Manufacturers can't provide Country of Origin

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Sparetoolparts, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Sparetoolparts

Sparetoolparts UKBF Regular Full Member

415 39
    My supplier has given me numerous country of Origin details for the products I sell, however there as 1000's which I don't have. I have commodity codes but not Origin. Any advice other than manually adding these each time I get the product inhand, If I leave Origin blank will the parcel likely to be stopped by customs?

Posted: Feb 10, 2021 By: Sparetoolparts Member since: Oct 26, 2015
  2. Mike Foulds

Mike Foulds UKBF Regular Free Member

121 42
    There is a high chance of this. HMRC are very strict on knowing the actual origin of the goods, and one of the specifications clearly asks that each individual line item on an invoice has the origin stated (Unless all goods are from a single origin, in which case a single statement can be made to cover all). I would strongly push your supplier, even if it means looking elsewhere for an alternative, as charges can quickly rack up if cargo is held by customs.

Posted: Feb 10, 2021 By: Mike Foulds Member since: Mar 21, 2018
  3. Sparetoolparts

Sparetoolparts UKBF Regular Full Member

415 39
    Hi Mike

I can't really change suppliers as it isnt the wholesalers who are the problem it is the manufacturers themselves. Hopefully Brexit will mean they will get this sorted and I'll be ok moving forward :)

Posted: Feb 10, 2021 By: Sparetoolparts Member since: Oct 26, 2015
  4. Mike Foulds

Mike Foulds UKBF Regular Free Member

121 42
    Hi. Fully understood. However, if your supplier feels there is a chance you may, then they may treat providing the origins as a bit more of a priority. Good luck getting it sorted.

Posted: Feb 10, 2021 By: Mike Foulds Member since: Mar 21, 2018
  5. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

28,175 3,470
    And the supplier does not know where the manufacturer is????

Posted: Feb 10, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  6. DefinitelyMaybeUK

DefinitelyMaybeUK UKBF Contributor Free Member

53 8
    One of our suppliers hasn't come up origins for some parts too, mostly 'New Old Stock' stuff acquired in buy ups - I guessing from posts above that a blank origin entry won't simply default to the Third Country Rate for that code? Granted, if it happened to be a of preference origin it would be a loss. Guessing there's no recognised "just charge the full rate" entry that can be substituted in the country box :eek: Or perhaps they've all been manufactured in Russia - asking for a friend.

Posted: Feb 10, 2021 By: DefinitelyMaybeUK Member since: Jan 12, 2021
  7. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

28,175 3,470
    Then perhaps change to china.
    Pretty sure no one will claim fraud if you try and pay full whack.

Most of my stuff has 'made in china' or whatever other country on it. Thousands of items but pretty sure of 90% of them without looking.

Posted: Feb 10, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  8. The Soup Dragon

The Soup Dragon UKBF Regular Free Member

201 7
    What if you buy raw materials in from China and then use them to manufacture?

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 By: The Soup Dragon Member since: May 13, 2013
  9. Larry Fong

Larry Fong UKBF Contributor Full Member

85 8
    If the products are manufactured goods, then it is highly the country of origin should be the place they are manufactured as the end products. It is the trick that the Chinese manufacturers moved the final assembling process to Vietnam during the trade war. :eek:

Posted: Mar 10, 2021 By: Larry Fong Member since: Dec 16, 2020
  10. 2JP

2JP UKBF Contributor Free Member

99 8