Laptop for personal and business use

jake_mike

Free Member
Nov 16, 2017
Hi guys,

I am planning to purchase a laptop for personal and business use (50/50).

I understand that I can reclaim 50% of the VAT paid and 50% of the net value should be added to the capital asset pool from which I can deduct 18% every tax year?

What if I decide to upgrade the laptop after 1-2 years and sell the old one?

1. Do I need to pay 100% VAT when I sell it?
2. Do 50% of the net sale price needs to go back to the capital asset pool?
3. What about the value difference as I assume the laptop is going to lose more than 18% in value within one year.

Thank you in advance.

Scalloway

Free Member
Jun 6, 2010
Shetland Islands

Yes

Yes

3. What about the value difference as I assume the laptop is going to lose more than 18% in value within one year.

You can put the laptop into its own pool so you can claim a balancing allowance on disposal.

https://www.gov.uk/work-out-capital-allowances/rates-and-pools

Upvote 0
I am not going to lie, here.

I would be chucking this on the books and not doing the faffing about. I am sure that even in the exalted world of righteousness that is the tax office Zachias the tax collector has been know to sneak onto Facegram in their lunch break.

Upvote 0

MyAccountantOnline

Legacy Full Member
Sep 24, 2008
UK
www.myaccountantonline.co.uk
Hi guys,

I am planning to purchase a laptop for personal and business use (50/50).

I understand that I can reclaim 50% of the VAT paid and 50% of the net value should be added to the capital asset pool from which I can deduct 18% every tax year?

What if I decide to upgrade the laptop after 1-2 years and sell the old one?

Thank you in advance.

Are you trading as a sole trader or via a limited company?

Upvote 0
We all spend too much time on these machines. Why would you be using any technology for personal use ?

There is your answer :)

This is the correct answer, actually, and the only answer. Shut the office door with the computer stuff behind it.

Enjoy the evening speaking to your wife/husband/fiance/houseplants. Delete as applicable.

Upvote 0

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu