Long term investment - commercial v residential property

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Maxwell83, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Maxwell83

Maxwell83 UKBF Regular Free Member

542 123
    I have just sold my residential BTL, and am exiting a business that has 2 residential HMO's (supported accommodation).

I want to re-invest in property probably next year, but I have lost my attraction to residential - perhaps a combination of the second house SDLT, the tax treatment of landlords mortgage interest and the general pain in the ass-iness of managing residential properties (especially the HMOs).

What are the pros and cons of investing in commercial property vs residential? What sort of level of investment is recommended for a novice to begin with?

I would probably put any commercial property in a pension - that being my main goal for the investment; I am not looking for income, just capital growth.

So stick with what I know (and don't love) or is commercial worth looking at?

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: Maxwell83 Member since: Aug 4, 2012
  2. WaveJumper

WaveJumper UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

564 98
    Commercial property held in a pension fund gets my vote

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  3. WaveJumper

WaveJumper UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

564 98
    If you stick commercial property held in pension fund in the search box up top you will find quite a few threads on this topic

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  4. TheoNe

TheoNe UKBF Regular Full Member

135 12
    I would agree that ownership of commercial property through a pension fund is a great idea. There are a lot of pros from tax benefits, capital growth, borrowings and the security provided by collective purchase.

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 12:51 PM By: TheoNe Member since: Jul 6, 2019