Motivation to work from home/office

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by billiehop, Sep 11, 2020.

1. billiehop

billiehop UKBF Newcomer

28 1
    Here's one for you.
    Once all the jobs are scheduled and you have done your own running around/jobs and arrive back in the office either at home or an actual office, how do you keep motivated to be proactive and not waste time on this forum or on the internet etc, when you could be generating work doing books etc?

This is a big problem for me, i am easily side tracked and i find working from home too distracting.

Anyone else have this problem and if so how do you combat it?

Posted: Sep 11, 2020 By: billiehop Member since: Sep 10, 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown Contributor

12,353 2,590
    The easiest way is to make a list of all projects for the day with a set time for each and then keep to them. if you cannot do that then change jobs

Posted: Sep 11, 2020 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  3. Alison Moore

Alison Moore Full Member
    Contributor

734 161
    It is tricky, I've been working from home (part-time pre Covid) for over 15 years and it does take motivation. It's definitely easier if you're a business owner as you can work when you like... I often have to work weekends and evenings, so if I skive off a bit during the week, I don't beat myself up over it. I do, however try to keep a routine - start at 9am, finish at 5.30pm. Stop for lunch and try to do something non-work-y.

Posted: Sep 14, 2020 By: Alison Moore Member since: Aug 4, 2016
  4. billiehop

billiehop UKBF Newcomer

28 1
    Thank you for your responses.
    I agree with you. Working from home can be much harder than working in an office.
    You need to be able to motivate yourself.

Posted: Sep 14, 2020 By: billiehop Member since: Sep 10, 2020
  5. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

6,124 2,268
    If it depends on the money that you make as a result of the effort you put in and if you want that money you wont spend your time p£"£sing around .

If you make the same money doing nothing that you make if you were running around like a nut case then I would just spend even more time dossing around if I was you

Hope this helps

Posted: Sep 14, 2020 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  6. oli150194

oli150194 UKBF Newcomer

16 1
    This helped me keep motivated as i had the same issue previously. What really helped me was creating a spreadsheet displaying each working hour and then i split this into what i am going to look at throughout the day and when.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 By: oli150194 Member since: Sep 9, 2020
  7. Joseph K

Joseph K UKBF Newcomer

46 5
    Just do your best to keep focus on the tasks you need to accomplish on the day...;)

Posted: Nov 15, 2020 By: Joseph K Member since: Oct 18, 2020
  8. BustersDogs

BustersDogs Contributor

1,436 281
    I find I do my best work in the mornings before I go out to do the physical part of my job. When I get home rather than try to force myself into working I take a break and do things I like to do, think I have done 7 hours by then most days anyway. I'll pick up a few emails here and there, but for things like doing the books which I do not like I will either do 3 months at once and get it done in a weekend, or will try to do one month at a time in the morning when I have fewer emails.

I am neuro divergent so I can't fight my brain - it sometimes just shuts down and I can spent up to 90 mins waiting for it to kick start. If I stay at the computer it's just wasted time, I get myself into trouble online, and takes longer to kick back in, so I will do something else around the house or with my dogs, and when brain comes back online I can go back to what I was doing, or if there is no more time to work, at least I was productive in a different way.

That's the beauty of working for myself. I can do what I want, when it suits me.

Posted: Nov 16, 2020 By: BustersDogs Member since: Jun 7, 2011
  9. estwig

estwig Contributor

12,616 4,527
    Money, I'm in it for the money

Having somewhere nice to work helps me, good quality chair, good desk, keyboard, mouse, devices in general, good apps, music, good coffee, etc. It's enough that I'm here getting on with it, no need to make it a struggle.

Posted: Nov 16, 2020 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  10. Kevin Joseph

Kevin Joseph UKBF Newcomer

33 3
    A simplye whiteboard near you with all the stuff you've to do works wonders (Coming frrom someone in a very similar situation)

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 By: Kevin Joseph Member since: Sep 1, 2020
  11. Maxitman

Maxitman UKBF Newcomer

1 0
    Totally agree with you. It's a challenge, and I think you're already fixing it, that is, I found out that if I talk to my colleagues, friends, about it, it sort of creates this feeling of, quit messing around and get your **** done.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 By: Maxitman Member since: Nov 21, 2020