Min Wage increase

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by BizGurl, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Podge

Podge UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,154 367
    I think I made my point quite clearly.
    If the employer doesn't think I'm worth minimum wage I'll let them find somebody who is.

Posted: May 2, 2011 By: Podge Member since: Jan 13, 2011
  2. Lee Jones Jnr

Lee Jones Jnr UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,751 736
    They are doing, or are all the jobs you have applied for still vacant?

Posted: May 2, 2011 By: Lee Jones Jnr Member since: Dec 6, 2009
  3. hmmm

hmmm UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,722 127
    how much is a loaf of bread worth?

Posted: May 2, 2011 By: hmmm Member since: Apr 14, 2011
  4. Podge

1,154 367
    Rather a fatuous comment don't you think.

5. JohnLocke1

JohnLocke1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

450 163
    46p Tesco value, £2.00 plus for fresh hand baked bakers bread.

There is the answer to NMW - I guess that's what you were getting at.

All a bit cryptic here today :p

Posted: May 2, 2011 By: JohnLocke1 Member since: Apr 12, 2011
  6. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash Guest

1,427 480
    So you'd rather your inflated value of self worth prevented you entering employment?

Posted: May 2, 2011 By: JohnnyCash Member since: Dec 8, 2010
  7. hmmm

1,722 127
    cant beat RRP

8. Lee Jones Jnr

Lee Jones Jnr UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,751 736
    Not at all, it was a very simple and clear way to say that every employer you have seen can't be wrong, the government and it seems you, believe that you are worth more than the people who would be handing over the money do.
    Perhaps you are taking these words personally and taking offence for some reason, so lets say that we are talking about an unspecified member of the unemployed British public, who has had lots of interviews, been looking for work for a while and is still not earning a wage. Could it be that he is simply not worth £5.93 an hour?

Posted: May 2, 2011 By: Lee Jones Jnr Member since: Dec 6, 2009
  9. Podge

1,154 367
    How do you know what I'm worth, you don't know me. And to answer your question. Yes.

Has that made you happy now you can call me a scrounger.

10. Podge

1,154 367
    No. It simply means that employers can be choosy. Why would they take me if there was better out there and my age alone means there are plenty out there who would get employment ahead of me. Thats the reality and it's got sod all to do with worth.

11. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash Guest

1,427 480
    I don't know exactly what you are worth, but I know what you're not worth. £5.93.

12. hmmm

1,722 127
    correct........just because you didnt get the job does not men you couldnt do it .its all to do with choice..i keep seeing this word "worth" popping up all over place.......it means nothing and is made up

13. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash Guest

1,427 480
    If there are better potential employees out there and available for the same money, then you're completely correct in that they quite rightfully will have no interest in you.

Its got everything to do with worth. You're saying there are better employees available. So they are worth more than you. But the government setting a floor on what employers can pay, is preventing you (or anyone like you) adjusting your asking price to market value, and starting working again.

14. hmmm

1,722 127
    how can you say that.that is just reeeeeeedik.

there are jobs out there that he maybe able to do that pay way above NMW .the problem is there isnt any available.so how can you possibly say someone is not worth £5.93....

this word of worth is a joke.

the issue of nmw is the fact if your business is 5hit and doesnt make much money then you cant pay the NMW or its becausen your greedy and want to keep your standard of living and earning...

15. Dawg

Dawg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10,900 3,466
    He said:
    How is this addressed to you? How is this calling you a scrounger?
    All he is saying is that the laws of supply and demand apply to the labour market as well as to all other markets.

For instance earlier you said what if there was full employment? If there was full employment in the UK you can bet your bottom dollar that a lot of jobs would be exported to where they are cheaper. The supply from elsewhere will meet the demand for jobs at a price level which the market will pay. The market cannot pay above a rate which allows them to compete with other businesses worldwide. This will, (in fact already has) cause(d) unemployment as production moves abroad.

But make no mistake: it's not only the NMW. The cost of the welfare state is a burden other countries don't bear. Red tape ties people up needlessly and expensively. The education system continues to churn out semi-literate people whose written and spoken English is often worse than, (for instance), Indian college graduates with whom they are competing for jobs.
    Expensive, untrained labour in a post industrial economy which sets a premium on brain over brawn, geek over gofer: it's not a recipe for success is it?

Posted: May 2, 2011 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  16. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash Guest

1,427 480
    Serious question - why are you even on a business forum? You don't have anything to do with running a business do you?

Its easy to say someone is not worth £5.93, when there is undeniable evidence pointing towards that conclusion.

If someone is trying hard to get a job, but not a single employer thinks its worth paying them £5.93 an hour in the current market, then its painfully obvious that that persons value is currently £5.92, or less.

17. hmmm

1,722 127
    no its not obvious at all...
    when you have many people going for one job you need to stand out for that job .if you have 100 people going for that job i guarantee you 20% at least will be capable of doing it and im being over the top with the small amount of 20% for NMW so then you have a 1in20 chance which is not good odds at all..

this has nothing to do with worth

what makes you think i have never had people work for me..
    how could you possibly say ive no biz here .

im here to learn more and since ive been here ive learnt that many have no idea of the real world and have tunnel vision and need themselves to learn a bit about people and what is really what

18. Matt1959

Matt1959 UKBF Legend Free Member

6,295 1,226
    a bit simplistic? the people could well be worth 5.93ph but the prospective employer hasnt noticed them amongst the 100 applicants. Bit like sparky who is brilliant at his work but cant get work whreas hes competitor isnt half as good but gets the work -one presents themselves the right way (to be noticed) the other doesnt

Posted: May 2, 2011 By: Matt1959 Member since: Sep 8, 2006
  19. JohnLocke1

JohnLocke1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

450 163
    This may have been mentioned, I'd be surprised if it hasn't.

Your only worth as an employee is what someone will pay you to do a job.

You can't say "I'm worth £20,000 pa because that's what I would like to live off" or "I was paid £30,000 for doing the same job ten years ago". Markets and market forces change. The market at the moment is currently in the employers favour and if your unfortunate enough to be looking for a job then you are currently at a disadvantage compared to a few years ago. No point whining about it, that's it - accept and move on the best you can :)

Posted: May 2, 2011 By: JohnLocke1 Member since: Apr 12, 2011
  20. Podge

1,154 367
    Hey I'm perfectly happy, no whinging from me about not having a job In fact if truth be told I would rather the job opportunities go to those who have needs greater than mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.