Mac or Windows?

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by safetynut, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MancunianCreative

MancunianCreative UKBF Newcomer Full Member

611 112
    I can't believe how quickly you reply slagging it off. What has Apple ever done to you?

Posted: Nov 15, 2011 By: MancunianCreative Member since: Aug 26, 2011
  2. Subbynet

Subbynet UKBF Legend

6,066 1,101
    You, by way of believing Apple, have tried posting statements bordering on blatant lies. It's a common tactic of Apple WWDC conferences.

You must of heard of the "reality distortion field".

The RDF was said by Andy Hertzfeld to be Steve Jobs' ability to convince himself and others to believe almost anything with a mix of charm, charisma, bravado, hyperbole, marketing, appeasement, and persistence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_distortion_field

Also, I have to say, it's a childish to end with "What has Apple ever done to you"..

Posted: Nov 15, 2011 By: Subbynet Member since: Aug 1, 2005
  3. MancunianCreative

611 112
    What have I posted that is lies?

Yes I have heard of the RDF, I've read the Jobs autobiography. I find it interesting that you have spent so much time to really learn up on a company you dislike.

I'm interested in Apple because I like their products. But if you don't like the products why spend time researching it?

4. Nala

Nala UKBF Contributor Free Member

99 29

It's because they are worried about their jobs and positions. They don't like it because of that. If they were clever enough they could do the high-end IT stuff, but many are not - simples ;)

The 'IT industry' forget that many everyday users don't want to be bogged down in all the computer guff, they don't use computers because that is their job, they use computers to do their job and just want to get on with it. Whilst the 'IT industry' will lose all those lovely service calls of defrags and re-installs and other useless by products forced on us by MS :rolleyes:

I'm off now byeee :)

Posted: Nov 15, 2011 By: Nala Member since: Jul 28, 2011
  5. Subbynet

Subbynet UKBF Legend

6,066 1,101
    Sorry, it's not about disliking Apple or their products, it's actually more about Mac users who don't really understand computers but wish to speak on a technical level about which OS/Computer is best - based on which is more shiny.

I hear so many things from Apple users which make me cringe - Use a Mac and you don't need AV... Use a Mac - it just works... etc etc etc...

Wait until you start supporting the people who have malware infesting their machine, or when they come to you saying "It's broke I don't know why"...

People who like Apple products, who liked Steve Jobs, buy into their advertising and marketing 100%... But you should be gracious enough to admit where it doesn't live up to expectations, and you shouldn't give others false hopes.

In this area, Windows users are much more on the level, but some mac user's are up there with Linux Zealots.

6. Nuno

Nuno UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,783 1,607
    Adore the fanbois bleat: "whats Apple ever done to you"?

Well, there's Original Sin.

Posted: Nov 15, 2011 By: Nuno Member since: Oct 10, 2011
  7. MancunianCreative

611 112
    I have only ever spoken about my experience with them, I've allowed family and friends to use my equipment and to a man (or woman) they've said how much they prefer it to windows.

My father, never got on with his PC, he was forever getting viruses, registry problems, he got a Mac 18 month ago and has never looked back. I've only ever had to set his mail up for him. So for him it just works.

For me, I've said why I prefer them. More than once.

So I will ask again, where have I BLATANTLY lied?

8. Subbynet

Subbynet UKBF Legend

6,066 1,101
    What was he doing with it? .... My Father - who has no idea about computers and prefers pen & paper, manages to use his PC and laptop with hardly any support - the odd occasion he asks how to do something, but I can't remember the last time he broke anything.

Registry problems? I mean honestly... If you have these problems on Windows, you won't just find everything works on a Mac - you just won't. It's so simple to fix registry errors (That rarely happen anyway!) that this is a joke to bring up.

If you get viruses and malware on Windows (the vast majority is malware - not viruses), the chances are you'll get them on Mac's, the only difference is you probably won't ever know, because you don't have AV installed.

Here is what I said.

"You, by way of believing Apple, have tried posting statements bordering on blatant lies. It's a common tactic of Apple WWDC conferences."

In relation to you posting Growth Figures without any real context.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  9. Davek0974

Davek0974 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,530 308
    Well it didnt take long to sink to a slanging match, almost as fast as a discussion on immigration in the UK.

As i said, i run pc's at work and have done for many years, they are generally ok but as new OS's come out they get worse and worse, far too many bells and whistles, software is too bloated. I switched to mac at home solely because i was sick of the pc bombing out with blue-screens back in the days of the 486cpu etc. That was the most sensible switch i ever made, NONE of the other apple items i have were bought because i love Steve Jobs OR because they were shiny! They were bought to fill a gap or to perform a task, based on the fact that reliability was a given, i have no negative things to say about them because nothing bad has occurred yet.

Setup is a doddle, using them is intuitive, unlike a pc, where the GUI is clunky and bulky and the security model is a nightmare when it comes to domain networking.

Posted: Nov 15, 2011 By: Davek0974 Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  10. Ammy john

Ammy john UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    why so many people still love windows not Mac?

Posted: Nov 15, 2011 By: Ammy john Member since: Nov 3, 2011
  11. Nala

99 29

But they wouldn't go to you would they?

They would go to an Apple store or seller like Stormfront etc.

I think I've hit the nail on the head ;)

12. MancunianCreative

611 112
    [​IMG]

13. Subbynet

Subbynet UKBF Legend

6,066 1,101
    Na, of course not... I've only done it for years - I know nothing. :rolleyes: Honestly, what is the point of this post?

Apple's in-store support is very good, but if you think everyone wants to go to an Apple store you're very much mistaken. Not least the fact the nearest store to here is in Milton Keynes - about 25 miles away.

14. MancunianCreative

611 112
    Here's what McDonalds give users trying to set up Wifi

[​IMG]

15. MancunianCreative

611 112
    I have 2 within 5/6 miles - that may be the difference.

16. Nala

99 29

Yup, corner store seller of PC bits and bobs, but can't do Apple stuff and knows the support is not as needed ( some is, they are not perfect ). So they can see their business dwindling if people switch.

Enough said.

Byeee :)

17. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

15,449 3,074
    I've just replaced the headset jack in an iPod. I am now a qualified Apple support engineer. (So what if the steel case is now a bit buckled - the spare part only cost £3.99 inc p&P)

I haven't worked out why the iPad's browser keeps crashing with the new 5.0.1 software though. (I didn't get the iPad at first, now you couldn't wrench it from my hands with a crowbar.)

Posted: Nov 15, 2011 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  18. Subbynet

Subbynet UKBF Legend

6,066 1,101
    lol... Your a joker I'll give you that. But you're factually wrong on all counts. Apple is actually a growing market for support. Also, Apple users are normally willing to pay more than those using Windows... But hey, what do you know? You're just trying to sound clever. :)

19. mit74

mit74 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,429 444
    wow mancuiancreative you come across as a complete typical fanboy.... 'What has Mac ever done to you?'... really?

The mac vs pc poster is clearly made by a mac fanboy trying to prove how Mac user are trendy and cool and PC users are nerds and the mcdonalds poster does not show the correct procedure for connecting to a wireless network for either winXP or Vista... again clearly made by someone who uses a Mac and doesn't know how to use Windows.
    Your comments are quite laughable really and you're the sort of fanboy even Mac users are embarrassed about.

Posted: Nov 15, 2011 By: mit74 Member since: Jun 4, 2010
  20. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

15,449 3,074
    I do a free neighbours tech support service as a hobby but since most of them have now upgraded to windows 7 (new PCs too) I don't get called anymore. Windows 7 mostly 'just works' too - so long as the hardware has enough grunt.

Posted: Nov 15, 2011 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.