leased lines, advice needed

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by 10032012, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 10032012

10032012 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,965 324
    I am aware of Ofcom stepping in so BT charges less to resellers for leased lines but I got a quote from a few providers a couple of years back, and got a quote recently from one provider (due to moving into new office) which seems really affordable.

Do you have a leased line? If so what speed is it and how much you pay per month? I appreciate it does depend on location and competition. looking for a rough ballpoint figure.

Basically, I got quoted £198 for 20MB and £274 for 100MB. This is based on a 3 year contract without set up costs. For me this sounds really cheap, especially without a setup charge. When compared to business broadband... I think its worth paying the extra... as I require it for internet, telephones (VoIP) and basic site-2-site networking. The same upload and download is a bonus.

Or is £3288 per year actually expensive for a 100MB leased line?

Posted: Sep 11, 2013 By: 10032012 Member since: Mar 10, 2012
  2. Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd

Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd Quest - Enabling Businesses Through Creative IT Full Member - Verified Business

255 47
    As you've said, it varies massively depending on location. We've given quotes around the £300 mark, all the way up to £1500.

£274 for a 100 Mb/s leased line is amazing though; mind if we ask who that's with?

Cheers

Ryan

Posted: Sep 11, 2013 By: Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd Member since: Mar 30, 2012
  3. lynxus

lynxus UKBF Ace Full Member

1,327 318
    As for prices, I dont know what the going rate is today ( and as you said, it does vary based on your tail distance )

I do know however that you would be making the best choice by going for a LL rather than DSL.
    Working for a business ISP , I can tell you now that your service will be 1000% better. Not just for fault resolution ( normally 4 hours ) but as you said, 100Mb up and down plus your contention ratio is pretty much non existent.

You buy 100mb . You get 100mb. if not then the ISP will ( or at least should ) fix it. unlike business broadband that is pretty much best effort.

I would say that the priced you have been quoted do certainly seem good compared to the £1000's that I remember only a few years back.

Posted: Sep 11, 2013 By: lynxus Member since: Jul 5, 2011
  4. Nomis Connections

Nomis Connections UKBF Contributor Free Member

84 15
    Hi,

Yep as you've said Leased Line pricing is influenced quite a bit by location so giving a ball-park figure is quite difficult.

If you're looking for further info to see if that price is competitive we'd be happy to compare.

Posted: Sep 11, 2013 By: Nomis Connections Member since: Dec 21, 2011
  5. NetwiseHosting

NetwiseHosting UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

621 136
    Hi there,

I would guess this service, even if not directly with them, is provided over the Virgin Media Business network as they are pushing some truly outstanding deals at certain POP's in the UK.

In short, as long as the company if it is a reseller is reputable then that is a decent price indeed - is that wires only do you know or does it include a managed Cisco router or similar?

Regarding contention ratio, very rarely do you find an LL which isn't 1:1 and yes it will be fully synchronous (same full 100Mbps upload and download).

Do you mind me asking where abouts in the UK you are having this service delivered to?
    All the best,

Matthew

Posted: Sep 11, 2013 By: NetwiseHosting Member since: Jun 16, 2009
  6. itsupport

itsupport UKBF Newcomer Free Member

18 1

That is an extremely good price, find that hard to believe. But be aware of BT ECC (excess construction costs) not included in the setup cost by your ISP. Openreach will come out (If BTW, IF Virgin, I don't know) and do a site survey, if there is no fibre into your premises/industrial park then they will quote you ECC's which can run into £1000's if it means digging up the road. You will be quoted ECC's (if any) and you can still walk away at that point.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    Posted: Sep 12, 2013 By: itsupport Member since: Sep 20, 2011
  7. it-comms

it-comms UKBF Regular Full Member

129 24
    When we had our leased line installed via BTNET we was told free install and site servey.

However watch out as the free site servey only applies if you don't complete the order.

We got charged £350 for site servey and £900 ECC fees.

we pay £428.00 for 10MB fibre for an extra £200 per month we can upgrade to 100Mb if required.

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 By: it-comms Member since: Jul 19, 2011
  8. ccsleedsltd

ccsleedsltd UKBF Contributor Free Member

85 28
    FWIW, the 20Mb price sounds like it might be EFM rather than fibre, and I'm struggling to comprehend the 100Mb pricing at all. Even if the provider had a local PoP, if they were using a BTOR tail, they can only barely get the tail for that price, and that is without backhaul to their core, actual transit, support, install costs etc etc.

I did wonder if these prices were within a managed business centre or similar, as of course dividing up a much larger line and running internal/local cabling only would make them far more plausible.

I honestly think the 100Mb/s price is pie in the sky!

Posted: Sep 14, 2013 By: ccsleedsltd Member since: Oct 31, 2010
  9. stugster

stugster UKBF Legend Full Member

9,346 2,078
    Just another one to add here. We've got the numbers etc. and we couldn't even come close to that using Virgin and a local PoP in Edinburgh. We'd be looking at closer to £450 a month.

Posted: Sep 18, 2013 By: stugster Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  10. 10032012

10032012 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,965 324
    Hi all,

I got back the 30 day binding-quote today - seems the price has jumped to £749 for wires only. No idea why they misquoted me initially.

I am still looking around for a leased line provider, even if it costs more expensive (than the new quote figure) out of principle... No idea why they would quote a price and when you ring up to sign up... it triples.

This said I am not too disappointed as my ballpoint figure in mind was around £1000/month for 100mbs, with cheaper being better, but this was clearly too cheap.

As it happens I am about half a mile away from the exchange.

Posted: Sep 20, 2013 By: 10032012 Member since: Mar 10, 2012
  11. ccsleedsltd

ccsleedsltd UKBF Contributor Free Member

85 28
    Oh my - that is a suspect business practise to say the least, unless a genuine mistake of course.

We would be delighted to put our offer on the table if you cared to drop some address details over.

Cheers, Pete

Posted: Sep 20, 2013 By: ccsleedsltd Member since: Oct 31, 2010
  12. Nomis Connections

84 15
    We'd also be happy to help and look at this - would you be able to PM me your details so we can have a bit more of a chat?

Matt

Posted: Sep 23, 2013 By: Nomis Connections Member since: Dec 21, 2011
  13. Elsmi

Elsmi UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I am really happy with a connection we have recently had in place - working fabulously!

Not sure If I can mention company names ( just joined the forum) but happy to advise anyone by a private message unless I learn differently after going through the rules on here.

We have a symmetrical, un-contended business leased line - very affordable through a company which does not price dependent on area - they are independent from the usual carriers and are not a reseller of those carrier services which I found to be very attractive after previous experience with the typical ISP's. Our leased line was delivered within a week, YES a week and install costs were fixed before the survey was done the previous week so no nasty charges. We have recommended these guys to 3 other neighbouring businesses as fibre is expensive in our area, 2 have signed up, 1 is awaiting contract end - always good to help out.

Very happy

Posted: Nov 8, 2013 By: Elsmi Member since: Nov 8, 2013
  14. George_LLC

George_LLC UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi,

My name is George (the leased lion); a simple gimmick for the exclusive purpose of raising awareness for Leased Line Comparison. We provide free, no obligation price comparisons for all the major ISPs in the UK on such services as leased lines, EFMs, voice, data backup and cloud. So don't hesitate to be quoted.

Thanks,

George

Posted: Feb 18, 2014 By: George_LLC Member since: Feb 18, 2014
  15. Scott P

Scott P UKBF Newcomer Free Member

61 2
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, can anyone help with a quote on a leased line in postcode area S72 7BF?

If we can get a few options on speed that would be great.

It is a new industrial site that has not been started so it would not need to be dug up to lay a cable. I believe there is a BT manhole right outside the boundary.

The business next door has also expressed interest in having one at the right price.

Thanks

Posted: Mar 21, 2014 By: Scott P Member since: Jul 13, 2010
  16. Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd

Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd Quest - Enabling Businesses Through Creative IT Full Member - Verified Business

255 47
    Hi @Scott P

I've sent you a leased line quote; check your PMs.

Any questions let me know.

Cheers,

Ryan

Posted: Mar 24, 2014 By: Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd Member since: Mar 30, 2012
  17. Nomis Connections

84 15
    Hi Scott P. Happy to provide a quote for you; do you have an email address that we could send it to?

Please feel free to PM me with it, and don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any further questions.

Best,

Matt

Posted: Mar 24, 2014 By: Nomis Connections Member since: Dec 21, 2011
  18. Chris Routledge

Chris Routledge UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

120 18
    Hi Scott P,

I've sent you a couple of quotes, check your PMs

Feel free to PM or call if you have any questions,

Regards
    Chris

Posted: Mar 24, 2014 By: Chris Routledge Member since: Nov 1, 2013
  19. Scott P

Scott P UKBF Newcomer Free Member

61 2
    Thanks for the PMs and replies guys. I will sort some replies now

Cheers

Posted: Mar 24, 2014 By: Scott P Member since: Jul 13, 2010
  20. dpcatkins1983

dpcatkins1983 UKBF Contributor Free Member

73 3
    Scott do I have time to send a quote over for leased lines or is it too late?

Posted: Mar 24, 2014 By: dpcatkins1983 Member since: Mar 24, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.