Know anything about membership sites

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by StartUp, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StartUp

StartUp UKBF Newcomer Free Member

154 0
    Do any of you IT stars know about creating a membership website?

How easy is it?

Is it easier to use software or just add scripts etc?

All I want is a password protected member area, but where the members pay a subscription to join, I have all shopping cart etc to handle the payment side.

Thanks

Julia

Posted: Nov 4, 2004 By: StartUp Member since: Nov 20, 2003
  2. gary

gary UKBF Newcomer Free Member

807 3
    Hi Julia

There are a number of ways of doing this, depending on how many members you expect to join.

1) Only a few new members per week:

You could do this fairly manually without too much trouble. Have an order form on the site where the member can sign up and pay. Once you receive payment, you add their name to a list of those allowed to access the password protected area. This can be set up quite easily using a simple script that adds to an encrypted username and password file every time you add a new user.

2) Lots of new members:

Install a membership management script/software. This will cost up to £100 for the software and maybe the same again to install, but once it's done you could probably even get the payments automated so that new members are automatically added as members if their payment goes through.

Let me know if you need any more info or help with this.

Gary

Posted: Nov 4, 2004 By: gary Member since: Feb 9, 2003
  3. Toon

Toon UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

871 10
    I currently have just set up a VIP members but as yet have no members (only went live yesterday) and what I've done is use oscommerce to allow people to log in, look at previous orders and look at their current order status. I took out everything I didn't need from oscommerce and have simply left the login option on there.
    Depends what you need the secure part for but that does the job for me.

Posted: Nov 4, 2004 By: Toon Member since: Jul 17, 2004
  4. easytrade

easytrade UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    I would definitely recommend using amemebrpro.

The script can do literally anything in terms of a membership based site. You can even accept payments through this script and set-up affiliates.

I have used the script on numerous sites and it works perfectly for me. The various pages are template driven so you can change the look and feel very easily.

You can also set-up membership durations, different products and a lot more. Please visit their site for further information. http://www.cgi-central.net

Hope this helps.

Posted: Nov 15, 2004 By: easytrade Member since: Nov 15, 2004
  5. StartUp

StartUp UKBF Newcomer Free Member

154 0
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I will investigate all options.

I want something I can install myself ideally.

Watch this space I'll let you know when have a live site ;-)

Posted: Nov 15, 2004 By: StartUp Member since: Nov 20, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.