Mobile food trailer spray

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by danieledney, Jul 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danieledney

danieledney UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 0
    Hi,

Im currently writing a business plan. The business will be in the mobile catering sector and It will operate out of a converted horse trailer. The trailer I’m buying is half converted, it is ready to go but in my opinion still needs a lot of work done to it especially the exterior. Here is my question - The exterior is spray painted black, I want to divide the exterior walls in to two halves, top and bottom, each being very bright colours. If i was to do this myself, bearing in mind i have no experience in sanding or spraying, how time consuming and expensive would it be in comparison to a professional job ( Neither do i know how much they would charge!) Any help would be awesome, I’m also on an extremely small budget so I’m cutting corners the best way i can :) Daniel.

Posted: Jul 6, 2016 By: danieledney Member since: Jul 5, 2016
  2. Ashley_Price

Ashley_Price UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

7,145 1,313
    Welcome to UKBF, @danieledney.

If you've never done it before, then it will be far more expensive and take significantly longer than if you get a professional to do it.

That's why they're called professionals - they make a very hard job look easy.

I guess at the end of the day, do you want it to look good, or to look cheap? There are some things you shouldn't "cut corners" with.

If you try doing it yourself and make a complete hash of it then you've got to pay a professional to put it right and that will cost twice as much (or more).

Posted: Jul 6, 2016 By: Ashley_Price Member since: Feb 9, 2008
  3. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

7,422 1,624
    Also as you are looking at using it for catering you need to think about food hygiene issues.

Posted: Jul 6, 2016 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  4. Ashley_Price

Ashley_Price UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

7,145 1,313
    Yes, @ethical PR makes a very important point, it might be that the paint used may need to be a particular type (certainly non-poisonous) suitable for catering. You'll obviously need to have it checked over by the Food Standards Agency, etc., to ensure it is suitable for catering purposes.

Posted: Jul 6, 2016 By: Ashley_Price Member since: Feb 9, 2008
  5. Bradley Holmes

Bradley Holmes UKBF Regular Full Member

165 25
    I´m not too sure that the exterior of the van would need to meet food standards, You´d only have to drive it down the road and mud would splash on it and then it would be dirty anyway.

Spray painting is hard to get right, there are lots of steps that they never show you on those car make over shows, The cleaning and surface prep, the buffing, the clear coats on top. I´d get some quotes from professionals and maybe contact a technical college if you have one in your area, Who knows they may need a practise car at the moment.

Posted: Jul 6, 2016 By: Bradley Holmes Member since: May 11, 2015
  6. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,820 4,630
    To quote that philosopher, poet, and deep thinker, Dizzy Rascal "Bonkers!"

There are thousands of catering trailers going begging!

Posted: Jul 6, 2016 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  7. billmccallum1957

billmccallum1957 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,068 447
  8. danieledney

danieledney UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 0
    Wow, that was quick, only asked this question a few hours ago!! Wish i knew about this forum earlier in life...

AP - I understand what your saying although i disagree slightly that it would be far more expensive, i know that it wont look as good as it would if a 'professional' did it, your right there! Im just bearing in mind that i have an awful lot of equipment that i need to buy for the food that i want to make and sell, these are my priorities and thats why i have to cut corners on things that aren't essential especially on things that will take a large amount of my start up costs. The horse trailer is 2 grand itself... It comes half converted though which is a bonus.

EP -No, exterior paint doesn't have to meet health and hygeine requirements, it cant be 'flakey' on the inside and thats about it.

BH - Great advise, I did get one quote after i posted this question and he said around 1100... very pricey when considering my budget. Definitely gonna contact a tech college thats an awesome shout!

BC - cool ill check that out!

Thanks guys!! I meant that!

Posted: Jul 6, 2016 By: danieledney Member since: Jul 5, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.