Magneto Vs Opencart VS WP woocommerce Vs Shopify which is best ??

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by 2012, Feb 16, 2019.

?

Best eCommerce Platform

1. Magento 1.9

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Magento 2

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Opencart

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. WP Woocommerce

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. Shopify

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,375 583
    No need, there is no way that Magento reduced complexity by 10x - it has 30,000 files compared to OpenCart's 3,000. There's a principle in engineering (including software engineering) that you should keep things as simple as possible.

With 30,000 files, working with Magento sites is an absolute nightmare from infrastructure to extension development: https://www.antropy.co.uk/blog/the-lure-of-magento

Or just running everything through Google Translate?

Paul

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  2. 2012

2012 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

710 18
    We are not really what you call small, We are a independent family run furniture retailer 4 people.

No, we don't ship much, online has been slow for us.
    No we don't do international.
    We deliver all of our own orders, We try to focus on the local area or with a reasonable distance, so we can delivery our self. otherwise the delivery cost would go up which would not be suitable for us or the customer.
    We mostly focus on the main items sofas, beds, mattresses but the range can go upto 100's to 1000's if we add everything we do online.

We have not integrated any system, online has been dead so we had no need.

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 By: 2012 Member since: Sep 22, 2010
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,593 8,983
    In which case Woo, opencart or similar will be fine. It's really not worth the expense of Magento for such a small operation.

If the online side of business grows then maybe a year or two down the line you can move up to Magento but the costs will be much higher (probably a dedicated server for starters).

Start small and simple and see how it goes. Just taking all the pictures and writing the descriptions could take a while and cost you a few grand in photographers fees.

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

7,913 2,154
    Definitely Woo for such a low key operation. It gives you more options to add local content and blogs on furniture and why yours is best/better. How you deliver, why people should order from you etc. For such a target market your content needs more quality over quantity. You are not going to have thousands of products, nor hundreds or orders a day. So you need something that shines. A professionally developed Woo site, with perhaps a professional copy writer could do wonders.

I suspect that for your business your customers do not care what e-commerce package you use, but will definitely prefer a professional glossy site that looks the part and hence can be trusted with their money. Such a site could easily be built and maintained with Woo.

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  5. fisicx

30,593 8,983
    In fact if is a local operation you don't even need to sell online. A brochure site with lots of ideas and grouped products that people can browse and then come to the store to pick up or order might work even better.

Don't try to compete with the chains, make this a really special site for local people. I would want to see your recommendations, suggestions for a rug to match a sofa or an occasional table and tamp combination and so on.

Maybe offer a consultancy. People send in a picture of their bedroom and you send back your ideas for furniture and soft furnishing. If they buy you can do the before and after pictures and a write up about the project. Get a few of these on the site and shared on SM sites and you could easily pick up some referrals.

Widen your horizon and there are loads of ways you can promote the business online.

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. 2012

2012 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

710 18
    this is what I've always thought myself but a lot of focus has been shift online, even more now so I think we need to try harder we may not survive.

I think the main reason we sell less online is because of what we sell ( furniture )
    We are not a big brand so we dont always come to mind and cant always compete with places like ebay.

Most of our customer are from low income areas, so somethings will not really matter to them which we have noticed.

Price is a key factor to most of our customers.

We have noticed a lot of customers are buying online now.
    We have customers coming in to buy cartpets but they already ordered the sofa online. or a mattress but already ordered the bed online.

The biggest problem is getting your self found online.

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 By: 2012 Member since: Sep 22, 2010
  7. Inva

Inva UKBF Regular Free Member

369 62
    I'm just answering the OP's question.
    A bot? And how did you come to that conclusion??
    Someone inform Amazon and eBay that they're doing it wrong! Also, "custom" has not, does not and will not mean, ever, "doing your own with Laravel".

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 By: Inva Member since: Aug 10, 2018
  8. Inva

369 62
    I would not take any more advice from the people who gave you this advice. I think just from reading these 2 lines that they are not very knowledgeable. First of all, "next step" in what exactly? The latest technology is rarely the best solution and furthermore it has nothing to do with how often you'll "upgrade" (is upgrading software even a thing? I have been calling it "update", guess I was wrong). If anything, you'll be "upgrading" a lot more, as new code is of a lot worse quality than old code. And lastly, using other people's code is by definition using more unnecessary code and not less, as their code was not done for your needs but for some other needs, often generic, so they have to include a lot of stuff in it which probably don't interest you.

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 By: Inva Member since: Aug 10, 2018
  9. cmorales

cmorales UKBF Newcomer Free Member

27 1
    Magento 2 has still have bugs and glitches but eventually this CMS will be stable.

For Magento 1.9 is more stable than new one although it has no security since Magento 2 has released.

If you don't have an headache I suggest use shopify.

Posted: Feb 22, 2019 By: cmorales Member since: Feb 14, 2019
  10. evhow90

evhow90 UKBF Contributor Free Member

27 4
    Wordpress Cons - Not really built to be an eCommerce platform - Sorry but I totally disagree! Woocommerce has absolutely caught up with the likes of Magento. The SEO plugins like Yoast also mean even the most newbie business owner can make suggested changes without paying a fortune to agencies. Plugins can slow sites for sure, but overall I'd choose this platform over any others due to the success I've seen with clients who have moved from other platforms.

Posted: Mar 3, 2019 By: evhow90 Member since: Mar 3, 2019
  11. ProjectOcto

ProjectOcto UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

148 18
    And I you knew much about DEO you’d know that yoast helps clients with about 15% of what SEO is, hardly identifying any issues that dodgy WooCommerce themes, poor product data construction and design can cause.
    Close to Magento? Not a chance. One is for lazy people, the other is for highly advanced people. Neither sorts the in between issues out

Posted: Mar 3, 2019 By: ProjectOcto Member since: Aug 1, 2013
  12. fisicx

30,593 8,983
    No it hasn't. Not even close.
    99% of the advice Yoast provides is either irrelevant, misguided or just plain wrong.

Posted: Mar 3, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  13. Inva

369 62
    You forgot to mention it destroys site performance. But it says it helps with SEO so it has to be good right?

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 By: Inva Member since: Aug 10, 2018
  14. The Ecom Guy

The Ecom Guy UKBF Contributor Full Member

41 7
    Simple answer here:
    Each one will be the correct choice for different businesses.
    What you should really focus on is first answering these questions:
    1. what functionality you want
    2. how much control you want to have (say over code / css)
    3. will you have internal dev resources / internal marketing tea,
    4. how many different products are you looking to have
    5. how many attributes / sets are you looking to have
    These are the very tip of the ice berg questions - but they are the ones you probably should have an idea about before choosing your ecom platform of choice.

There is not a simple 1 size fits all answer here

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 By: The Ecom Guy Member since: Mar 3, 2019
  15. wayzgoose

wayzgoose UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

777 114
    So what is a good SEO plugin?

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 By: wayzgoose Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  16. fisicx

30,593 8,983
    Depends on what you want your plugin to do.

In most cases, all you really need is the ability to edit the page title and description.

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  17. wayzgoose

wayzgoose UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

777 114
    This is for a text only site - information only.

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 By: wayzgoose Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  18. Amanda91

Amanda91 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Well for me is Shopify. It provides security, reliability and has excellent loading speed easily integrated with apps Shopify gdpr easily manageable through apps like GDPR Buster and it is visually appealing eCommerce platform.

Posted: Apr 4, 2019 By: Amanda91 Member since: Mar 28, 2019
  19. DanH

DanH UKBF Contributor Free Member

47 3
    We run a Wordpress/Woocommerce website of 120 odd products that has turned into a bit of a Frankenstein to be honest. It looks great as we have, over the years,, spent thousands on dev work but it runs dog slow. Then only reaosn we get away with it is because it is our own brand so a captive audience so to speak. At 50 odd plugins and a hefty amount of dev work from different devs (doesn't help) it is no wonder it has speed issues.

We went Woocommerce as we were pretty much OK with the running of Wordpress as a CMS but ran a cart separately. We liked the idea of everything integrated into the one place and not having to get separate cart devs to Wordpress devs. It is also highly configurable to our needs and limited budget although ongoing dev work has cost us a lot. However, I do look at it now and wonder whether the best choice was made. It is a nightmare keeping it up to date plugin-wise and we've had to engage various developers to maintain it. The speed issue also needs sorting. I am currently going through an exercise of setting up a staging site and literally turning plugins on/off and checking results to see if I can find what is causing the major slowdowns.

We have another website that runs on X-cart and a separate Wordpress blog. The Wordpress installation is easy to keep up to date as that site is fairly 'basic', proably 10 or so plugins. The X-cart installation, in comparison to Woocommerce, has required very little attention other than the initial dev work when it got built. It gets patched when it needs to (which again is relatively cheap), it is fast and does everything it needs to. However, X-cart does not work with half as much as what Woocommerce does e.g the varous multi-channel type software that connects to various carts etc and we are getting to the end of life on the branch we are on. I now have to make the decison as to whether I want to take that site down the same path as our Woocommerce site.

Ideally, if I could get the theme and most of the plugins from the same stable author (maybe someone like Yith who do a lot of decent plugins), then I would be pretty comfortable that everything should work together, or at least I only have to go to the one author to sort problems out. However it hasnt been like this and this worries me for this next website's future.

Anyway, thought I would share our experience and what I am struggling with in a similar vein.

Posted: Jun 7, 2019 By: DanH Member since: Jan 5, 2010
  20. AndrewJhnsn333

AndrewJhnsn333 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

21 1
    This choice is very individual, it roots in the peculiarities of your business, how new you are to ecommerce, your budgetary considerations, how do you plan to grow and expand your business. Having all these considerations in mind, it is possible to make a wise decision on that ecommerce platform to choose.

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 By: AndrewJhnsn333 Member since: Apr 22, 2019