Magento 2

Discussion in 'Magento Support' started by 1977, Jul 14, 2017.

1. 1977

1977 UKBF Contributor Full Member

So what's the deal with migrating to Magento 2 from 1.9.

My current dev tells me it's not as straight forward as redirecting and you kind of have to build a fresh site (and he has no intention of using M2...). Is this correct?

Will I have to buy all the extensions again?

Will all back links etc be lost?

Are Magento ironing out the bugs?

I no I'll need to do it at some point but have spent a small fortune on building a high converting site and am loathed to change it if I don't need to...

Posted: Jul 14, 2017 By: 1977 Member since: May 10, 2012
  2. webhostuk

webhostuk UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

Upgrade is always recommended,as far as I know its changes and better.
    Regarding backlinks I don't feel that will be changed so you eed not worry about it.
    Bugs all software's have bugs they just fix and improve.

Posted: Jul 14, 2017 By: webhostuk Member since: Jul 26, 2009
  3. Mark_Taylor_

Mark_Taylor_ UKBF Regular Free Member

It is a pretty complex upgrade from 1x to 2x (to say the least) as there are so many differences to the codebase. I've not done attempted the upgrade on my clients websites, but have heard some horror stories from other agencies.

Also if you have any 3rd party modules these will all probably need upgrading, as will API stuff if used.

magento 2 is much the same as magento 1 in regards to bugs so not much change there. backlinks are not an issue as you can recreate your new URL / rewrite structure the same in magento 2x (apart from a few backend admin controllers and endpoints, but thats not a problem).

Posted: Jul 14, 2017 By: Mark_Taylor_ Member since: Jul 10, 2017
  4. pelparc

pelparc UKBF Regular Free Member

As a user not a Magento programmer when i last looked it was a complete nightmare. I can not believe a conversion program isn't freely available to convert and upload all content into the new system. I understand that the modules and theme might not work, but to make upgrading even the basic information not available is insane. Additionally when i looked most of the free modules are no longer free and one off payment modules now have a yearly subscription. To me it looks like the whole Magento 2 is just a massive revenue generator for the programmers with zero gain for users and customers. Could be time to look for alternatives, which is a real shame.

Posted: Jul 14, 2017 By: pelparc Member since: Apr 10, 2017
  5. 1977

All the above concerns me somewhat...

We've all been led a merry dance by "experts" that do more harm than good, and the thought of paying thousands to anyone and it being royally f'ed up gives me the fear!

Will no 3rd party provider be bringing out patches when Magento stops supporting M1?

I can see myself simply moving over to something like Shopify or Wordpress/Woo

6. 1977

Like what??

7. Mark_Taylor_

I'm an experienced magento developer working towards becoming a qualified frontend developer, however as most of my experience has been in Magento 1x i'm having to delve into magento 2 as part of the certification.. I'm not sure i can be bothered right now TBH.

I suspect it should be fairly straight forward to export / import things like CMS pages, static block and widgets (if anyone actually uses widgets), but i know from bitter experience that order export / import has never been supported by 1x. Also customer import can be hit and miss.

For products use Magmi importer as its free and amazing

8. Mark_Taylor_

A couple of local agencies lost a few grand due to so many unbillable hours with dev's working on this for days on end. It doesn't help that no two magento installations are ever the same (blame the plugin culture), and some terrible dev's modifying CORE files!!!

We have decided we aren't doing any magento 1x to 2x migrations.. it's just too hard to quote for.
    I've used a service called cart2cart to migrate magento stores before, they MAY offer some sort of 1 to 2 conversion service i'm not sure.

9. heimerdinger

heimerdinger UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Absolutely not, If you choose right providers, you will not have to buy extensions again.
    Magento Migration will not kill your backlinks. don't worry.
    One last question, Magento is the strongest flatform in my point of view.
    ;). Don't be afraid. Upgrade is an essential action for your site.

Posted: Jul 18, 2017 By: heimerdinger Member since: Jul 18, 2017
  10. Mark_Taylor_

There are many module developers, even the best ones that aren't giving free magento 2 upgrades, as the new module is likely to be heavily re-factored, if not rebuilt from scratch.. some offer discounts if you've bought the 1x version, but not all offer this.

Upgrading from 1x to 2x is not to be taken lightly... as it can be a very complicated job (depending on the state of the original 1x website) and if the core files, database has been modded etc etc.

If you've a successful online shop, then dedicate time and budget and staff (if possible) as bad migrations can be catastrophic for established businesses.

Posted: Jul 18, 2017 By: Mark_Taylor_ Member since: Jul 10, 2017
  11. edmondscommerce

edmondscommerce Magento + PHP Expert Full Member - Verified Business

Magento 2 is a new platform and there isn't really any scope for copying modules or themes from 1.x to 2.x.

There is an official data migration tool, though it's very technical and definitely aimed at developers, not users.

That said, it's a great tool and very much up to the task. The data migration is really a project in it's own right but by releasing this tool Magento have given developers the basic platform they need to build a robust and repeatable data migration process which can be tested and perfected before being used for the final real upgrade.

Beyond data migration, the other things you will need are very much like any new Magento site build:
    • Theme
    • payment and shipping modules
    • ERP/warehouse integrations
    • Custom functionality
    I'd agree that Magento 2 has become more complex but I'd say its also become more professional. If something like Shopify is a real option for you though then perhaps Magento 2 isn't the right choice.

On the other hand, there isn't necessarily a huge rush to upgrade to Magento 2 just yet - you have at least 18 months more support for Magento 1 at least in terms of security updates. However, I do recommend anyone definitely planning to go for a Magento 2 upgrade to start as soon as possible so that time can be taken to do careful planning, building and testing and there is no requirements for a last minute rush job when Magento 1 goes out of support.

Posted: Jul 18, 2017 By: edmondscommerce Member since: Nov 11, 2008
  12. Milliardo

Milliardo UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Right now Magento 2 is still in a state of flux. Maybe once it has become more stable it would be a good platform. Right now Magento 1.9 is still good to use.

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 By: Milliardo Member since: Oct 25, 2016
  13. GoingOnline

GoingOnline UKBF Contributor Free Member

Magento 2 is a totally different codebase to Magento 1.x and so the migration is a royal PITA. I mean, it's great if you are thinking anyway of having your site revamped and everything, and it may be that some extensions offer free upgrades. But it's not just a regular upgrade.

That said, the premise of Magento 2 codebase is good, and it's probably going to become a much better product and easier to maintain and as a developer I love the idea though it's not still stable enough that I would use it on a customer site, particularly high traffic.

Magento 1.9 works, is tested and tried, and if it works for you I wouldn't upgrade for the sake of upgrading. There will be security patches for a while yet.

Posted: Sep 15, 2017 By: GoingOnline Member since: Jun 18, 2011
  14. wood1e2

wood1e2 UKBF Ace Free Member

According to Magento they will not stop 'being right behind Magento V1 shop owners'

But being a cynical old git they then said ' we will give 18 months notice to any changes!! '

So at some point or another they will kill off updates etc... so at some point or another M2 will be force upon people.

Or migrate to another platform.

If you work on that basis then you won't be surprised and only half annoyed :)

Posted: Sep 15, 2017 By: wood1e2 Member since: May 2, 2007
  15. Infigic

Infigic UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Right now Magento 2 is on spot.

Posted: Oct 3, 2017 By: Infigic Member since: Dec 30, 2016
  16. Toon

Toon UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

We are upgrading from 1 to 2. We have two full time in-house developers and it has taken them 3 months so far to upgrade. We do have a lot of data to transfer. My senior dev says it's worth it in the long run so I hope so ;)

Posted: Oct 4, 2017 By: Toon Member since: Jul 17, 2004