Min Wage increase

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by BizGurl, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BizGurl

BizGurl UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,020 791
    Call me very slow, but I've only just realised the National Minimum Wage is to increase to £6.08phr for over 21s in October. :eek:
    Obviously it's good news for people who currently work for Min Wage with prices going up all the time etc, but considering the last increase, where lots of businesses were against that, I'm wondering how it will effect small businesses that are literally just about hanging on? Is it a good thing or should it have been left as it is to let businesses 'recover' if you like?
    More failures and/or redundancies? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
    Posted: Apr 15, 2011 By: BizGurl Member since: Sep 15, 2009
  2. 14A

14A UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

967 133
    Your very slow.

(Sorry)

I think businesses are always against Min. Wage increases, who wants to pay more money out?

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 By: 14A Member since: Apr 1, 2008
  3. BizGurl

3,020 791
    Don't be sorry. :p
    I'm very slow these days, have a lot to catch up on!

While I think everyone deserves to earn a decent wage if they actually work, the timing's wrong! People are having a hard time getting work as it is, and this is just going to be another barrier. They should have maybe left it for a year or two before raising it. Easy saying that as I'm not in that position at the mo, but if I was (have been before), I'd rather earn the current min wage, or even a bit less, rather than have no job at all.

4. 14A

14A UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

967 133
    Its just a way to circulate the money more to the 'lower classes'.

But I get what you are saying.

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 By: 14A Member since: Apr 1, 2008
  5. billie1

billie1 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

826 95
    The minimum wage has to increase to keep up with all those increases. I imagine people on the current mimumum wage of £5.93 can barely get by. Yes, most employers would be against it, no one likes to payout more. However when you give the situation some thought, the minimum wage has to be increased, to avoid people sinking even deeper into poverty.

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 By: billie1 Member since: Nov 3, 2008
  6. Big Pete

Big Pete Banned

1,950 415
    I think they should stop telling businesses what to do, leave them alone.

wages should find there own level , a set rate could be the difference between hiring people or not.

so bad move in my opinion.. like most of what the Governments do ..

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 By: Big Pete Member since: Oct 13, 2009
  7. An Oasis

An Oasis UKBF Newcomer Full Member

9,901 1,684
    The minimum wage is the only way governments have of stopping unskilled people from entering the workforce.

For anyone that doesn't understand the above, would you pay:

An unskilled worker who needs training in order to be able to do a job

A person with a mental disability, who can do the job but just not to the required speed or needs constant supervision

Blar blar blar the minimum wage?

The minimum wage is a very stupid concept, enforced by very stupid people.

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 By: An Oasis Member since: Oct 3, 2006
  8. Scott-Copywriter

Scott-Copywriter UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,731 2,674
    The national minimum wage is there to stop businesses exploiting the desperation of poor people. Many businesses couldn't care much about the welfare of employees, so in attempting to pay out as little as possible (in a situation where NMW doesn't exist), they force desperate people to accept jobs which pays them poverty-level wages - just to live.

The simple fact is that the current minimum wage is barely enough for people to live just outside of poverty. Some people even live in poverty on that wage in the UK. Businesses are not responsible enough to set wages where every citizen of the UK can afford to live on the most basic of levels.

What happens when someone can't afford to live even on such a low wage? They receive benefits from the government to subsidise them. Who pays for that? Tax paying citizens and businesses.

So, you expect a person to spend many hours of every day over many weeks or months to train for a job whilst earning no or very little income? How will they live? How will they pay for the roof over their heads and pay for the breakfast they eat everyday to come in and receive training so they can work for you?

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 By: Scott-Copywriter Member since: May 10, 2006
  9. Lee Jones Jnr

Lee Jones Jnr UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,751 736
    The world ran just fine before the NMW.

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 By: Lee Jones Jnr Member since: Dec 6, 2009
  10. Matt1959

Matt1959 UKBF Legend Free Member

6,295 1,226
    I've said it before, part of the prob with the miniumum wage is it affects differential wage levels so all wages go up as a result...

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 By: Matt1959 Member since: Sep 8, 2006
  11. WJP

WJP UKBF Ace Free Member

1,369 270
    Is this not the case already with apprentices? Last time I checked their minimum wage was £2.50 an hour, although it may have gone up since then.

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 By: WJP Member since: Apr 6, 2010
  12. WJP

WJP UKBF Ace Free Member

1,369 270
    This is a good point, in my experience when there's a wage increase (even a slight one) at the bottom of the pyramid, particularly when a large number of people within an organisation are on an hourly rate rather than a salary, people at higher levels expect it too. Otherwise the gap between, say, supervisors' pay and normal staff's pay closes up, and they feel like they're not appreciated.

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 By: WJP Member since: Apr 6, 2010
  13. An Oasis

An Oasis UKBF Newcomer Full Member

9,901 1,684
    One day you'll be able to answer that question but until you'll still believe what you are told.

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 By: An Oasis Member since: Oct 3, 2006
  14. BizGurl

3,020 791
    I agree 100%.
    Workers have every right to earn a liveable wage, if not, what's the point in working? And yes, I think it's an employers responsibility to train staff too. This responsibility is usually shoved off on colleges/universities/former employers, and most companies expect to get 100% perfect fully trained staff at someone/where else's expense. Someone who is unskilled should be paid min wage to become skilled/trained, as they will still be putting their time and effort into the business, even if they're not making money immediately. Reap as sown and all that?
    What I was asking though is if perhaps the timings wrong to put it up, when many businesses are already struggling. This will put off even more people from hiring, when we do need more jobs for people. I've lived on min wage before, and yes it's very tough, when prices are rising constantly, but believe it or not, it is liveable. Many people do it. They may not be driving Mercs and BMWs around or live in a nice posh area, but they can still eat etc. I'm not saying never raise the min wage, that would be stoopid. But maybe a delay or something to help businesses out a wee bit. Isn't this preferable to not having work at all? Talk about catch 22.

15. Podge

Podge UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,154 367
    In reality the people this is designed to help will see very little benefit in the increase as most will be recieving tc/hb/ctb which will more than likely decrease with the increase in income.

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 By: Podge Member since: Jan 13, 2011
  16. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Newcomer Full Member

14,858 2,117
    Sorry, Scott, but that's rubbish. The minimum wage is the government forcing employers to pay someone more than they are worth. If they believe in social engineering of this sort, then be more transparent about it and stop forcing companies to do their dirty work.

The solution for someone whose company takes advantage is obvious: (i) Go work for a different company (if everyone did this, the former company would go out of business), or (ii) spend nights and weekends learning new skills or earning other qualifications so your worth and earning power goes up.

Frankly, the minimum wage is a huge job-killer. Without it, the unemployment rate would plummet.

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  17. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Newcomer Full Member

14,858 2,117
    No they don't. They have every right to earn what they are worth.

Using your argument, the government should demand that supermarkets charge a fixed maximum price for bread - because everyone has the right to pay only what they can afford. What would happen? To cut their losses, supermarkets would stop selling bread. It's no different with jobs: Force companies to pay someone more than they are worth and they do away with the job.

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  18. Matt1959

Matt1959 UKBF Legend Free Member

6,295 1,226
    I doubt it - theres jobs available that people are not taking up as it affects their benefits. Reducing wages further will exacerbate this problem:|

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 By: Matt1959 Member since: Sep 8, 2006
  19. BizGurl

3,020 791
    Irrespective of what an employer thinks their employee is worth, that person still has to live, eat, pay bills, feed and clothe his family. We know there are a lot of shirkers around, as well as good workers, but what about their families and so on?
    Being exploited doesn't effect only the employee, but has a knock on effect. If I hired people, I'd feel partly responsible for them in a way and would say yes, they should be able to earn some kind of guaranteed min wage. If they're rubbish employees, well, that's a disciplinary issue.

20. Podge

Podge UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,154 367
    Are you really as obnoxious as you come across ?

I have no issue with somebody being paid what they're worth.
    I do have a problem when that worth is determined by the size of the job pool.

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 By: Podge Member since: Jan 13, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.