Looking for a shipping charge option...

Discussion in 'Wordpress Support' started by Davek0974, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Davek0974

Davek0974 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,540 308
    Tricky one this -

I sell sometimes bulky but generally heavy items, I'm currently using a weight-based shipping plugin which sort of works really well but only if customer just buys one item, which generally they do.

However if they buy two or more, the shipping charge fails because usually the weight part is ok but the option fails due to the physical size or the weight option fails due to the extra packaging weight needed if they order two.

What this means is that i am 99% safe if they order one product but if they order two of an item, I can pretty much guarantee I will lose badly on shipping.

Bumping up the weights does not work as this then messes up the bulk of the single item orders.

I have no idea really what this needs but do know it needs something as I use Royal Mail and Parcelforce almost exclusively and RM weight only goes to 2kg before a massive hike in prices happens, they need a 3kg option but thats not likely to happen. I have tried using MyHermes but customers complained so now thats only a customer option and so far nobody has selected it :)

Any ideas for shipping ???

Some sort of non-linear weight based option so 1x product = 1kg, 2x product = 2.2kg ????

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Posted: Oct 28, 2019 By: Davek0974 Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  2. crackerjackcommerce

crackerjackcommerce UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 6
    Hi, how do you populate your courier/shipping rules? Is it a spreadsheet type set up?

Do you use a woocommerce plugin? What is it called.

Royal Mail do have RM Tracked which is up to 5kg I believe: https://www.royalmail.com/business/shipping/uk-services/tracked-24-48

---

If you know what your average sale price is, average profit and average shipping cost then you can work out an average price and then keep it simple to customers:

Standard Delivery £3.95
    Express Delivery £7.95
    Free Delivery over £50.00

(or offer "free" shipping aka price includes p&p and then build in the shipping price per item level)

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 By: crackerjackcommerce Member since: Aug 1, 2019
  3. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

4,931 1,641
    How many consignments per night do you ship

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  4. Davek0974

2,540 308
    I use Woocommerce and a plugin for weight-based shipping.

The problem with RM is that they are great up to 2kg which is around £3.90 but then it jumps to 20kg which is around £14 - there is no in between option. When an order goes to say 2.1kg the cost jumps too far. So if the product is charged for one item at 900gm, two of them is not 1800gm due to the extra weight of packaging.

The customer sees one item P&P at £3.90 but two would show £14.00 - this causes, understandably a headache.

What i have done in the past is to send each item separately, so the cost is now £7.80 but the system charges only 2x 900gm or £3.90 - I lose out.

Thinking while i type, it sort of needs a fixed cost per item instead of weight maybe? I don't know if the current plugin can do that though, or even if standard woo without a plugin?? It might work though - this way one item = £3.90, two would = £7.80 which seems reasonable and all i lose is a bit of extra packaging ??

Ideal solution would of course be for RM to extend services to fill the gap between 2kg and 20kg ;)

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 By: Davek0974 Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  5. Davek0974

2,540 308
    Very few, unfortunately, which is why i'm not in a blind panic about it :) But also why every penny lost is important to me.

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 By: Davek0974 Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  6. DavidWH

DavidWH UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,600 304
    Look at a courier service. Fixed price upto xx kg, then xx pence per kg afterwards, per consignment not per box too.

We don't ship loads out, have an account with dpd local

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 By: DavidWH Member since: Feb 15, 2011
  7. Davek0974

2,540 308
    Thanks just looked and we do have a DPD drop-off very local, i'll have to contact them though as the quick-quote system does not match any prices on their price list and that list is pretty confusing :)

They also have an extreme surcharge for highlands and islands so that will need dealing with as well, but on the whole DPD looks like it might work.

Can you shed any light on pricing?

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 By: Davek0974 Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  8. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

4,931 1,641
    Dave to you actually get that many orders in the highlands ect I normally find that most senders don't
    Although they are part of DHL I would speak to UK mail

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  9. Davek0974

2,540 308
    No but there is such a big surcharge for DPD it would probably mean sending an order and making zero profit or even a loss, I won't do that.

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 By: Davek0974 Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  10. crackerjackcommerce

crackerjackcommerce UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 6
    DPD are one of the market leaders at the moment, they appear to be going from strength to strength.

As the plug in allows weight based pricing then try something like this:

0-1kg £2.99 (Royal Mail)
    1-2kg £3.99 (Royal Mail)
    2-5kg £6.99 (use courier i.e DPD or interparcel.com/parcel2go)
    5-15kg £8.99 (use courier i.e DPD or interparcel.com/parcel2go)
    15+ £9.99 (use courier i.e DPD or interparcel.com/parcel2go)

It is common for couriers to surcharge to Non Mainland (Highlands and Islands).

Either 1. absorb the cost and over a 1/3/6/12 month period work out exactly how many orders you have sent there and adjust accordingly (in my experience it will not be that many) or 2. add on a surcharge yourself in your terms and conditions/delivery info page etc.

Hope you get it sorted, I am sure you will.

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 By: crackerjackcommerce Member since: Aug 1, 2019
  11. Davek0974

2,540 308
    Pretty much spot-on there, I set it up for DPD today, their pricing is flat to 10kg but RM is lower below 2kg. DPD from 10kg to 20kg is +30p/kg IIRC

I think swallowing or averaging the Highlands and Islands is ok, i checked back over a year and qty is acceptable.

Thanks all for the tips.

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 By: Davek0974 Member since: Mar 7, 2008