Moving from external host to hosting in house?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by sixtyeight, Jul 11, 2019.

1. sixtyeight

sixtyeight UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 0
    Hi,

I'm looking for a guide on the steps to take when hosting your own website and email server.

Currently this is done by the company that designed my website. The emails are webmail based.

I need to look at storing the emails locally as I don't want to have storage constraints. I also would like to have more control.

This is mainly due to setting up my first CRM and i want the emails to sync correctly.

Cheers

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: sixtyeight Member since: Dec 15, 2017
  2. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,544 609
    Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,357 8,923
    It’s really not worth the hassle of setting up a server at home.

Let someone else look after the hardware, security, backups, DNS and everything else needed to manage website and emails. Storage will no be a problem, most hosts have a sensible limit on email accounts. If you just need to store locally, then you download to your PC using an email client.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. TheoNe

TheoNe UKBF Regular Full Member

135 12
    I would agree with @fisicx - it does seem like a lot of unnecessary bother when there are hosting platforms out there that will take all of the hassle and potential stress off your hands.

If you want to go ahead, this guide is a good start - https://www.websitebuilderexpert.com/hosting-websites/

I hope this helps.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: TheoNe Member since: Jul 6, 2019
  5. sixtyeight

sixtyeight UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 0
    Thanks All.

I have had a look and some hosts offer upto 50gb of storage for single accounts...which is more than enough!

How do i broach this with my current host? I think its a one man band who uses a service called outitgoes. Part of me worries that as he has the accounts in his control and that he could go bandit on me?

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 7:20 AM By: sixtyeight Member since: Dec 15, 2017
  6. mattk

mattk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,715 704
    Have you asked your current hosting provider whether he can support your enhanced requirements and at what cost? It would certainly save you the hassle of moving everything elsewhere.

FYI outitgoes.com is a generic webmail client used by a lot of hosting reseller companies.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 7:52 AM By: mattk Member since: Dec 5, 2005
  7. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,544 609
    If you do decide to move away get a copy of everything off the host's server first for the website / database via the cp and FTP (presuming you have the rights to the website content - check your contract). Download all the email from the server to a local device and then approach them regarding the DNS change, or if the domain is elsewhere simply switch and end your contract with the current host when you've got it set up elswhere.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 9:07 AM By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009