Min Wage increase

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by BizGurl, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee Jones Jnr

Lee Jones Jnr UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,751 736
    Any chance of that in English?

Posted: May 3, 2011 By: Lee Jones Jnr Member since: Dec 6, 2009
  2. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Newcomer Full Member

14,858 2,117
    I don't believe so. Case 1: Someone does no work and receives unemployment benefit. Case 2: Someone works for £1 an hour, does productive work, the employer contributes NI, and the government pays a top-up amount. In this case, real work gets done, the government receives money from an employer, even though a similar amount is paid out. Why would taxes have to rise? The nation's overall productivity would rise.

Posted: May 7, 2011 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  3. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash Guest

1,427 480
    Although I am by no means a fan of the minimum wage, I think it would be prudent to consider case 3 also:

Case 3: Employer was going to hire people and would easily be able to do so paying £6 an hour and still make a good profit. He chooses to offer £1 as the government will top the wages up anyway, so he won't have any problem filling the vacancies.

Posted: May 7, 2011 By: JohnnyCash Member since: Dec 8, 2010
  4. Dawg

Dawg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10,900 3,466
    Well, it would be rational wouldn't it?
    And that's the trouble when market distortions are made worse by government intervention.
    Already we have a situation where the last government swore to eradicate poverty, accepted the measure of poverty as a % of the national average wage, yet taxed people in the poverty bracket.
    They just can't stop fiddling, and believing that they are helping. They are not.
    One cable short of a full cabinet...(to bring things up to date a tad, heh..)

Posted: May 7, 2011 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  5. hmmm

hmmm UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,722 127
    im confused.on one hand people are moaning about people who dont work and claim money then on another people are saying the government should top up wages???????????????

it cant be both ways although the words tax credits spring to mind.

how about the government start using money wisely ,companies paying what ever they choose. raising dole benefit to make companies pay a better wage and cap the earnings,,,,,,,instead of minimum wage how about maximum wage

Last edited: May 7, 2011
    Posted: May 7, 2011 By: hmmm Member since: Apr 14, 2011
  6. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash Guest

1,427 480
    Do you have any experience whatsoever in running a business? I'm struggling to take anything you say seriously when you come out with comments like this...

7. Esk247

Esk247 UKBF Legend Free Member

7,758 1,514
    strange thing to say but i think i know what you mean...instead of people earning ridiculous sums £80 an hour etc. Cap the maximum UK wage.

It wouldn't work but it's another idea.

I dont think minimum wage pays enough, for the employee, but for the business it pays more than enough plus all the hidden costs involved in dealing with employees and sorting our payrolls etc.

Posted: May 7, 2011 By: Esk247 Member since: Oct 6, 2008
  8. roydmoorian

roydmoorian UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,953 342
    How about sharing a companies overall wage increase equally throughout all the employees (including directors) for the next 5 years ?

grabs coat and tin-hat....... :Exits stage Left:

:D :D

Posted: May 7, 2011 By: roydmoorian Member since: Nov 6, 2009
  9. hmmm

1,722 127

why?

do you not think that someone lets say a a buyer could not have a capped wage?

does the difference between a buyer really need to be much different to a shop floor supervisor ?

do most office based jobs really need to be paying much more than shop floor workers?

if so why?

it seems to me that everyone seems to be focusing on shop floor workers only

when someone says NMW first image in mind i can assure you is not someone in the office....why is that?

10. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash Guest

1,427 480
    I've no idea what you're going on about in that post above...

With this maximum wage, what would you propose setting it at? Would you have any exceptions to it, either specific people or professions?

If not, goodbye English Premier League football and all the money in generates and the people it keeps in employment.

11. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Newcomer Full Member

14,858 2,117
    We had what amounts to a maximum wage about 40 years ago, with an upper tax rate in the 90s. The result? The brain drain. Many of Britain's smartest people simply upped sticks and left.

Posted: May 7, 2011 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  12. Dawg

10,900 3,466
    Perhaps because a lot, (or even some), office workers have, amongst other things, literacy skills valuable to making the business run smoothly.

These skills are rarer than skills found on the shop floor so get more money.

If the shop floor workers had skills both rare and in demand they would be paid more than office workers. There is no conspiracy against shop floor workers, just less demand and more supply, so they are cheaper.

13. hmmm

1,722 127
    but there not rare thats the point..who told you that?

what constitutes rare?

if you put an advert in the window for office jobs are you telling me that the amount of applicants are small?

for most office based jobs in a factory?
    or even just an office?

to me an office is a shop floor its no different

14. hmmm

1,722 127

hmmm are you saying those left behind are not on par?

that those that left have damaged this country to what it is..?

are you telling me now they have gone we are doomed?

are you telling me in a country of 90million we cannot have not replaced those people?

what is 2+2 ?

15. Dawg

10,900 3,466
    Basic economics tells me that.

I have explained supply and demand in simple terms, (and non-perfect terms), several times, but some people seem able to ignore them.

Basic rationality will mean that you employ the best candidate for the least money.
    Nobody wants to throw money away, and you employ at the going rate, and the going rate is broadly set by supply and demand.

There are distortions to this, but that is the underlying core principle of all pricing: supply and demand.

Many don't like this. History is littered with their failures.

16. hmmm

1,722 127
    basic economics has past its sell by date.its old .

history includes yesterday

like i asked before to what number do you call rare?

rare is not the word i would use.

once a number is reached where by the number is well and above the need then it is no longer rare and is the same as every other

17. hmmm

1,722 127
    i dont believe that we should do it across the board but i think if it was capped to a level then maybe incentives of firm profits could then come into play....
    obvious trust comes into play and fairness............

do we/you want employees knowing the money side of things?
    well what does it matter as in time it could be the norm.people except when there lives are fair .

someone mention the employer risks his/hers neck to create a business and im confident that no matter whom you talk to from what ever back ground ,that they acknowledge this and can live with the fact he/she earns a tidy sum....

those things arent ever an issue to anyone until worth respect and fairness is not in balance

im not being funny but there are some pretty clueless people earning a tidy sum on the basis of title in a work place ..when you have 100 people work for you in a factory for instance im confident that there are some that can do jobs that involve the office world or jobs that require certain skills...
    there is no lack or rareness for these positions and when employers become brave and acknowledge this then real logic will come into play..

i fully respect a lawyer and such jobs are different.there are many jobs that are "rare" ish that deserve that title,but imo there are many over paid jobs that dont

18. Dawg

10,900 3,466
    I'm sorry, but if the level of your debate is "basic economics has past its sell by date.its old ." there is no point in even trying to engage with you.
    It's the equivalent of closing your eyes and putting your fingers in your ears and going "Nnnmmmm, Nnmmmmm, Nnmmmmm" continuously and loudly.
    Perhaps someone else will play with you.

19. hmmm

1,722 127
    your entitled to your opinion

20. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,643

You can not be serious.?:eek:

who built your house or made your car not an office worker thats for sure.:D:D:D

Earl

Posted: May 7, 2011 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.