Magento one step checkout - is it really that effective?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by jastreet1, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jastreet1

jastreet1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

392 19
    Hi all,

I am currently working on my site daily, grabbing the latest extensions to help improve the customer experience, which seems to be a challenge I am so far making progress with.

However, I have hit a speed bump. I have seen extentions for Magento with a one step/page checkout and various versions thereof. Is it really that effective? Do sales really increase by 35%. Well that bit I think is excessive, really 10-15% would be enough for me.

I have studied a little only that say, no it is not effective. Yet, reviews seem to be positive. Not either me or my partner agree on this one.

Does anyone have any experience with the one step checkout approach? Did it have an effect on conversions and if so in which direction?

I would be grateful if anyone is able to shed any light on this. Many thanks.

Posted: Sep 8, 2012 By: jastreet1 Member since: May 25, 2011
  2. a1anm

a1anm UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

733 79
    Posted: Sep 8, 2012 By: a1anm Member since: Jan 29, 2011
  3. iboxsecurity

iboxsecurity UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

943 145
    We have installed and even customized the one step checkout for various customers and although getting it to work on some of the older versions of magento can be a pain, most the clients we have worked with have found that it has indeed worked for them.

But really, its best to do a test.....run it for a while with and without, or a/b test if possible at the same time where by X% of visitors get the one step checkout from magento and another X% get a custom one page checkout module.

Posted: Sep 8, 2012 By: iboxsecurity Member since: May 21, 2008
  4. mit74

mit74 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,436 444
    Yes they work, although the Magento one where you have 'steps' isn't as effective. I programmed a custom one step checkout a while back which didnt have these steps, it was one big page and almost immeditaely they started get over 30% more sales.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    Posted: Sep 9, 2012 By: mit74 Member since: Jun 4, 2010
  5. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

8,190 2,277
    I would strongly suggest that you do not change your checkout based on the advice of people on a forum. Especially when no-one has asked what you sell and who your target market is. A one step checkout could cripple your conversion rate, or improve it significantly. It all depends on your customers and how they view it.

The only way to be certain is to test it.

Posted: Sep 9, 2012 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  6. owas

owas UKBF Ace Free Member

1,415 256
    Not got any advice as such, but I have been strongly considering this option. If you do install it, and see a change, do keep us updated. In my research I also found what's looks like the best one page checkout extension, feel free to drop me a pm if you want the link.

Posted: Sep 9, 2012 By: owas Member since: Jan 3, 2010
  7. Curious

Curious UKBF Newcomer Free Member

701 196
    As above, test it. I use http://visualwebsiteoptimizer.com/ because it's cheap (imo) and really easy to use.

On a site I have, I tested the one page against the multi page and saw a nice increase.

Posted: Sep 10, 2012 By: Curious Member since: Jan 10, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.