Miss Fuelling Trust vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Seeing Eye

Free Member
Dec 4, 2019
My NHS trust has a policy in place which states that if I miss fuel one of the Trusts vehicles I am responsible for any costs and Damage caused.
Surely the Trust should have appropriate insurance cover for this ?
Also is it a legal requirment for employees to be given an indiction on the vehicle before been instructed to drive it?

JEREMY HAWKE

Business Member
Business Listing
Mar 4, 2008
EXETER DEVON
www.jeremyhawkecourier.co.uk
Don't put the wrong stuff in it is simple :eek::eek:

I don't think it is legal for the trust to make an employee pay for the repairs but I still say there is no excuse .

Upvote 0

DrinkMan

Free Member
Nov 19, 2019
My NHS trust has a policy in place which states that if I miss fuel one of the Trusts vehicles I am responsible for any costs and Damage caused.
Also is it a legal requirment for employees to be given an indiction on the vehicle before been instructed to drive it?

Not sure if its a legal requirement to provide an induction on whether the vehicle is petrol or diesel. But you could argue your case if you have a reasonable excuse.

So you put the wrong fuel in the tank ?
How long since youve been driving particular vehicle ?

Upvote 0

STDFR33

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016

I guess the trust should also be responsible if you speed because they should have speed demon insurance.

They should also have bus lane insurance for when you stray into a bus lane.

And if you sh1t yourself in the drivers seat, I reckon they should also have soil cover.

Upvote 0

MikeJ

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
Edinburgh
I've put petrol in a diesel car. It was a company car. The car had an unleaded petrol sign in the window, just above the fuel cap. Who was at fault there?

The car felt and sounded like a diesel, but it also had over 100k on the clock so it was bound to sound a bit rough.

Upvote 0
So are we saying if a Secratery makes a mistake and broke a keyboard or monitor they are responsibale for replacing it ?
Define "mistake". If they were typing and the keys fell off then no. If their employer had a "no drinks at desk" policy and they ignored it and spilt cola on the keyboard the destroyed it, then maybe.

Your employer should pay in the case of accidents but not negligence.

Upvote 0

Nico Albrecht

Legacy Full Member
May 2, 2017
Belfast
nicogroup.co.uk

Good to see they have a policy in place for that. Only if people have to pay for things they take care if not those cars will become absolut beaters.

You are the operator and driver of the vehicle and responsible for it. It is not their job to babysit your for things that were covered in your process to obtain a valid driver license.

It is your job not their job before you even turn the ignition to check and inspects for basics such as tire damage, pressure or inform them if red or yellow lights come off on the dashboard.

Also not sure how you can miss the sticker on the flap that will tell you if it is diesel or petrol. Don't be so american and expect to be completely babysit and take some responsibility for your future actions.

Reactions: Bob Morgan
Upvote 0
I guess you signed a contract which meant agreeing to their policies? My dad used to own a taxi company and misfuelling cost him so much money. People drove their own cars then came in and misfuelled the diesel taxis. I've switched between petrol and diesel often daily for decades and only twice have I misfuelled. Once at a time of severe stress and worry, and the other time I drove to Manchester and back in a day (from Essex) and think that was probably a mistake... I always realised before I'd put enough in to worry about. Just swamped that teeny bit of petrol with a full tank of diesal.

I've never had fleet insurance, but why should the insurance company pay for your mistake? Especially as drivers are legally responsible to make sure cars are safe and legal, general roadworthiness to drive, no matter who owns it.

Upvote 0

The Byre

Legacy Full Member
Aug 13, 2013
My trusty Honda Accord was petrol, my Passat is Diesel, we have always had petrol and Diesel cars and trucks and I have never 'misfuelled' once in my entire 52 years of driving.

It is, however, an old gripe that the petrol station nozzles are not specific to the fuel type. I know it is the easiest thing to avoid (nozzle says Diesel - filler cap says Diesel - we are good to go!) but people still manage to do it. A bit like driving the wrong way down a motorway - daft people do daft things and both of these problems could be designed out of the system.

Upvote 0

JEREMY HAWKE

Business Member
Business Listing
Mar 4, 2008
EXETER DEVON
My trusty Honda Accord was petrol, my Passat is Diesel, we have always had petrol and Diesel cars and trucks and I have never 'misfuelled' once in my entire 52 years of driving.

It is, however, an old gripe that the petrol station nozzles are not specific to the fuel type. I know it is the easiest thing to avoid (nozzle says Diesel - filler cap says Diesel - we are good to go!) but people still manage to do it. A bit like driving the wrong way down a motorway - daft people do daft things and both of these problems could be designed out of the system.

The petrol pump nozzles are actually smaller than the diesel nozzles to stop customers putting diesel in a petrol engine With diesel in a petrol engine it can result in a lot of damage .
Petrol in a diesel engine is not too bad if anything it cleans the engine but you would not know this as you never get your nozzles crossed :):)

If you are a numpty and put paraffin in a Ferrari I still say that if you are employed in that job that you should not be paying for it .
If you were working for me you would get your ass kicked

Upvote 0

Mr D

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
Stirling
A trust vehicle? Is it by any chance a lease vehicle - as many trusts use these days?
If so, perhaps the trust becomes liable for damage - so should your employer pay or should you?

They apparently decided you. How does your union see it?

Reactions: JEREMY HAWKE
Upvote 0

JEREMY HAWKE

Business Member
Business Listing
Mar 4, 2008
EXETER DEVON
A trust vehicle? Is it by any chance a lease vehicle - as many trusts use these days?
If so, perhaps the trust becomes liable for damage - so should your employer pay or should you?

They apparently decided you. How does your union see it?

I agree I am not a leftie but the OP did ask and he should protect himself

Upvote 0

RobinBHM

Free Member
Apr 14, 2012
My ford has an easifuel cap.

It has fingers around the filler tube which retract when the nozzle is pushed in and a cover flap moves out of the way.

A petrol nozzle is too small a nozzle and the flap doesnt open.

Which is good for me as Im absentminded

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu