General Business Forum Brought to you by Square

Landlord wants me out

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by mcsean, Feb 8, 2018.

1. mcsean

mcsean UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    I have been renting for about two years in the same place, always paid my rent on time etc.

In December, my landlord gave me notice that he wanted to rent the entire floor to a new tenant and I would need to move. Basically he would get a lot more money renting the entire floor which was mostly vacant and he decided to do the renovations, which included demolishing my corner office!

This was fine but a bit awkward. I have to admit I was a bit peeved as I only got a months notice. Anyway, I checked with him to see if there was anywhere else in building I could move and he came up with another area for me which I moved into on Saturday 20th January. My office has since been demolished.

Just today, he decided that while the builders are at it, they should remove the ceiling from the area in which I am in an I would need to vacate the premises next week. This puts me in a really bad position as on the back of moving into the new area I have committed to completing work by the end of March.

I've always got on well with the landlord but I think he is really taking advantage of me now and suiting himself. Is there anyway I can push back against this behavior or is it better to just move on?

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 By: mcsean Member since: Feb 8, 2018
  2. XombiCreative

XombiCreative UKBF Contributor Free Member

43 8
    Did you sign a tenancy agreement? If you haven't there is not a lot you can do, other than talking to him and coming up with some kind of mutual agreement. A weeks notice is not on though at all.

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 By: XombiCreative Member since: Dec 20, 2017
  3. mcsean

mcsean UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi XombiCreative,

I signed a lease but it expired last year and I didn't bother seeking a renewal. Basically, I've been a model tenant but he's found a way to get more money.

It's not even a weeks notice. He wants me out next Monday. I actually can't believe it's happening, he'd agreed to put me up in the other area until end of March but it doesn't suit him anymore now that he's got bigger plans.

As I said, it wouldn't matter to me except I agreed to complete work for a customer and that customer has a serious legal team, so if I don't deliver and it messes up their production, if they went after me, I could be bankrupted.

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 By: mcsean Member since: Feb 8, 2018
  4. DavidWH

DavidWH UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,063 177
    For the life of me I can't remember the company name at the mo... but.

A customer of ours, was in a similar position.

They rented a shop for years, and the landlord wanted them to sign a lease, making them responsible for ALL repairs. Having rented the shop with a previous company, they knew the roof was leaking, and refused to sign a lease until it was fixed.

The roof would never got fixed, and they paid their rent, without a lease. Years went by. The roof got worse, and our customer stopped paying their rent until it was fixed.

The landlord served them with 1months notice.

Speaking to the solicitor who's name I forget, it became aparant that they needed to give more notice.

Twice they got the notice period extended, giving time to move.

The landlord had Subway lined up for the shop, paying more rent.

In this case, the landlord tried to take our customer to court, but they folded the company as soon as the claim form arrived, and cost them a small fortune in legal costs.

See if theres a local property law expert, and give them a call.

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 By: DavidWH Member since: Feb 15, 2011
  5. Digimem

Digimem UKBF Contributor Free Member

89 3
    out of curiosity, what would a sufficient notice period be for a tenant who is behind on the rent?

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 By: Digimem Member since: Apr 20, 2017
  6. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,665 724
    Get some legal advice.

If you had a lease which expired last year and which neither you or the landlord bothered to renew, my understanding (I might be wrong) is that the previous lease details are still in effect.

This will depend on the details of the lease, for example, did it have a clause saying you must vacate within a period of time? or was it outside of the Landlord & Tenant Act 1954.

It will also depend on any correspondence you have had and agreed with the landlord since the expiry date of the lease, as well as paying all rents and fees on time.

Leases are complex and you must get legal advice, ideally the solicitors you used to agree the original lease.

Good luck.

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  7. DavidWH

DavidWH UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,063 177
    Not sure, and I can't remember what they managed to get, but know they had it extended at least twice.

That was my understanding too regarding the lease, that the terms apply.

Speak to a legal beagle.

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: DavidWH Member since: Feb 15, 2011
  8. Maz

Maz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

21 2
    Don’t waist your money nor the time ...
    Look at the bright side as you could potentially find cheaper unit or even better location altogether rather having your mind engaged with landlord unfair notice
    The fact you need to finish the job is fairly obvious , but my suggestion would be to speak to your contract and offer them something to deliver the product bit later
    Surly if they came to you they must like what you do so it don’t matter if they Waite longer

Good luck

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: Maz Member since: Feb 1, 2018