Money saving tips for importing from China

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Dreamwaver, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreamwaver

Dreamwaver UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 1
    1.Verify the seller's reputation
    You could check out a seller’s rankings on Alexa.com ,which provides ratings regarding the popularity of a given website. More popular shopping websites are more likely to be legit.

2.Avoid Customs fees
    You could avoid customs fees by import in small quantity.
    Some sellers, for example ,Focalprice.com ,Dealextreme.com or similar shopping sites allow you purchase even 1 pc,and they could send the item via usps, declare $10 at the envolpe,which enable you avoid custom fees.

3.Choose sellers who provide drop shipping
    Some chinese sellers provide drop shipping service.They could ship items directly to your customers, which is a way to saving shipping fees for you.
    4.Focus on items that are not brand name
    Branded Electronics shipped directly from China are almost always imitations.So you are suggested to buy no brand name items.

Posted: May 31, 2010 By: Dreamwaver Member since: May 31, 2010
  2. Morraine

Morraine UKBF Newcomer Free Member

458 63
    Just thought i would comment

Posted: May 31, 2010 By: Morraine Member since: Oct 31, 2008
  3. Dreamwaver

20 1
    1. Why would a manufacture in china have a good alexa rating? your best bet is to find manufactures on large websites like alibaba, global source etc... At least you can find the sourc and not middle men on sites like dhgate etc....

Some supplers, for example,Focalprice.com majors in electronics gadgets, free shipping. ranks 12006 at Alexa.

Posted: Jun 2, 2010 By: Dreamwaver Member since: May 31, 2010
  4. Dreamwaver

20 1
    2. this is just plane ignorant. your not going to get anyware fast trying to pull the wool over HRMC.
    May be I didnot quite get you.You do could avoid tax, if suppliers send item in small packages and declare low value at envolope.Some suppliers do that. eg, Focalprice.com. Lightinthebox.com. and so on.

Posted: Jun 2, 2010 By: Dreamwaver Member since: May 31, 2010
  5. davek17

davek17 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

440 97
    There are so many pitfalls to this its unbelievable.

Firstly it is absolutely totally wrong to assume you can get around HMRC and customs by sneaking small QTY's through. The HMRC might be OK turning a blind eye to the odd personal Ebay purchase having "Private gift" on it, but they're not idiots and you'll get heavily penalised if you start to pull the wool over their eye's. You have to include and declare import duty on all your imports if you're a viable business.

I personally think the days of buying ready made products and importing them are gone unless you can cleverly brand something up, have something unique and you can get sole distributor rights to or somehow get an unrivalled pricing. Some people I know are adept at this but it takes a lot of hard work.

What China is still great for is actually developing your own brand of product from scratch but you need to be absolutely exploicit about what you want and the IP if you want to be good at this.

DaveK17

Posted: Jun 2, 2010 By: davek17 Member since: May 14, 2009
  6. The Wholesale Forums

The Wholesale Forums UKBF Regular Free Member

393 63
    Alexa.com simply provides traffic statistics (albeit relatively inaccurate stats at that). The supplier you are considering should have some presence on some of the main trading platforms such as Alibaba.com, GlobalSources.com, Made-in-China and so forth. Google their name, that's a start.

Tax evasion is not a smart move, especially as an importer. It does amaze just how many Chinese suppliers still do this, there will always be some that try to get away with it. Don't mark packages down. Don't claim that they are a gift or sample.

Your statement makes no sense. By using a dropshipper you still incur the shipping charges, let alone an inflated sales price that is part of their resale margin. By all means start by using a dropshipper (if you can find a reliable partner) but if you are undertaking any serious form of business you must really handle the importation process yourself and buy in bulk.

This is the only statement that I can agree with. You cannot obtain quantities of authentic branded goods in China. That isn't to say that they aren't on offer, they are in abundance, but you will either not receive them and end up being taken for your money, or you will receive counterfeit goods.

Sourcing in China is no walk in park. We've got some guides and some experienced traders on our community if anybody is looking to start out importing.

Safe trading.

Posted: Jun 2, 2010 By: The Wholesale Forums Member since: Aug 1, 2006
  7. sarah deng

sarah deng UKBF Newcomer Free Member

68 4
    hiya. im a supplier from china. my company do have good reputation.

as he said, we can supply all ,try our best to save your money.:):)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2010
    Posted: Jun 30, 2010 By: sarah deng Member since: Jun 19, 2010
  8. hagrid han

hagrid han UKBF Newcomer Free Member

32 0
    Hey,guys!I just thought you make something wrong.Brand name can be a thing in the real world.

Posted: Aug 26, 2010 By: hagrid han Member since: Aug 24, 2010
  9. WebWizard

WebWizard UKBF Newcomer Free Member

65 4
    I like that name, and yes branding can be world-wide.

Posted: Aug 31, 2010 By: WebWizard Member since: Jul 8, 2010
  10. indeedbuy

indeedbuy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 1
    I agree with you this "Choose sellers who provide drop shipping", this is very helpful,in this way, you can save so much shipping fee.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
    Posted: Sep 9, 2010 By: indeedbuy Member since: Sep 9, 2010
  11. intheshipping

intheshipping UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 1
    thank you for your useful post ,but i have to buy high replica brand bags from China ,such as Chanel MIumiu Lv.and so on ,what should i do?
    would you come there for a visit and give me some advice, i think you are proficient in foreign trade ,thank you ! intheshipping is the domain name of my web ,just ad www before and com behind is ok

Posted: Sep 10, 2010 By: intheshipping Member since: Jul 17, 2010
  12. micar

micar UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    you are right,i agree with you.

Posted: Sep 10, 2010 By: micar Member since: Sep 10, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.