Looming Redundancy. Any businesses ideas?

Discussion in 'First Steps To Starting A Business' started by chezi, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chezi

chezi UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 0
    Hi all
    I have redundancy looming over my head and likely to happen at the end of March 2013, I am looking at starting my own small business up but not sure of which area to get into..I have always worked in the chemical industry so I am not an expert in any area really.
    My initial ideas are (some are too obvious)

Car Valeting
    Jetwashing
    Window cleaning
    Airport shuttle
    Courier
    Windscreen repair
    Leaflet distribution

I would like to get my teeth into something more original and exciting but like I say im no expert in any area or in business. Im also unsure about whether to start a business off as a stand alone or use a franchise? I have £5000 - £15000 cash to start any of these ideas up would be interested in any advise anybody here could give me. Im open to discuss anybodys ideas. Thank you for your time and look forward to hearing from you all.:|:|:|:|

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    Posted: Jan 14, 2013 By: chezi Member since: Feb 22, 2011
  2. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,367 1,755
    The best business to start is one that you can be passionate about and that you have prior experience of.

Starting a business can be a hard slog, so it takes perseverance, and you also need to shine against the competition. If you have both passion and skill for a particular thing you have a good foundation.

This might sound very general, but I don't know you personally so can't say whether jet washing of window chip fixing suits you better.

Another tip is, don't plan to spend all your cash on setting up your business spend as little as you can get away with regardless of what you have.

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  3. businessfunding

businessfunding Guest

0 0
    I agree with Roibot - sit down and do some sums and decide which uits you best. Also, don't start your business on the basis of what money you have - but lend your business money as required (on the back of your plan)

As you are being made redundant, I suggest you sign on to Jobseekers and access the NEA scheme which will give you a mentor.

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 By: businessfunding Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  4. intercityuk

intercityuk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

96 11
    If your good at DIY and stuff I would start a Handyman business wouldn't cost you much to start up. You can do all kinds of different jobs the key is to get your business cards out there and start advertising and building a good reputation.

Just make sure you are not in my area LOL

Regards Paul:cool:

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 By: intercityuk Member since: Jan 8, 2013
  5. funnyman

funnyman Guest

3 0
    ^^ but can that be scaled up? ^^ Generalyl people will not pay much for "handy man jobs" And being a solo trader is different to starting a business.

Posted: Jan 16, 2013 By: funnyman Member since: Jan 16, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.