legal advice needed

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by the merchant, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the merchant

the merchant UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Hi I am in the process of starting a new venture, it will consist of selling a type of alcohol from vending machines which will be located in clubs and busy bars. ID is required to enter these locations. does this mean that i personally dont need any licence to sell alcohol if the club has this anyway.
    steve

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 By: the merchant Member since: Jul 28, 2008
  2. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,104 1,702
    Is this venture in Scotland or elsewhere in the UK as different law applies?

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  3. khalid1

khalid1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

267 26
    Further, are you leasing the machines or are you selling them. If you are leasing them, you are responsible for stocking and vending the product, so YOU need to ensure the buyer is off the appropriate age.

If you are selling them, you are selling equipment to the bars/clubs, so not your responsibility.

I would personally lease the machine but ensure the bar/club stocks it - so you are selling equipment and nothing more.

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 By: khalid1 Member since: Apr 16, 2007
  4. the merchant

3 0
    The venture is in scotland! the idea is that that i own the machines bought through a vending manufacturer and they are designed for the purpose i need them for! they will then be put into the clubs and bars and a cut of profits will then be given to them for letting the machines be on their premises. it will be worked out who stocks the machines depending on what arrangement we come to.
    there is no way i can be resposnsible for checking age, people enter these locations but need ID to get into them. would a sticker on the machine not suffice?

Posted: Aug 4, 2008 By: the merchant Member since: Jul 28, 2008
  5. Vending Siting Services

Vending Siting Services UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,400 694
    If I were the owner of the vending machines, I would not want anyone else to have access to the monies. Keep the keys to yourself, stock the vendors yourself and count the money in front of the site owner and give them their commission before you leave.

I have heard of many cases where a key is left with the site owner and they have helped themselves to the stock and cash .... you can never trust those that work in the establishment who may get access to YOUR keys and YOUR stock.

Regards.

Barbara

Posted: Aug 4, 2008 By: Vending Siting Services Member since: Jan 26, 2007
  6. i234i

i234i UKBF Ace Free Member

2,285 243
    Im not sure many clubs would be up to selling drinks in Vending Machines really? They would surely make more money by sending customers to there bar where anyone under age can be ID'd. I know someone who works in Vending and have worked in many clubs and im not sure the clubs would want to put any underage bad press onto them.

Just a thought.

Posted: Aug 5, 2008 By: i234i Member since: Jul 16, 2007
  7. the merchant

3 0
    thank for the thought however every establishment that the machines would be placed in ie clubs/bars have bouncers on the door who ID anyone they feel looks under 21! The "drinks" are infact shots of alcohol, like a vodka shot! it isnt going to be bottles of beer etc and the method of delivering the shot to the customer is quicker than having to wait at a bar behind a mass of people waiting to be served. it is an alternative means of selling a product and would help free space at the bar making them less crowded of people who are just there to buy shots. it will also offer a convenience factor and because of this people who mite not have wanted to wait and buy a shot will buy one and then the club will be making money where they wouldnt have before.

Posted: Aug 6, 2008 By: the merchant Member since: Jul 28, 2008
  8. strawb

strawb UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 2
    I like the idea, hope it works well for you

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 By: strawb Member since: Aug 7, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.