Move all my domains away from 1and1

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by sherbetdipdab, Sep 7, 2019.

1. sherbetdipdab

sherbetdipdab UKBF Regular Free Member

115 15
    Had enough of 1and1 and want to move all my domains (about 100) away from them to another provider. I know I shouldn't have continued to purchase my domains through them, but the first one I purchased 15 years ago was with them and was easy and cheap to just purchase future ones on my same account. Should I wait till they are up for renewal? They all have different renewal dates of course. Bit of a hassle, but guess that is what they want!

Posted: Sep 7, 2019 By: sherbetdipdab Member since: Jan 20, 2019
  2. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,050 271
    The following assumes 1&1 don't charge any fees when you transfer domains away. That's how the vast majority of registrars work given the system is automated and there's no direct cost involved however I wouldn't be surprised if 1&1 do charge for transferring domains away given their reputation. I have seen one provider doing this before.

UK domains - you can retag them to your new registrar immediately. There shouldn't be any costs involved and your renewal dates stay the same.

The rest of your domains - you'll pay the new provider a transfer fee to bring them in (generally equal to one year's registration) however the domain's expiry date is extended by one year, so this is equivalent to renewing your domain early. Therefore it's up to you whether you transfer them as they come up for renewal or immediately, it generally doesn't make any difference. Personally, I would transfer immediately if possible just to have the migration done and clear my head.

If you're looking for a new provider I would recommend Hover. They're a bit more pricey than most but you get a great control panel and excellent support. There aren't many good domain registration providers out there, so many have antiquated control panels which sometimes barely function.

Good luck!

Posted: Sep 7, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  3. sherbetdipdab

115 15
    Thanks a lot. I was thinking of NamesCheap but will check Hover out? I will ask 1and1 about fees? Any other tips for moving? Wouldn't be surprised if they're some crafty tricks from 1and1, I guess they don't refund you for the time left on the domain? Eg if I move it 6 months after renewing it for 12 months.

4. Mike Hayes

1,050 271
    Namecheap have a good reputation. Have used them myself for many years in the past and was generally happy, just not a fan of the interface! Functionality and support wise there's nothing wrong with them, definitely one of the better providers.

In terms of other tips - are all of your domains using external nameservers (e.g. your hosting provider's nameservers)? If so that's good, nothing to worry about there. However if you're using 1&1's DNS (configuring records directly with 1&1), then you need to plan how you're going to copy these records across to your new registrar. Generally you can transfer the domain, which will continue pointing at your old registrar's nameservers (who will usually keep your records live for a while afterwards if only because their systems haven't realised the transfer has complete), then set up the DNS records at your new registrar and switch the nameservers. This would need to be done quickly after the transfer is complete or mid transfer if the new registrar will allow you to set up DNS records at this time which some will.

1&1 won't need to refund you because you'll keep any remaining time on your domain's expiry date. For example, let's say you have mywebsite.com. The current expiry date is 5th November 2019. If you transfer this to another registrar now, you'll pay a transfer fee probably equal to the renewal fee but the expiry date will become 5th November 2020. UK domains retain their existing expiry date (no year added on) but generally don't have a transfer in fee, so equally you won't lose out on anything there either.

5. sherbetdipdab

115 15
    Thanks for the helpful advice :)

99% of the domains are just domains, with no hosting. I just purchased them, and never do anything with most of them. So I guess they default to 1and1's nameservers if at all.

So may forward onto my sites, eg if a domain is a similar name I have got, but you can quickly set that up in 1and1 control panel. Most panels should be able to do that.

So do you think I will need to make DNS and nameserver changes?

6. Mike Hayes

1,050 271
    If you have forwarding configured with 1&1 then you will need to set this up with the new registrar.

In this case, most control panels will let you set up the forwarding straight away. Most will then require you to manually switch the domain's nameservers to your new registrar's, others will offer to do this automatically since you're configuring forwarding which relies on this.

Best option is to check with your new registrar's support on this. Transfer one less important domain to begin with to familiarise yourself with the process then the rest should be easy going!

For Namecheap you'll want to transfer the domain, switch it to Namecheap's "BasicDNS" nameservers (https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/767/10/how-to-change-dns-for-a-domain) then configure the URL forwarding (https://www.namecheap.com/support/k...-url-redirect-when-i-use-your-freedns-service).

7. sherbetdipdab

115 15
    Thanks. I have started this process now. For anyone all doing that, it's not too bad. Just go to 1and1 and click into the domain name, then renewals & transfers. Click transfer to a different provider (or something like that). You made need to switch off privacy setting for that domain which it highlights you to, just untick the box. Then enter in the tag of the new provider eg Namescheap is "NAMECHEAP-INC". Then just goto your namescheap account and transfer the domain by entering it into their search and adding it to your basket (for free), checkout and then they'll email you once moved.

.com needs an auth code, which I am working on now. Should be fine, just not quite as slick as moving a .co.uk

Good luck moving away from 1and1! Heard so much rubbish about them over the years, which I ignored, but now I am on the receiving end of it, I am doing something about it. Don't wait like I did!

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: sherbetdipdab Member since: Jan 20, 2019