Looking for constructive criticism

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Zodge302, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Regular Free Member

230 39
    I wouldn't spend money on social media until you have some sales and bit more experience under your belt. Facebook advertising may well turn out to be effective for your kind of business but, unless you know who your target market is and what they are likely to buy, you may find yourself just chucking money away and getting nothing in return.

Instagram and twitter are fine since so long as you don't get too absorbed into it. They may be next to useless for getting sales but for getting yourself known worth a go - especially since you have exclusive imagery that is naturally shareable?

Sorry I can't come up with any ideas for instant success but don't be too downhearted, it will all come if you are persistent and patient.

Posted: Mar 8, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  2. Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito UKBF Contributor Free Member

37 5
    £1 per item? Is that after postage and packing? How long does it take you to do the actual artwork?

Work this backwards. Assuming the margin stays as you have calculated (and it normally decreases due to unforeseen costs), you would need to sell 500 per week to make £25k pre-tax. Would you be able to fulfil that amount of orders? That is 100 per working day, so say 10 per hour, 6 mins per order. Is that doable?

Posted: Mar 9, 2019 By: Guy Incognito Member since: Aug 2, 2016
  3. Zodge302

Zodge302 UKBF Newcomer Full Member

21 2
    Like I've said before, I'm only using the print on demand company temporarily as an experiment, as a way to see if this is something I can actually. X-months down the line, if I start to get more sales I will then ditch the print on demand company and buy in bulk and therefore the profit margin will be much higher. The amount of profit I am currently getting isn't an issue (I also work full time as a manager) but I need to know that I'm selling something that people are going to buy before I plough a load of money I don't have into it. I'm simply not in a financial position to make such a high risk move at present.

My problem isn't profit, my problem is getting traffic to my site and figuring out why they aren't buying.

Posted: Mar 9, 2019 By: Zodge302 Member since: Sep 3, 2013
  4. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

2,781 977
    You are going to need money however you look at it. Hundreds of thousands of people set up little sites just like yours thinking theirs will be different because they will get a social media following and other nonsense and magically start to grow. The only thing they seem not to try is actually treating it like a business and spending some money on it. You will either need money to learn how to market it yourself, or to pay someone to help you. If you hold back incase it fails, it's failed already.

Posted: Mar 9, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  5. TheWebDesignCompany

TheWebDesignCompany UKBF Regular Full Member

106 5
    not having access to see your website or your instagram account etc there is little we can do to help there.
    However do you have a link on each image on instagram to the page where it can be bought on your website? (The same applies to Facebook and Twitter)

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 By: TheWebDesignCompany Member since: Mar 11, 2019
  6. TheWebDesignCompany

TheWebDesignCompany UKBF Regular Full Member

106 5
    This is very sound advice, and is in fact a long term investment if you decide to spend money learning how to market your business yourself, as even if you don't stick with the current business the skills you have learned will help you with any business thereafter and potential save you a fortune.

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 By: TheWebDesignCompany Member since: Mar 11, 2019
  7. Zodge302

21 2
    This has moved over to the Members only forum area where web address details are shown

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 By: Zodge302 Member since: Sep 3, 2013
  8. Zodge302

21 2
    A bit of an update: Since Monday night, I have had 8 sales in total. Working with an 'celebrity / influencer' who I won't be naming, has helped massively with traffic to my site.

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 By: Zodge302 Member since: Sep 3, 2013
  9. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,561 265
    The days of easy e-commerce are gone.

You may if you stick with it make it work or you may not

From what you have said around the subject I think it would be kind of me to suggest that you pack it in and move back to what you also do and which you seem to be good at

But to keep your baby alive and in case it can be made to work try and find someone that you can hand it over to to run. Give them half of it and keep your fingers crossed.

Remember you are in a very competitive market and up against some serious players. So it is always going to be a hard slog. Even if working.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007