General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Landline costs for diverting calls to mobile and usage

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Alex_m, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Alex_m

Alex_m UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi

I have found a business that offers the purchase of a landline number to then divert to a chosen mobile with additional services like out of business hours responses, multi number divert and so on:

(sorry can't post a link yet, but business name below)

Airlandline

I have signed up to their service but before my plan begins I am interested to know how they offer £9.99/month for all costs - maintenance, service, usage. I am interested in the usage part. They assure that all costs are static, but how would they really be confident with their pricing if my usage was very high in a particular month. As a small looking company (and i don't know much about the telecoms world), are they taking a slight risk essentially being charged say 1p/minute usage from their source provider of the local area code phone numbers, and expecting the usage to not be too high that it goes over the £9.99 a month? Are they expecting that with their portfolio of clients, some will have low usage and some have higher, they are balancing out their costs between the two, i.e. using the low usage customer's savings to cover the cost of the high usage customers expenses? I can appreciate as a phone divert service, my personal mobile would rack up normal monthly expenses with my provider regardless, but as the middle men are Air landline taking that chance with their bills from their provider of the local numbers they buy to be used as the diversion?

I don't want to run into issues with them.

Looking forward to responses.

Alex

Posted: Sep 11, 2020 By: Alex_m Member since: Sep 11, 2020
  2. wayzgoose

wayzgoose UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

852 129
    I use exactly the same thing, different company. I think it's 2000 free calls a month. Mine costs £4.99 a month and I'm not bothered whatsoever about how the telecoms company are making money !

Posted: Sep 11, 2020 By: wayzgoose Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  3. CHUKTC

CHUKTC UKBF Regular Free Member

172 29
    As you have already signed up this may be too late but I would check who owns the landline number - you or the provider and if you leave them what rights you have to take the number with you. May not be an issue now but as you grow and build your business your number might become valuable to you and if you cant take it with you should you wish to change supplier that can be a huge headache.

Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 10:40 AM By: CHUKTC Member since: Jan 2, 2019
  4. Alex_m

Alex_m UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi CHUKTC - - I traced the number I purchased from Airlandline back to a company called Tamartellecommunications, a UK based company who provide the phone numbers + all 'flows' (multi number divert, out of business hours responses, voicemail to email etc) + UNLIMITED calling usage for £9.99/month - the same that AirLandline charge per month for their service. So if AirLandline are essentially acting as the middle man, 'drop servicing' you could call it, how are they making any profit if they are charging the same monthly fee as their source provider of UK phone numbers?

Stumped!

Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 2:25 PM By: Alex_m Member since: Sep 11, 2020
  5. wayzgoose

wayzgoose UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

852 129
    We're with Tamar at £4.99 a month.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 1:54 PM By: wayzgoose Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  6. CHUKTC

CHUKTC UKBF Regular Free Member

172 29
    Hi Alex
    They make profit is suspect from being able to bulk buy at discounted rates and that gives them their margin.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 10:19 AM By: CHUKTC Member since: Jan 2, 2019