Marketing & Sales Advice Urgently Needed - Please Help

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Just-Fastfood, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just-Fastfood

Just-Fastfood UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 1
    Before anything, let me say thanks for reading my thread. I'm very grateful!

Now to my questions:

We have a similar business model to that of JUST-EAT UK. However, we took ours a little further by providing delivery services for restaurants and takeaway without delivery drivers which means we have the opportunity of bringing on-board all the 'ignored' restaurants just because they haven't got delivery services. We also deliver fast food such as KFC, Nandos etc.

Have been able to put list of restaurants together, these I found on via Google including their phone numbers.

Now my questions are:

1) Should I just carry on and cold call? If yes, please provide any cost effective call center or software I can use (please note, I'll say I have little or no money ) I currently work full time so I wouldn't be able to do this myself.

2) Any other advice or recommendation on how to promote my site to the customer?

3) Any further recommendations and/or suggestions are welcome. Please share your expertise and your knowledge in this area.

Thanks in anticipation.

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 By: Just-Fastfood Member since: Oct 10, 2012
  2. smo

smo UKBF Ace Free Member

2,094 336
    There is little point in promoting anything to customers when you dont have anything to promote.

I forsee you are destined to fail very quickly if you dont put in more of your own time, basically you have an idea, nothing more than that and its based on an existing operating business so whilst you can emulate what happens in their business you also need to innovate and evolve it giving them a reason to join you.

Have you considerd that the existing just-eat may have exclusive rights contracts with the restaurants they have signed up?

You need to do the business introductions yourself (cold calling if you like), but first do more research than google for their phone number or you wont get past the first person who answers the phone, let alone to a big chain like KFC! Farming it out to a call centre or sales droid who knows nothing of your business will see it fail very quickly.

I'm sorry to be negative but you won't get anywhere without much much more planning an direct input and effort on your own part.

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 By: smo Member since: Apr 3, 2010
  3. Just-Fastfood

8 1
    Many thanks! I will surely keep them in mind.

As a business 'novice', that's one of the reason I posted this to get inputs and contributions. It doesn't matter how negative the response may appear, I'll surely learn from it and follow things through.

4. patientlady

patientlady UKBF Ace Free Member

1,440 281
    Hi there
    Just googled just-fastfood and just fast food and no results i'm afraid.
    With regards to cold calling if you work 9 to 5 then just after 6 is premium time to telephone or call into restaurants even it its just getting information. Calling in will give you far more information than a cold telephone call.
    Just be careful on payment as many of these establishments are struggling.;)
    good luck

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 By: patientlady Member since: Aug 25, 2009
  5. Just-Fastfood

8 1
    Thanks for checking the site out. If you Google just-fastfood, you'll find our Facebook page on the 2nd page. I'm considering hiring a versatile less experience sales person to pitch the product to restaurant owners. I just need someone confident verbally, who's able to handle objections and then pass further leads on for signups. I was surprised just two weeks ago one restaurant owner contacted us and said he'll like to sign up on our site. I know once these people know about the site, we'll have little or no problem bringing them on-board. We also don't charge too much compare to JUST EAT. And the fact that we're ready to help them with deliveries to their customers will give us an edge.

Thanks once more :)

6. Billmccallum

Billmccallum UKBF Newcomer Full Member

4,175 1,076
    You have a range of issues that need to be addressed, much of what Old Welsh Guy said in your other copy of this thread, and what has already been said in this thread.

Key is your focus on getting other people to do the things you should be doing, they can't do it as well as you because they dont have the ability/authority to make changes that meet the needs of the customer at a moments notice.

Second, you like to compare to Just-Eat, but you can't.... they have a national offer, you only cover Portsmouth, the cost of setting up an independent national delivery service would be huge, so you could never make the delivery option open to all businesses, leaving you with just a clone of just-eat and the others in the same market.

Thirdly, the offer to suppliers is of little value if you don't have the customers, you need to focus on leading customers to your site. If I owned a takeaway and you offered your service, the first thing I would do is check out your website and facebook page - 10 takeaways on the web site and 15 likes on facebook would not instill confidence for me.

You need a two-pronged approach, a direct approach to the takeaways and a marketing campaign to the public at home (probably a leaflet drop, given your lack of staff).

You say you have a full-time job (guessing at 9 to 5) so you have from say 6 til 9 to visit takeaways and let them know about you, weekends give you time to do leaflet drops.

If you can't/won't devote your own time to developing your business you wont get it to grow.

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 By: Billmccallum Member since: Apr 20, 2010
  7. Instabus

Instabus UKBF Regular Full Member

218 24
    Am I right in saying that you don't have a website and intend to operate this with only a FB page?

You could potentially have something very good with your idea but it seems that you are a long way off from being able to make it happen with no website and no money.

I once had a similar idea of running a combined delivery service for restaurants but one of the biggest hurdles that I came across was considering how to deal with the inevitability that customers receive either the wrong order or cold food.
    I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't work and also restaurants wouldn't want to risk their reputation by relying on a 3rd party to deliver their food after they have done the hard work of cooking it properly.

I would get the restaurant owner's feedback on this particular fact before deciding to put any more effort into this side of your business model.

That probably answers 3) first so in answer to your other questions:

1) Cold Calling is a time consuming process and restaurant owners are some of the hardest to get hold of for a number of reasons. However I am of the opinion that it is still the best way to generate sales but you need to be prepared for it to take upto 5 attempts to finally get hold of the decision maker before even getting to deliver your pitch to them. And then you need to give them a week or so to think about it before calling them back at an arranged time for their decision.

They will most likely ask you for an email in the meantime with links to your website so you need to have something professional to send to them, and of course a website that they will like.

2) Promoting your site to the customer will be another difficult and costly process. What do Just Eat do? I'm guessing they spend a huge amount on marketing and making sure they are high up on the Google rankings with large SEO investment.

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 By: Instabus Member since: Oct 14, 2012
  8. Billmccallum

Billmccallum UKBF Newcomer Full Member

4,175 1,076
    http://just-fastfood.com/

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 By: Billmccallum Member since: Apr 20, 2010
  9. Instabus

Instabus UKBF Regular Full Member

218 24
    Found it after I posted.

I think the OP has done very well to get some of the big chains on board actually.
    I just wonder what contingencies are in place for complaints of receiving cold food or the wrong order?

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 By: Instabus Member since: Oct 14, 2012
  10. Just-Fastfood

8 1
    Thanks for your inputs.

Have taken on-board everything said and will make amendments as necessary. We're currently distributing leaflet and getting few responses from that.

I will seriously consider direct marketing since that has work in the past. I think I'll make it a habit to visit 3 restaurants every evening to pitch the site to them. I know it might take a bit of time, but with hard-work, we'll eventually get there.

Not so easy comparing with JUST EAT, I know they currently own the market but again we have Hungryhouse who I will say well known as well..

To clarify one more thing, Its not in our business plan to set up an independent delivery services, but wherever we are, we are able to get delivery guys, this is what we currently do for Portsmouth, Southampton and surroundings to mention a few. We just want to make sure we can cover the 150 restaurants in Portsmouth before spreading our wings! I wouldn't sound ridiculous by saying we'll get hold of the 150 restaurants, but nothing shall be impossible!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  11. drdes

drdes UKBF Regular Free Member

260 19
    Can you pls clarify a few things for me:

1. Do you have McDonalds or KFC on board? As in they have linked their system to yours. I think the answer is probably NO but happy to hear otherwise.

2. How will you monetise this?

I think your idea is really good - unfortunately you may have fallen into the trap of creating a new kind of business which hasn't existed before - and for good reason.

Have you thought of the following:

1. What do you think the average value per order will be?
    2. How much on average will you make per order?

The reason I think your business has a fatal flaw is that the order size for places like Mcdonalds, kebab houses etc.. is generally lower than average. You have to factor in the time (cost) of your driver going from his current location to the restaurant and then to the delivery address. He will in all likelihood have to park up, go in, pay (in some cases), wait around for the food to be ready and then drive off to deliver. Average trip my guess is 30-40mins all in....and remember the driver waiting around for the food is costing you money.

Even at minimum wage, its hard to see how there is any profit to be made here.

I do like your idea, and would love to know how you intend to resolve the above.

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 By: drdes Member since: Dec 19, 2010
  12. beasty

beasty , Full Member - Verified Business

2,104 521

If MacDonalds or ANY of these changes wanted to home deliver, they would employ drivers, give them access to a pensions scheme and free burgers and job security, they do not do it as Macdonalds WANTS people to come to them.

If there was money to be made doing this, they would NOT be sharing it! (Worlds largest beef farmers are MaccyDs) they vertically integrate to maximise profit instead of paying farmers, common sense.

Do you think the fatty boom booms that waddle into MacDonalds would move from their couch if they could just ring? Can you imagine how many drivers a single MacDonalds would actually need?!

They sell several meals a minute how would you deliver for a city with 10 Macdonalds? 1000 drivers? Not very green now is it? PLUS if MacDonalds wanted to deliver they would charge the extra and make the money themeselves.

AND that is just one place, you have no chance of doing this, its something a drunk person might suggest.

The person you get to do calls for you would probably be on Class A AND drunk

Good luck in a city of 500,000 with 10 macdonalds and a few KFCs a few nandos.. you plan to deliver a meal every second do you?

That is 3600 an hour and if the delivery guy can do 4.. you are at 900 drivers.. doing maths as i type

NON STARTER

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 By: beasty Member since: Feb 4, 2013
  13. Just-Fastfood

8 1
    OK Thanks for your inputs! :)

14. beasty

2,104 521
    You should TARGET THEIR RIVALS!

They WILL listen to you AND you will not have such insane logistics to cope with

There is a burger chain in my city with 3 outlets, they would be perfect if they did not already deliver, not sure if they do

But thinking you will go from the same idea loads of people have had, i.e. it would be great if they delivered to making that happen is fantasy

Try their rivals, then you can say you only target quality not crap like x, y or z

By the way, a lot of these places are franchised, so you might convince OWNED sites to trial it..

but i think independents is better as the franchisee reports success then it will just become integrated into the franchise model

So what happens if there is a problem with the order? I order food and it arrives wrong, the restaurant give you the wrong food but that is not my problem.. i expect a refund from you.. correct

15. beasty

2,104 521
    Having found your website I would suggest that if you are successful you will be sued by Just Eat as you appear to be mimicking them to the point where I could reasonably believe you are part of their company.

If you open them and click back and forth you really cannot see a difference and this is clearly intended

Your colouring is identical and you use JUST hyphen at the beginning..
    Your font is identical
    Your writing is red same shade with white.
    Even your little JFF is designed to look similar to JE logo..

You will be sued it is an absolute certainty and quite right too

16. Fred_the_frog

Fred_the_frog UKBF Ace Free Member

1,800 235
    So you plan to deliver fast food for restaurants that don't currently do delivery?

I could be wrong, but surely if it was financially viable would they not already be doing it?

I have had a drive through from Mc Donalds a number of times and I take it home to eat. It's about an 8 minute drive home, and when I get home the chips are pretty much cold and the chicken bites are warm. I stick the chips in the microwave but they don't quite taste the same :(

Search 'Why do Mc Donalds not do home delivery?' and you'll find they have a bit on their website about it.

Posted: Feb 10, 2013 By: Fred_the_frog Member since: Jan 30, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.