Magento, what makes it good ?

Discussion in 'Websites & Ecommerce' started by msimplay, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msimplay

msimplay UKBF Newcomer

76 7
    Hi everyone, I always hear a lot recommendations on this forum about how good Magento is.

My question is, What exactly makes it worth the money in comparison to the other solutions out there ?

I really do want to know , my personal experiences are that I have seen some good Magento shops but not really better than anything else out there in the Enterprise realm. Also the backend got me really annoyed adding products is a major pain in comparison to other carts I have used.
    I also don't understand why is the side navigation menu an extra ?
    All e-commerce software usually has it as standard and to my amazement I see it available as a paid addon.

So please enlighten me all those who recommend Magento ?

Posted: Aug 10, 2009 By: msimplay Member since: Jul 14, 2009
  2. nickpp

nickpp UKBF Contributor

236 11
    You do not need to pay for it as it is open source it is free (community edition)

Lots of features and some nice looking standard templates!

Posted: Aug 11, 2009 By: nickpp Member since: Aug 11, 2008
  3. eukhost

eukhost UKBF Regular

209 33
    Magento is an enterprise level ecommerce platform which is ideally suited for established retailers and who wants advanced feature for their cart. Magento won't be an ideal solution for beginners setting up their ecommerce business.Magento is not recommended for small business. You can check the magento features list at http://tinyurl.com/kpwzak

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    Posted: Aug 11, 2009 By: eukhost Member since: Aug 22, 2006
  4. msimplay

msimplay UKBF Newcomer

76 7

I'm not comparing it to small business solutions. I'm comparing it to other "Enterprise" solutions.

I don't see how Magento can justify the price just by calling itself an Enterprise solution. Seems like a cop out to me.

I don't see what advanced features Magento has ?

Posted: Aug 11, 2009 By: msimplay Member since: Jul 14, 2009
  5. brownie

brownie UKBF Big Shot

1,364 191

If you're talking about the paid for version, then having worked on many "high end" and bespoke ecommerce solutions I think they are taking the p*ss. The product is not mature enough yet to be charging that amount for a license.

I'd be interested to know how many of those licenses they have sold, not many at a guess.

Posted: Aug 11, 2009 By: brownie Member since: Jul 9, 2007
  6. msimplay

msimplay UKBF Newcomer

76 7
    Was just thinking
    Interspire geared towards ease of use and Product cart geared towards the most out of the box features of any cart I've ever seen both much better and cost a fraction of what Magento costs with regards to Enterprise software.
    I did a quick search on google to see what Magento offers as an Enterprise solution be compared to the others in the same price range.

I don't see where Magento is "fully" featured I understand it's good for a free cart but Enterprise ?

Posted: Aug 11, 2009 By: msimplay Member since: Jul 14, 2009
  7. edmondscommerce

edmondscommerce Magento + PHP Expert

3,654 624
    what makes magento great is that it allows anyone with either the technical skill or the funds to hire someone who does to set up a powerful web store that is highly featured and future proof.

My favourite front end feature is the product attributes and layered navigation system. Brilliant and with all kinds of potential for all sorts of different business models.

Admin side I love the multi store implementation. Having done some bespoke multistore stuff I know how complex it is and I think the way they have pulled it together is intuitive and powerful.

Under the bonnet - I love the fact that its Zend Framework based and fully object oriented. I think the fact that you can very easily set it up to use a database cluster is a real enterprise level feature, but one that you can grow into as and when you need it.

Regular updates, a serious business model and some obviously lofty aspirations (its great that the enterprise edition is being charged out at that rate) mean that for me I think any ecommerce webmaster who is looking to upgrade or establish their site would be foolish to choose something else without taking a very close look at Magento.

Posted: Aug 11, 2009 By: edmondscommerce Member since: Nov 11, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. msimplay

msimplay UKBF Newcomer

76 7
    Thank you [FONT=arial,sans-serif]edmondscommerce [/FONT]finally a constructive reply [FONT=arial,sans-serif]:)
    [/FONT]

Posted: Aug 12, 2009 By: msimplay Member since: Jul 14, 2009
  9. MWIS

MWIS UKBF Newcomer

3 1
    The two main reasons it is a good platform, is firstly its functionality for users of the site and secondly and most importantly it is very SEO friendly unlike zen cart etc

Have a look at something like www myla com to see what can be done with it.

Posted: Aug 12, 2009 By: MWIS Member since: Jul 16, 2009
  10. brownie

brownie UKBF Big Shot

1,364 191
    Myla isn't the best advert for Magento because it appears to have not been implemented on the right platform as it exhibits the usual problem of being too slow once you dig down the categories.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
    Posted: Aug 12, 2009 By: brownie Member since: Jul 9, 2007
  11. msimplay

msimplay UKBF Newcomer

76 7
    I don't know I find using the backend a chore I don't know how comes no one else see's this ?

12. edmondscommerce

3,654 624
    no problem :)

lightning fast for me at the moment, some quite nice pictures as well - ahem

Posted: Aug 12, 2009 By: edmondscommerce Member since: Nov 11, 2008
  13. brownie

brownie UKBF Big Shot

1,364 191
    Possibly a connection issue my end.

A very pleasant site. :redface:;)

Posted: Aug 12, 2009 By: brownie Member since: Jul 9, 2007
  14. msimplay

msimplay UKBF Newcomer

76 7
    lol I agree very nice site. But going back to the issue of the backend I find it annoying to use.

No one else has this issue ?

15. edmondscommerce

3,654 624
    no not really

what is it you find annoying exactly?

Posted: Aug 13, 2009 By: edmondscommerce Member since: Nov 11, 2008
  16. msimplay

msimplay UKBF Newcomer

76 7
    Adding products, a mainstay of any cart is so annoying in Magento because of the way every option is in a another tab.

Posted: Aug 13, 2009 By: msimplay Member since: Jul 14, 2009
  17. edmondscommerce

3,654 624
    hmm i think thats fine

seen how many options there are - how else would you like it laid out?

18. msimplay

msimplay UKBF Newcomer

76 7
    Well on a single page so it doesn't load every single time you click a tab ?
    Ajax would be good

19. edmondscommerce

3,654 624
    er - think it is using Ajax actually

Magento uses Ajax heavily

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  20. msimplay

msimplay UKBF Newcomer

76 7

I was saying in conjunction with single page rather than tabs.
    I know you lot are developers pushing the Magento platform but there's got to be an easier way to add products.

I can't imagine adding 100's with the admin interface being slow and that was on localhost.

Also how comes a standard feature on most carts such as the automatically generation left navigation completely omited ?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.