looking for feedback on new start up business

Discussion in 'North East' started by nightpeach, Jan 14, 2018.

1. nightpeach

nightpeach UKBF Newcomer Free Member

My business will be a sales outsourcing company aimed at the smaller businesses who can not afford to employ a sales team but do need to access the skills or a professional and successful sales person when needed. My business will be in Blyth Northumberland.

I would be be grateful for any feedback.

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 By: nightpeach Member since: Oct 21, 2017
  2. Ray272

Ray272 UKBF Contributor Free Member

I like the idea a lot and it's not a new idea it's just camouflaged under different guises.

Sales agencies for toy distributors and the gift industry in the USA are heavily reliant on on outsourced reps. Happens here too. It can be done.

Different industries need different approaches IMO.

Example: my industry is very difficult to get on the phone and email is 99.5% the accepted communication.

So how would you bill clients? Hours/results/% of sales value

How would you appear to potential clients?

Operate with an independent email from your clients or operate within their email to appear in house?

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  3. JamesWW

JamesWW UKBF Contributor Free Member

It is an interesting concept, but speaking as a small business owner, it all depends on cost.

I know when I was younger I worked in a call centre in Stoke on Trent, where we worked for small businesses trying to get them trade and I remember pretending I worked for an Accountants in Wales and trying act like I knew what the local area looked like. Wish I had google earth back then.:)

How would you work out how to bill them?

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 By: JamesWW Member since: Dec 31, 2017
  4. barryo

barryo UKBF Regular Free Member

You'll actually have to sell into two markets at the same time: businesses looking for help to find sales agents and sales agents looking for businesses. Or are you looking to employ your own sales people and offer their services to businesses?

Either way, it's a tough ask.

Most sales people worth their salt will find their own suppliers and there are platforms such as agentbase and crunchbase that businesses can use to advertise cheaply for and connect with agents. Also, lots of freelance sales people use sites like people per hour to connect with clients.

In the US and Germany, agency selling is much more prevalent than here and is the accepted channel to market for most SME's and even lots of corporates (not just toy and gift industries).

If you're acting as a matchmaker between agents and clients, be careful that your contracts are tight. Once they start to work together, why would they need you any further?

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 By: barryo Member since: Sep 5, 2010