LED Lighting

Discussion in 'Green Business' started by Rhyl Lightworks, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhyl Lightworks

Rhyl Lightworks UKBF Ace Free Member

2,536 425
    Many people have heard of LED lighting and want bright light at a minute running cost, at a price comparable to other forms of lighting. This is just not available. However things are improving, and now an outside LED floodlight is available (in both a PIR and non-PIR version) which uses only 3W but gives a quite respectable amount of light. It is reasonably priced, and has a 5 year guarantee.

Barrie

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 By: Rhyl Lightworks Member since: Aug 16, 2006
  2. PGWake

PGWake UKBF Newcomer Free Member

51 16
    I just bought LED lights for gate post markers and decking edge markers, not had them installed yet but have changed all my flood lights for the smaller G9 type Halogen lamps at only 75w each rather than 200w.

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 By: PGWake Member since: Dec 4, 2008
  3. neildigital

neildigital UKBF Ace Full Member

2,128 291
    Is this correct, you can buy lots of LED light bulbs, which claim to give plenty of light at a greatly reduced running cost?

Neil

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 By: neildigital Member since: Apr 30, 2007
  4. MH1

MH1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,585 488
    I also sell LED lighthing and just rewired my mother's exterior lighthing on her bungalow with LED fittings, very pleased with the light increase, much better than low energy flourescents IMO, and much cheaper to run.

The major benefit many people fail to realise is the LED lamps will probably never need replacing in the next 10-20 years, so very good for use in awkward palces, many firms get charged £50-100 just to change a bulb in certain areas due to labour costs.

The LED fittings I installed should last 20 years no problem.

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 By: MH1 Member since: Dec 27, 2007
  5. Rhyl Lightworks

2,536 425
    Yes, but you will pay a lot of money for the same kind of light levels you are used to with either (old fashioned) incandescent lighting, or (now the norm) fluorescent lighting. For example, I have just priced a powerful LED spotlight at £1100. At the present state of the art, LED lighting is very economic where lowish light levels are needed (e.g. emergency lighting, auxiliary lighting combined with cfls, incandescent or halogens, where you can use them alone sometimes - getting up in the middle of the night in bathrooms, etc. - but you have the extra lighting when you need it). They are excellent for mood or effect lighting, coloured bulbs being the same price as white ones, and colour changing bulbs not much more. The are used to great effect outside for showing up the edges of paths, making decking more interesting, or just 'spiking' in soft ground. Inside they can be used in kitchen plinths, putting down the sides of stairs, in ceilings, etc. all to great effect. As has been said, the running costs are very low, and in theory the lamps themselves should last for ever, although you should guard against water getting into the fittings.

Big companies seem to use expensive ones in things like shopping centres, prestige offices, etc., particularly where cost of replacing bulbs is high. In the average home or small business, I think there is some way to go before they replace compact fluorescents, but this will eventually come.

As in many areas, the main thrust of development seems to be coming from China. (In other areas I am very impressed with Prolite lamps and GP batteries, both of which are Chinese.)

Barrie

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 By: Rhyl Lightworks Member since: Aug 16, 2006
  6. Kernelpower_Ltd

Kernelpower_Ltd UKBF Newcomer Free Member

279 25
    Posted: Dec 7, 2008 By: Kernelpower_Ltd Member since: Mar 2, 2008
  7. bloked

bloked UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 1
    A lot of home use florescent light contain poisonous mercury. But the dumb USA lawmakers want to force everyone in the USA to use them. Drop a few and poison your home. LED is way to go for home use and new lighting efficiency.

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 By: bloked Member since: Dec 7, 2008
  8. Rhyl Lightworks

2,536 425

This has been discussed before and i would re-iterate that (a) the amount of mercury is minute and only escapes into the environment if the tube is broken (b) fluorescent tubes containing mercury have been used mainly in shops and offices for many years and nobody complained about them.

Barrie

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 By: Rhyl Lightworks Member since: Aug 16, 2006
  9. limotek

limotek UKBF Newcomer Free Member

83 3
    Posted: Dec 8, 2008 By: limotek Member since: Jul 3, 2008
  10. limotek

limotek UKBF Newcomer Free Member

83 3
    I've used LED lights on my christmas tree!! lokks really cool!!

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 By: limotek Member since: Jul 3, 2008
  11. Kernelpower_Ltd

Kernelpower_Ltd UKBF Newcomer Free Member

279 25
    i am in the process of growing all different kind of veg and once the seeds have germinated i am transferring the small stuff into racks with the lights on 12 hours a day , then after a month you can jack it up to 18hrs a day and hey presto . these lights arent any good for growing weed b.t.w , you really need hid lighting for that , but you could use the led lights in the early growth phase and then switch to HID ( mod please delete thread if unsavoury / against the rules )

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 By: Kernelpower_Ltd Member since: Mar 2, 2008
  12. Delta-SI

Delta-SI UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,498 1,125
    It's lighting, done with LEDs. It causes light much like the flaming you are about to receive.

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 By: Delta-SI Member since: Nov 19, 2008
  13. Go Eco

Go Eco UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 0
    Hi, you can purchase GU10 LED bulbs for spotlights, which use no more than 3W of power compared to the halogen bulb of 50W. Whilst these may cost £10/£12 each compared to a halogen one of £2, the reduction in energy consumed means they will pay for themselves after about a year. Also you will find the LED bulbs will last 20 times longer than halogen - one LED is usually for a lifetime (or so the manufacturers claim). They are however at the moment not as bright and are only really suitable for spotlights that are used for general lighting like stairs & hallways.

This is the future of lighting :rolleyes:

Cheers
    Nige

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 By: Go Eco Member since: Dec 18, 2008
  14. Rhyl Lightworks

2,536 425
    GU10s are mainly for downlighters, and LED GU10s are about half this price, but not very bright (at present). CFL GU10s are this kind of price but 35W equivalent. I have 9 of the cool white ones in my kitchen and prefer them to the original halogens which are yellowish in colour (a colour temp. of 2700K as opposed to 4000K cool white).

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 By: Rhyl Lightworks Member since: Aug 16, 2006
  15. Go Eco

Go Eco UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 0
    CFL GU10's don't save you no where near as much money as LED ones but it is a start in the right direction. The other thing I forgot to mention is that halogen lights get very hot whereas LED ones don't.

Thnaks
    Nige

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 By: Go Eco Member since: Dec 18, 2008
  16. LEDemon

LEDemon UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    LED Lighting is the future :) I import LED from China into UK, and all those claims that LED bulb are not as bright as normal ones are just not true.. It depends how many LED's you have in one bulb! If you have just 8 of them, tharn of course, it's not going to be very bright, but you can get 48 and more in one bulb - and the brightness is as good as if you would use traditional bulb. And it's enviroment friendly and saves huge amount of electricity. LED Tubes are also available now - 6x longer lifetime, great energy savings, and it doesn't require starters etc, as traditional tubes. LED Neons and Strips - this is future of sign making, interior decoration. If you fit it under the wall, and if you use RGB LED tape with a controller, you can literally controll the color of the wall - and this is wicked :) Technology is getting better and cheaper, and I think that old fashion bulbs are not going to be missed :)

Please visit my www if you are interested in LED products (redelectron.co.uk), I also have some tapes on ebay now:

(cgi.ebay.co.uk/5m-Flexible-LED-Strip-Tape-White-other-colours-UK_W0QQitemZ290301931776QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM?hash=item290301931776&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

Posted: Mar 12, 2009 By: LEDemon Member since: Mar 12, 2009
  17. LEDemon

LEDemon UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi,

LED technology is future :)

I import LED products from China into UK, and I just want to clarify this infamous "brightness" issue. It depends how many LED's there actually is in the LED bulb. If it's 8, than it's not going to be as bright as normal bulb, but there are bulbs with 48 LED's and more! And they are as bright as traditional bulbs. Besides, now there are LED Tubes available, which obviously are enviroment friendly and they save you huge amount of electricity, and they live about 5, 6x longer (imagine production hall fitted with LED tubes instead of traditional ones - HUGE SAVINGS!) Decoration? LED tapes/strips, and LED neons are now used in sign making, by interior design companies. Using RGB LED tape, you can literally controll the colour of your wall (if you will fit it by the bottom of the wall)

Please visit my website, I can import most of LED products. (redelectron.co.uk)

I currently have an auction on ebay, with some LED tapes:
    (cgi.ebay.co.uk/5m-Flexible-LED-Strip-Tape-White-other-colours-
    UK_W0QQitemZ290301931776QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM?hash=item290301931776&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

Posted: Mar 12, 2009 By: LEDemon Member since: Mar 12, 2009
  18. katrina601

katrina601 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Come on!! we also produce spotlight ,we are the manufactory in China and specialize in this field, if you have time you can have a look at our website...

Posted: Jan 5, 2011 By: katrina601 Member since: Jan 3, 2011
  19. katrina601

katrina601 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Yes! you are professional in this field!!you are right!.as you said , the brightness is depend one the LED bulbs, of course the Lumen(LM) is very important, since every chips have its LM, the LM is different the brightness also will change.just like the strip,there are 3528 and 5050 ,two type of chips.
    In 3528, you can know,some of them is 5 LM per chip(one bulb in a chip), this is the normal brightness ,if you want high brightness ,you need to choose 6LM per chip or more than 6...
    The same way for 5050,some of them is 15LM per chip(three bulbs in a chip) can be RGB,but this not the brightest one,if you prefer high brightness ,you should choose the 18LM or more than 18LM...
    By the way ,I am Katrina from China , I also work in LED field, Glad to know you ,hope can exchange our experience here , and lear more from you.

Posted: Jan 5, 2011 By: katrina601 Member since: Jan 3, 2011
  20. Anise U

Anise U UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 0
    Hi,everyone.Glad to join this green group.I'm Anise from China.My company is manufacturer of LED lighting products.Our products are with fairly high cost performance.And they are attractive in the strengths as follows:

1.Luminous efficiency for the whole lamp is up to 100LM/W,amazing!World Top Level!And in very good price.owing to our most advanced technology--MCOB=Multiple Chips&Cups on Board!

2.Excellent heat radiation.

Our company set up strategic cooperation with Chinese Academy of Science.Therefore,our technology is outstanding.

Anyone who intend to import LED lighting products can contact me.Our products will exceed your expectation.Believe it.

Posted: Jan 5, 2011 By: Anise U Member since: Jan 5, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.