Keyword Research Tools

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by nickie2310, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickie2310

nickie2310 UKBF Newcomer

1 1
    Hi all,

I've been out of the SEO game for many years now and need some major refreshing on the changes that have occurred while I've been hard at work doing other things. I've recently opened a business and now have the bones of a website complete, albeit Shopify (I don't need anything as sophistiated as a CMS just yet and it was easy and quick). My aim is to drive those looking for wholesale products to my website. Anyhow, today is the first chance I've had to look into the SEO side of things and I'm a bit stumped. The last time I looked (years ago), you could use a free Google Keyword Tool. It would appear from today's search however that it's now an Adwords Tool. Can this be used in the same way? Does it return the same information as the old tool? Are there other free tools that people use for keyword research these days? Many thanks in advance for your replies and help, they're much appreciated! :)

Posted: Jul 24, 2017 By: nickie2310 Member since: Jul 24, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Ventraclothes

Ventraclothes UKBF Newcomer

7 2
    Yeah Google Keyword Planner is really wonderful to select search volume and long tail keywords to increase your website traffic.

Posted: Jul 24, 2017 By: Ventraclothes Member since: May 8, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. webgeek

webgeek UKBF Legend

4,042 1,476
    The search volumes with the keyword tool from google are like 100 - 1,000. You might as well lick your finger and stick it in the air and let the breeze tell you how much the search volume is...

I recently tried the tool from Mangools.com and really like it.

Usually, I'd just use Google and Scrapebox and SEMRush to get related terms, expanded lists of terms and competitor terms, run them through Serplab to get search volumes, competitor rankings and owned site rankings. However, Mangools.com kwfinder gives a nice, inexpensive shortcut for the first few steps in search phrase hunting.

Posted: Jul 25, 2017 By: webgeek Member since: May 19, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. CurtisSweeney

CurtisSweeney UKBF Newcomer

5 0
    I'm just learning how to use Google Keyword Planner.

Posted: Jul 25, 2017 By: CurtisSweeney Member since: Jul 25, 2017
  5. Mark_Taylor_

Mark_Taylor_ UKBF Regular

211 55
    This looks like a good tool.. thanks

Posted: Jul 25, 2017 By: Mark_Taylor_ Member since: Jul 10, 2017
  6. tukhnet

tukhnet UKBF Newcomer

47 3
    Posted: Jul 25, 2017 By: tukhnet Member since: Dec 8, 2016
  7. makeusvisible

makeusvisible Full Member
    Verified Business ✔️

1,196 282
    Keyword planner is your best option, but keep in mind a couple of things;

The competition levels your will obtain from Keyword planner relate to PPC (paid) traffic, and wont always present an accurate reflection of the organic competition.

Nobody (not even Google) can 100% predict human behavior, which is why the figures keyword planner provides are so vague.

Before you put thousands of pounds into targeting specific keywords, you would be far better placed to have an understanding of your conversion rate. One keyword might convert at 20%, and another at 2%.... even if the 2% has a higher search volume you would be better focusing on the higher converting alternative.

Best of luck with your venture.

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 By: makeusvisible Member since: Jan 23, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. comperio

comperio UKBF Newcomer

41 7
    There are not many free tools for keyword research. You can have a look at Keywords Everywhere, which is a chrome addon, and shows some traffic volume when you enter a query in google.

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 By: comperio Member since: Jul 26, 2017
  9. Ventraclothes

Ventraclothes UKBF Newcomer

7 2
    Google Keyword Planner is really wonderful tool analyse the best keywords for your website.

Posted: Jul 29, 2017 By: Ventraclothes Member since: May 8, 2017
  10. cholland

cholland UKBF Regular

291 42
    If the keyword planner is showing these kind of results you can add them to your plan and then change it to narrow it down to give a much more precise number.

Posted: Jul 29, 2017 By: cholland Member since: May 21, 2010
  11. webgeek

webgeek UKBF Legend

4,042 1,476
    Do I really want to add keywords, set up campaigns, add adverts, and act like I'm running PPC campaigns on them, just so I can get keyword volume in more specific number?

If I'm making £1.00 a day, maybe my time is worth so little that I can trade it for insights.

However, I'm not. So, I'm not willing to waste a ton of time in getting some insights. Instead, I want fast, accurate answers, and I want them now. I don't mind spending a few quid to get them.

Posted: Jul 31, 2017 By: webgeek Member since: May 19, 2009
  12. Coversure Hull

Coversure Hull UKBF Newcomer

9 1
    I have always found that Google Keyword Planner to be a great source of information.

Posted: Jul 31, 2017 By: Coversure Hull Member since: Oct 12, 2016
  13. Amy POPContent

Amy POPContent UKBF Contributor

48 13
    My personal favourite is SEMRush because it offers potential traffic, you can filter by country AND get organic competition rather than PPC competition.

I haven't tried Mangools.com though - so might need to check it out! :)

Posted: Jul 31, 2017 By: Amy POPContent Member since: Jan 25, 2016
  14. justinaldridge

justinaldridge Full Member

669 254
    The new Keywords Explorer Tool in Ahrefs is excellent. You can sign up for a free trial to try it out.

Posted: Aug 4, 2017 By: justinaldridge Member since: Sep 26, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Liquid11

Liquid11 UKBF Newcomer

30 2
    Moz.com is a decent one, too. They've got some wonderful articles and guides, as well.

Posted: Aug 7, 2017 By: Liquid11 Member since: Aug 7, 2017
  16. cholland

cholland UKBF Regular

291 42
    You don't have to do that? You do have to have one campaign running but it doesn't have to be relevant at all.

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 By: cholland Member since: May 21, 2010
  17. Ameen

Ameen UKBF Newcomer

7 1
    Google Keyword Planner is the best tool for keyword research. along with that use Google trends to get exact results according to your requirement.

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 By: Ameen Member since: Jul 19, 2017
  18. Liquid11

Liquid11 UKBF Newcomer

30 2
    Good point Ameen, Google Trends is pretty useful.
    I also forgot to mention SEMrush, another useful tool to help with specific keywords and to find good alternatives too.

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 By: Liquid11 Member since: Aug 7, 2017
  19. Johnny Carson

Johnny Carson UKBF Newcomer

1 0
    In my knowledge Google Keyword Planner is really wonderful tool for whom those just start doing Keyword Planning.

Posted: Aug 11, 2017 By: Johnny Carson Member since: Aug 11, 2017
  20. Amber2017

Amber2017 UKBF Newcomer

17 2
    Yes, I would definitely recommend Google Keyword Planner as a good starting point!

Posted: Aug 14, 2017 By: Amber2017 Member since: Jul 19, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.