Miss Fuelling Trust vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucan Unlordly

Free Member
Feb 24, 2009
I think a lot of you Guys are coming from a macho pay the price kinda world.
The issue in this case is Was adaquate Traning and Duty of Care in place?
The Obvious answer is ......it was NOT.

You'd already re-fuelled many times so you didn't need training.

If you splashed hot water on yourself whilst making a cup of tea in the staff room, would you claim a lack of training and a lack of duty of care?

Whilst I have some sympathy with the 'who pays' scenario, - it was after all a simple accident - in your case you are looking for a loophole, a way to move the cost from your pocket to another's that doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

All Seeing Eye

Free Member
Dec 4, 2019
For an accident my Trust should have the appropriate cover in place for a known issue ie miss fueling .
The weak argument of ...You done it right before so theres no excuse for doing it wrong now is just so pathetic that I have ignored it up to now.Accidents happen even to people who have done things many times.

Upvote 0

Mr D

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
Stirling
For an accident my Trust should have the appropriate cover in place for a known issue ie miss fueling .
The weak argument of ...You done it right before so theres no excuse for doing it wrong now is just so pathetic that I have ignored it up to now.Accidents happen even to people who have done things many times.

Yes as you keep saying.
However the insurance claim (if they had insurance) may cause a rise in insurance costs far beyond the total cost of repair. If you dinged a car causing minor damage would you claim on your insurance?
If you damaged your TV would you claim on your house insurance?

Instead your employer decided to have you pay for your actions. Deal with what has happened rather than what you wish would happen.

Hey, perhaps you could set up your own business and then when something happens claim on the business insurance rather than staff paying. Would be you deciding what policies to pay for and who should pay. Best of all worlds and you can avoid someone else having this problem. They'd just be spending your money eh?

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2017
And round and round in circles we go.

Your employer cannot insure against all levels of your incompetence.

You’re still ignoring everything everyone else is saying because you don’t like it. All you’ve done is keep repeating the same things over and over.

Your employer should have had insurance: they don’t and nor do they have to.

You should have had an induction which covered how to refuel the car: you didn’t and you implied that you knew what you were doing by managing countless correct refuels.

They should pay because they didn’t train you adequately: some things are so simple they don’t require training. This is one of those.

So refuse to pay. Take them to court. Let us know what happens.

Upvote 0

Lucan Unlordly

Free Member
Feb 24, 2009

Why didn't you insure yourself against misfuelling then?

A rough calculation based on number of vehicles on the road x adding fuel once a week = 2 billion visits to the petrol pumps, with the estimated number of misfuelling cases in a year, 150,000 = 0.0075%

To put it into perspective you have a 1 in 54,093 chance of dying from a wasp or bee sting.

Upvote 0

paulears

Free Member
Jan 7, 2015
Suffolk - UK
Nope - we'd hate it because whatever happens you will have your own opinion, and the manager will have theirs and they'll be opposites.Being right or wrong is never pleasing to one of the parties. Good luck with the meeting. Of course, if it was me the other side of the table, I'd be saying what we've said here - "why exactly is it not your fault, and instead, ours?" I'd probably offer some training in how to operate office door handles, in case you trapped your fingers, and offer some advice on paper cuts, which sting a lot, for when you are reading the invoice I have for you for the repairs. I'd possibly offer a paracetamol, with associated side effects pamphlet, in case you got a headache reading it, after getting you to sign a risk assessment detailing the potential of serious effects if you take too many, and a recommendation you limit it to two, and possibly seek medical advice on the dangers of potential eye strain from reading the small print.

Me, I'd have just paid the bill for the engine clean and refuel and moved on weeks ago. not wishing to make myself look even more foolish in the eyes of my colleagues, who by now will be s******ing I'd taken it this far, and wondering just how far it could go before somebody had had enough. I'm old now, but always remember that making bosses look bad rarely works well - they have long memories. In my career, it ALWAYS came back and bit me - next year, or in five years time, they always remember!

Upvote 0

Higgsy

Free Member
Oct 1, 2018
Good luck with your meeting, I am inclined to agree with Paulears comment above.

What you seem to forget, is you've come to a forum full of manager and business owners who often employ their own staff. You've asked them for advice, they have given it, to which you disagree.

You may come out of Thursdays meeting thinking you have one up on your employer, however, you'll have put a marker on your name for the future. Your employer will do everything by the book. I recommend you learn all your policies and procedures, because they will catch you on something else. I wouldn't want someone working for me who doesn't accept responsibility for their mistakes.

Good Luck for Thursday and good luck for your role in the future.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu