Lloyds Cardnet Charging Me For Reversal/Chargeback!!

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by gunner, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunner

gunner UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 1
    I own a fast food restaurant with home deliverys the main point.

Few months ago i got a letter from lloyds cardnet telling me someone used a stolen card to order and pay me so they took the money abck and charegd me.

Same thing happened today i am having to refund £50 today for a ccouple of payments made in early june.

I looked through my card receipts and found the address where the roder was delivered to.
    Went to the police station and they said we cannot do anything go to actionfraud and if they see it necessary then we will get involved.
    told them to shove it and went straight to the address where the food was delivered to and found it was empty(They told me they can arrest me for harrasment if they get called!!!).

i phoned cardnet asked them what was going on why am i not protected against this kind of thing they were very rude and also said you take these type of payments at your own risk so we cant do anything.

Is there anything i can do this time to not pay for it out of my own pocket?

Also are there any other merchants that protect us against this kiind of thing?
    If the cardholder is protected then why shouldnt we be aswell?
    I'm considering barclaycard had someone around few weeks ago said he will match whatever rates im getting from lloyds tsb.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    Posted: Sep 13, 2013 By: gunner Member since: Aug 13, 2012
  2. chp9

chp9 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 1
    Do you have Verified By Visa / Mastercard SecureCode activated? If yes, bank should take stolen card chargebacks on them. If no, you should activate Verified By Visa / Mastercard SecureCode or use merchant who offers this type of service.

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 By: chp9 Member since: Sep 13, 2013
  3. Sparx

Sparx UKBF Regular Free Member

492 112
    Was the transaction completed over the phone? If so then you would be in the same scenario with any other acquirer (Lloyds Cardnet, Streamline, Barclaycard, etc).

Customer Not Present (CNP) transactions are never 100% and always subject to a possible charge back.

The only 100% method is either Chip & PIN with a physical PDQ terminal, or if a customer pays on your website with 3D Secure passed (Verified by Visa or MasterCard SecureCode).

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 By: Sparx Member since: Sep 16, 2010
  4. profscooter

profscooter UKBF Newcomer Free Member

84 13
    Sadly this is a common approach all card providers seem to use, I've been stung like this before to the tune of a couple of hundred quid, with a previous provider. I now use Cardsave and have implemented all the available checks for cards, CVV and address match plus 3D secure as well, and - touch wood - all has been OK since. I see some orders coming through where the card has been declined on one or more of these grounds (often from some of the "dodgier" foreign countries), and thank my lucky stars I didn't post any goods out.

Posted: Sep 14, 2013 By: profscooter Member since: Jan 23, 2012
  5. LinkBright Media

LinkBright Media UKBF Regular Full Member

291 33
    Good for you!! But isn't it pathetic the police don't do anything. That's one thing that should be changed.

As Sparx says, Chip & PIN with a physical PDQ terminal, or website with Verified by Visa or MasterCard SecureCode is the only way to protect yourself in future. I think we've all learned the hard way. I've also lost hundreds of pounds worth of goods because of stolen cards because I didn't have the Verified by Visa/MasterCard SecureCode switched on on my site (an expensive oversight).

Posted: Sep 14, 2013 By: LinkBright Media Member since: May 15, 2010
  6. Andrew Jackson

Andrew Jackson UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    Just like to agree with all previous notes on Lloyds Cardnet.
    They are a disingenuous company.
    They continued to charge me £30 a month, for several months, on top of their £20 admin fee for failing to complete my 3D secure application, but...
    they ommitted to remind me it needed doing!

I reconcile bank accounts periodically and this didn't come to light for 3 months.
    They wern't bothered in the slightest.

They stopped my account on the website without any notification. The only way I learnt about it was when customers started ringing up to say their payments wouldn't go through.
    It took several hours of head scratching to find out why. We discovered they had simply cancelled the account without any notice. I asked them why and they didn't even know why!

We have moved to Cardsave online and Streamline. Lets hope for better times.

Avoid Lloyds Cardnet at all costs

Posted: Oct 15, 2013 By: Andrew Jackson Member since: Oct 15, 2013
  7. LMDServicesUK

LMDServicesUK Barking Mad - Home Boarding for Dogs Full Member - Verified Business

961 116
    Re the admin charge was this for not having 3D Secure or was it for PCI Inactivity (e.g. you did not complete your compliance registration ?) I have never heard of any MSP's charging their Merchants for not being 3D Secure registered before, as normally it is just a security switch in the payment gateway administration software.

I totally agree that you have been poorly served by CardNet, (not known for their communication skills..) but I suspect it was not because of your 3D Secure status.

If I am wrong I would like to learn more about your issues with them, as I have never come across this issue before.

Hope you get better support from Streamline, and make sure you get your PCI Compliance done with them as well, otherwise the eventual fines will hit £ 50 PCM..

Mark

Posted: Oct 15, 2013 By: LMDServicesUK Member since: Apr 18, 2013
  8. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,850 286
    Hi gunner, you don't say so, but it may be that you take card details over the phone.

You could insist that anyone paying you does so via the internet. All Nochex.com payments go through 3D Secure, and by this means you are taken out of the process for fraudulent transactions.

I'm sure we are not the only ones to do this, but it might of help to you.

Best of luck,
    - Peter

Posted: Oct 16, 2013 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
  9. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,104 1,702
    If you are taking payment over the phone then you enter the house number and postcode from the order into your terminal - it will then tell you whether you have a match or not with the registered cardholder's address - and you can then refuse to deliver food where these do not match the delivery address.

Posted: Oct 16, 2013 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  10. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,104 1,702
    Or ask for cash on delivery - which means the fraudsters will acquire their dinner elsewhere :)

Posted: Oct 16, 2013 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  11. Andrew Jackson

5 0
    Thanks for the reply LMDServicesUK 15/10/2013
    The issue was with my 3D secure status.
    Nontheless they were happy to fine and unwilling to explain why they were fining me. Highly disingenuous.

Posted: Oct 24, 2013 By: Andrew Jackson Member since: Oct 15, 2013
  12. LMDServicesUK

LMDServicesUK Barking Mad - Home Boarding for Dogs Full Member - Verified Business

961 116
    Andrew I have never heard of a merchant being fined for not having 3D Secure turned on.. Would it be disrespectful as to enquire as to whether you are intending to vote with your feet !
    And if so we would love to have a chat with you !
    Rgds

Mark

Posted: Oct 24, 2013 By: LMDServicesUK Member since: Apr 18, 2013
  13. Andrew Jackson

5 0
    I've already moved to Cardsave and am stuck between a rock and a hard place!
    I will certainly consider you next time, keep in touch.
    THe issue was with my not renewing my 3D secure status.

Posted: Oct 24, 2013 By: Andrew Jackson Member since: Oct 15, 2013
  14. LMDServicesUK

961 116
    Tx Andrew

Well I am always here if you need any further assistance or information, just PM me.

Rgds

Mark

Posted: Oct 25, 2013 By: LMDServicesUK Member since: Apr 18, 2013
  15. arcon5

arcon5 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,561 496
    Could also mean genuine diners go elsewhere :(.

Posted: Oct 25, 2013 By: arcon5 Member since: Sep 6, 2006
  16. arcon5

arcon5 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,561 496
    Actually thinking about it, I don't know any take away in my area that accepts card over the phone... Most stating card accepted on collection or you pay online, usually though through the likes of justeat.

Posted: Oct 25, 2013 By: arcon5 Member since: Sep 6, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.