Maternity Allowance

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Era, Sep 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Era

Era UKBF Newcomer

19 2
    Hello everyone,

I have recently applied for Maternity Allowance as I am self-employed. I own a small e-commerce, specialized in fashion.
    As I am preparing to have my second child, I was having some doubts as to what are my entitlements and duties during myself being on Maternity.
    I know I am entitled to Keep-in-touch days, up to 10.
    However, I would have to send some parcels out to costumers who buy from my online website and would have to organize the photo shooting for our upcoming collections (due in October) and then upload of the pics on the website.
    Obviously parcels have to be sent out daily, I cannot gather them and spread them through 10 KIT Days.
    Should I ask my partner to step in and help? If so, do I have to employ him part-time?
    Is there anyone else in the same position?
    Any suggestions?

Thank you to everyone who will take some time to help me.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 By: Era Member since: Sep 21, 2018
  2. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend

17,414 3,759
    Getting him to do the work if he is willing is what I would do. Paying him is up to negotiation between the two of you. If you pay him and he has another job you will need to pay him through PAYE.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  3. Era

Era UKBF Newcomer

19 2
    thanks for taking the time to reply!
    Do I have to inform The Job Center of the fact that my husband will be covering some of my duties during me being on Maternity Allowance?
    Do I need any kind of registration?

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 By: Era Member since: Sep 21, 2018
  4. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend

17,414 3,759
    As far as Maternity Allowance goes the Job Centre is not interested who does your work.

If he has another job you will need to register for PAYE and deduct tax from what you pay him.

https://www.gov.uk/paye-for-employers

Although it is not compulsory for family members you need to consider taking out Employers Liability Insurance.

https://www.axa.co.uk/business-insurance/business-guardian-angel/employers-liability-for-family-businesses/

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.