Matchmaker Marketing...who are they? help!

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by BPM-UK, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BPM-UK

BPM-UK UKBF Newcomer Free Member

145 12
    Just had a call from an annoying sales person who wouldnt get off the phone...suppose I was too polite to hang up.

He was going on about guarenteeing me top position on google for printers in the Worcestershire area.

Told me to try it for 30 days and then was pressing for my details so he could charge me £140 for the month! and then £20 per keyword phrase after that

Anyone know who they are and what they do?

:|

Thanks

James

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 By: BPM-UK Member since: Oct 2, 2007
  2. Steve2507

Steve2507 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,555 222
    I love it when you see companies give guaranteed seo placements, I just think it's hilarious.

To the op, no idea who they are, but you do need to learn how to hang up.

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 By: Steve2507 Member since: Jun 9, 2006
  3. matt.chatterley

matt.chatterley UKBF Newcomer Free Member

839 176
    Agree (on all counts)!

Especially iffy on a cold call - I'm curious as to where they got your details from!

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 By: matt.chatterley Member since: Sep 22, 2008
  4. BPM-UK

145 12
    They are matchmakermarketing.co.uk

I should have hung up really, but as I used to sell media a few years back I tend to listen too much...:eek:

The chap said he found my details on Yell.com but he couldnt tell me what my company name was or my address...strange that as he found me!!!

Always dubious on cold calls...rarely buy anything unless I know what its about.

Amazed how he told me they are only allowed to target one sector per region and I could be the printer....number 1 in google !

mmm smell something fishy about it all

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 By: BPM-UK Member since: Oct 2, 2007
  5. maxine

maxine UKBF Legend Full Member

6,571 2,023
    This sounds a lot like a company that were pestering me a few weeks (and I am not too polite to hang up! :)) They were called Googlefirst.

Did you get the number they were calling from?

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 By: maxine Member since: Oct 13, 2007
  6. BPM-UK

145 12
    Hi had a call from Dave Bracey today, who is owner of matchmakermarketing.co.uk. He saw my thread on UKBF about his company (Hi Dave if you are seeing this)

Dave apologised for the sales person who annoyed me a lot and assured me they only use adwords only in attempts to improve rankings and never promise number 1 positions via optimisation etc. The guy who promised me the number 1 spot in Worcestershire obviously needs his hands slapped...just cant remember what his name is. Would have been annoyed if I had signed up.

Cheers

James

Posted: Dec 16, 2008 By: BPM-UK Member since: Oct 2, 2007
  7. garethparkin

garethparkin UKBF Newcomer Free Member

62 11
    These con artists sorry to say but that is what they are focus on people with little knowledge of google who probably think an adword is a natural link. They pick long tail keywords such as 'printers berkshire' because they are cheap and then charge per month for them knowing full well that although £120 don't sound much it is in effect a rip off for what they will be paying for the clicks. I hate these people with a passion and I don't believe the response you got was genuine because I believe the tactic is to not mention 'adwords' and to dupe the customer. These people give reputabale seo people a bad name - I say more of naming and shaming them!

Posted: Dec 16, 2008 By: garethparkin Member since: May 8, 2008
  8. coastalkirsty

coastalkirsty UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 0
    My site saw a fall in over 25% in hits after taking matchmaker marketing advice.

They in my opinion do not offer good value for money. invest some money in good SEO of your site rather than their google offer. No good being number one for something, if nobody is looking for your keyword.

Really I should have known better.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 By: coastalkirsty Member since: Jan 22, 2009
  9. top-click

top-click UKBF Newcomer Free Member

499 21
    Posted: Jan 23, 2009 By: top-click Member since: May 17, 2005
  10. WorkingfromHome

WorkingfromHome UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 1
    I was wondering, with so many "scams" giving cold calling a bad name how can businesses effectively market?

If Matchmaker were genuine for example and we all now have a standard defensive response how would they get that fantastic product out there? I mean to be fair, being Page 1 on Google as a the only plasterer in Worcester Naturally listed through genuine SEO would be pretty good wouldn't it?

So how would a company market themselves?

Search engines are only good if somebody already knows they need it
    Nobody reads papers anymore
    Mails shots cost a fortune and convert poorly meaning you need to charge more for your service
    Leaflet drops are equally ineffective on a national scale

It just seems that if you have got a genuinely fantastic product that cold calling is the only way to get in touch with the businesses who might need it and keep your costs down, but because you're cold calling nobody of worth will speak with you. Probably not the right topic for this thread it seems that these kind of "scams" are ruining it for honest companies who want to offer budget solutions for people

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 By: WorkingfromHome Member since: Oct 30, 2008
  11. Jonesy

Jonesy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

166 19
    I had a great one today: "We're calling from Google". When challenged it went to "On behalf of Google", to "OK we are nothing to Google but we are AdWords qualified" etc etc.

Me: *dialtone*

Idiots the lot of them.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 By: Jonesy Member since: Aug 15, 2007
  12. Guest

0 0
    LOL we have had that one too jonesy I said your not calling from google really are you ? funny the line went dead

Posted: Jan 27, 2009 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  13. MKW

MKW UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    I was contacted last week firstly by New Approach Marketing and then a few days later by Matchmaker Marketing (both who operate out of Altringham, Manchester and have exactly the same price structure etc, so probably one in the same)

Matchmaker were more convincing but wouldnt sign up there and then as still had my doubts, and as soon as hung up did a search and found these posts and a few others - not a single one singing their praises.

They rang again yesterday after I missed their call Friday, said not interested read too much bad press and had my doubts from the start how they can get you on the 1st page for a top search phrase 18 hours 21 mins a day (so I was told) when it basically only cost £20 a month for each phrase (knowing what it costs me via adwords and im not constantly 1st page). Wonder if they would turn you down if said you wanted to be on first page for "insurance" or "fashion"

Anyway said not interested cut him short and hung up, listened to answerphone last night and had two messages from them. He even said guess you hung up on me yet didnt get the message and is still trying to sell me their rubbish product.

If he comes on again he will get a tornado of abuse and hear my potty mouth until he does finally get the message not to contact me again, sometimes you have to be blunt and rude with these people.... they promise the earth but am sure they couldnt even deliver pizza!

Out of interest is it possible for companies to buy up clicks at heavily discounted rates? They said if I paid £1000 in clicks they would get them for about £80.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 By: MKW Member since: Feb 10, 2009
  14. The Dreaded Lurgy

The Dreaded Lurgy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

217 30
    This all sounds really familiar to another recent thread about a company called Adword reseller, they were owned by sphere marketing and had another synonym as well - and of course turned out to be extremely dodgy. I think the thread was called google reseller!

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 By: The Dreaded Lurgy Member since: Feb 3, 2009
  15. debbidoo

debbidoo UKBF Ace Free Member

1,803 572

This is the thread: http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=64215 :)

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 By: debbidoo Member since: Apr 10, 2008
  16. Jheath

Jheath UKBF Regular Free Member

349 58
    I had a call from Matchmaker Marketing the other day, they rang us on a local number we have for the Hull area. "Google have asked us to call you because they only want one company locally for each business sector" etc etc "Our consultant is in the area, can he come and see you?"

I was intrigued to see how far it would go, and whether it was bare faced lying or just a well meaning but wet-behind-the-ears telemarketer. They didn't seem to get the idea that we were in Lincoln not in Hull, but make the appointment anyway. It snowed heavily that day but they never phoned back to re-appoint. Shame, it would have been interesting.

The problem is many companies are not web savvy and will get stung - not nice.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 By: Jheath Member since: Aug 30, 2008
  17. MKW

MKW UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Funny you mention Sphere my mother-in-law :mad::D has a hotel in Blackpool and was asking my opinion on what they were offering only this morning.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 By: MKW Member since: Feb 10, 2009
  18. iamlijo

iamlijo UKBF Regular Free Member

216 36
    i think you are referring to

www[DOT]matchmakermarketing[DOT]co[DOT]uk/

Posted: Feb 11, 2009 By: iamlijo Member since: Feb 11, 2009
  19. jet1

jet1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    i was contacted today by matchmaker selling 1st spot on google as i have some free time i have agreed for them to send a rep out tomorrow having heard the comments on this forum it should be a interesting meeting

Posted: Feb 19, 2009 By: jet1 Member since: Feb 19, 2009
  20. AVDave

AVDave UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hello All!

I felt the need to register and reply to this thread. A bloke called Chris from Matchmaker Marketing rang me last Thursday trying to sell their Google £20 key phrase deal.

Now I consider myself quite Google/Web savvy but on this instance I rushed for my credit card, even to the point I paid on my personal CC not at the time being able to find my work one. The reason for this was what Chris had actually offered me was for just £20 I could have a key phrase of ANY length and contain ANY words. Chris then stated that ANY combination of words within this key phrase would be returned top 5 of sponsored links!! I checked with him exactly what he was offering over 4 times. I could barely believe my luck as we currently spend around £600 with Google. If Chris's claim had been true I was heading for a £500 a month saving.

So I paid and agreed that Chris would ring back the following morning for my key phrases. The next morning I spent ages reading out my cleverly constructed key phrases that covered every service we provide. Chris had confirmed that I would have my adds up and running by Monday.

I hadn't heard anything by Tuesday so decided to ring up and ask for an update. I was told my key phrases were far too long and would never work. Of course this is the point it all came clear. The chap admitted that Chris was new and needed training!! The offer is of course for an exact phrase followed by a location 'Plasma Hire London' for instance.

I have since submitted my 5 key phrases and I guess the next 30 days will give me an idea of how good value the service is. In some respects it could still be excellent value as one of my key phrases has a minimum front page bid of £6.50. My advice would be is to simple put the keyphrase in google and you can easily work out CPC and estimated traffic. If this amount is over £20 then it's a good deal for you

I will report back after a month.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
    Posted: Mar 12, 2009 By: AVDave Member since: Mar 12, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.