bits of the code of the browser: things like the UI and cookie management are trivial. That is why there are so many perfectly good web browsers around (there are lots of lesser known ones) but in the last 25 years or so there have been only 4 practical to use rendering engines (and now we are down to 2) if you count the KHTML forks as one.

Incidentally, the actual OS part of MacOS X is open source too.

13. Tin

5,942 1,647
    Correct, so I was told but no longer, it's MP4 all the way now.

Well, that sounds ok as long as they can keep their goatskins on ;)

Ahhh... Drupal, that word brings a tear to my eye. I think I might need to rethink mp4 's now :eek:

Posted: Jun 28, 2020 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005