Looking for Niche Marketing Guides

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by webgeek, Jun 4, 2019.

1. webgeek

webgeek UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,029 1,472
    Thanks in advance for reading this brief post.

In the past, I've created a niche publication (free) that helps marketers by examining how web hosting choices can impact their marketing efforts.

I'm not trying to promote that. There's no cost, no paywall, no signup form.

I AM trying to find other niche guides around marketing. I know some put forth niche information in the form of courses, like Ray's Fresh Bananas SEO course. If it was an ebook instead of a course, it would be a perfect example.

Can anyone point to any niche guides to marketing, perhaps how marketing is influenced/boosted by things like photography, technology, social proof, paid promotion, etc?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2019
    Posted: Jun 4, 2019 By: webgeek Member since: May 19, 2009
  2. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

2,849 1,000
    @webgeek has been a member for ages, and he knows what he's talking about. He'll get away with more than some because his posts are valuable to the forum.

He does need a slap for using his signature for promoting super cheap seo'd copy like some sort of spammer though. :D

Posted: Jun 4, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  3. webgeek

4,029 1,472
    Thanks, I think :p

I'm offering to write some wickedly good copy at a great rate. I'm not farming it out offshore. It'll be my fingers bleeding to the bone, slaving away on that content. That is allowed in sigs still isn't it? I know it's been awhile since I was active.

4. AllUpHere

2,849 1,000
    It was meant as a compliment.

I think you can have (pretty much) whatever you like in your signature, so you are safe from the mods. However, those of us who spend our lives telling clients cheap copy is crap have got our eye on you.

5. webgeek

4,029 1,472
    I'm used to paying £35 per 1,000 - that's the rate I've paid for years, both to British and American writers.

Sorry you don't like the competitive pricing, but I need enough market share to feed a family. I'm not looking to employ a team of offshore writers which I then can edit and mark-up for a profit.

I'm a one man band. Doubt me? Ask Tin, the moderator here. He's known me for 7-8 years+.

6. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,525 3,299
    Re rates - £35 is a remarkably low price. NUJ rates for low circulation mags and corporate use were three times that 30 years ago! And in the US it was 60 cents a word.

A skilled and experienced writer working on copy they understand to the N'th degree can bang out 2,000 words a day. So that's £70 a day! Half that for a beginner.

I'm none too sure what you are looking for - ideas for a new online book or examples of existing ones?

Posted: Jun 4, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  7. webgeek

4,029 1,472
    Actually a skilled writer can bang out 3x that in a day on familiar topics and 2x that on ones requiring familiarisation. Guess it depends on the writer and the tools they're using.

One of the lead business development guys at Target Dashboard used speech to text and could churn out some serious volumes compared to many seasoned writers, despite it not being his natural vocation.

I'm looking for niche guides, like "How to Improve Content Marketing with Stunning Photography" or "How to Boost Social Media Marketing with Automation Tools". There's undoubtedly a million+ results on Google, but I hoped for a human recommendation to make some stick up above the rest.

Gordon recently shared https://clickboost.co.uk/beat-competitors-online/ which is a guide of sorts to competitive intelligence, and that fits. Great guide by the way.

8. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,525 3,299
    I completely disagree - and I used to employ seasoned journalists by the platoon!

I suppose if you are churning out logorrhoea, or verbal diarrhoea, at 90mph and without fact-checking or working on good phrasing and use of language, yes. But one hopes that a text is something people actually WANT to read.

Shooting your mouth off and seeing the text fly-up on screen hardly sounds like the careful creation of readable and informative or entertaining text.

That's like saying I am a composer if I hit auto-play on a synthesizer and then just let the damn thing run on through various chord progressions for an hour!

Posted: Jun 4, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  9. AllUpHere

2,849 1,000
    I paid you a compliment and ended with a lighthearted joke. I don't know why I bothered.

As you were everyone.

10. webgeek

4,029 1,472
    If you believe writing blog posts and songs require the same creative energy and time, then you've bought into what some copywriter sold you at a premium.

Either that or someone is doing copy that can't touch type at 60, 80 or 100 wpm.

Looks like I'm undercharging and someday I'll think about price hikes. But for now, £35 is a rate I've paid, a rate I charge and a good value for money. Pay less, get less. Pay more, get more. Up to everyone where they want to be on the scale.

11. webgeek

4,029 1,472
    Sorry if I mistook what you were saying AUH. Last time someone 'had their eye on me', they came with handcuffs and thought I was Rodney King.

When you mention cheap crap and eye on me in the same sentence - well, I'm sure you can understand how it's received.

Oh well, the compliment was appreciated, cautiously :)

12. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Regular Free Member

287 50
    Posted: Jun 4, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019