Moving to the South West

Discussion in 'South West' started by Chris @ businesshands, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Chris @ businesshands

Chris @ businesshands UKBF Newcomer Free Member

22 8
    Hello All,

I'm planning on moving with my family to the South West in the Autumn to be closer to the mother-in-law who will be providing occasional childcare services to our young daughter. I run a small marketing agency focused on start-ups and small business which can be relocated and my partner is starting up a sausage business.

We're thinking of moving to West Dorset or Devon - but where specifically, we don't know. Any advice would be appreciated. We want somewhere with a thriving small business culture (for my business), and maybe foodie markets too for my partners business. Thanks!

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 By: Chris @ businesshands Member since: Aug 10, 2017
  2. billmccallum1957

billmccallum1957 UKBF Ace Full Member

1,849 394
    Much of West Dorset and East Devon is rural, most towns are extremely small.

I used to work and live in Lyme Regis and lived in Bridport for a time (both West Dorset).

One of the major drawbacks is the cost of housing (but that depends on where you're moving from).
    Personally, I would look towards Exeter as the major city for the Devon side of the border and Dorchester for the West Dorset side.

From a business perspective I would tend to look further east towards Bournemouth as its much closer to Southampton and Plymouth offering a wider catchment area with higher population levels.

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 By: billmccallum1957 Member since: Feb 11, 2016