General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

Kentish Football Website - Taking it onto the next level

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by kentish, Jan 4, 2007.

1. kentish

kentish UKBF Newcomer Free Member

9 0
    Dear all,
    I have visited the forum several times and feel now is the time to take the plunge and register to see if I can progress my new business.

Since June 2003 I have run my own football website, Kentish Football (cannot write the website address here but if you do a Google search and type in "Kentish Football" then that should bring you to the website),
    as an expensive hobby, but now I have opened up a bank account to expand my “expensive hobby” into a business.

The website is a very popular football news related website, which covers non-league football in Kent.

I attend at least two football matches in Kent every week, writing match reports, interviewing managers and bringing all the latest football news from the Garden of England.

The website attracts at least 50,000 hits every month and I know that I have a product but I need to take it to the next level.

However, I am confident interviewing football managers either face-to-face at matches or on the telephone, as I have an excellent rapport with them, but I just don’t have the confidence to contact companies to get them to place banner adverts on the website.

Ideally, I would relish the opportunity to run the website on a full-time basis. That will enable me to write more articles, thus attracting even more hits.

But in order for me to do this I need businesses (ideally in Kent, but further afield will not be an issue for me) to back this business venture.

I am not asking for mega amounts. I feel that £20,000 would enable me to run the website on a full-time basis, and enough to live off.

If you can assist me in anyway please get in contact via the “Contact us” button on my website.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards
    Stephen McCartney
    Editor
    Kentish Football

Posted: Jan 4, 2007 By: kentish Member since: Jan 4, 2007
  2. HC-Martin

HC-Martin UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,718 67
    Posted: Jan 5, 2007 By: HC-Martin Member since: Nov 11, 2006
  3. Gavin Harris

Gavin Harris UKBF Newcomer Free Member

886 65
    Stephen,

Hits is a pretty inaccurate figure, due to the way it works.

Do you have figures for the number of visits and unique visits that the website receives each month? Also, the total number of page views would be useful. If you also have the number of average pages each visitor views on a visit that would be useful.

How do you envisage making money from this business? Is it purely from online advertising, or do you want to sign up visitors to the site to pay for "premium content"?

Posted: Jan 5, 2007 By: Gavin Harris Member since: Dec 13, 2006
  4. ImproveSearchListings

ImproveSearchListings UKBF Newcomer Free Member

709 35
    Hi Stephen,

I agree with Gavin, hits is an inaccurate figure and I think you need to get this nailed down.
    On the flip side of this I think there is a definate opportunity. Non-league and lower division football is IMO growing - probably as more people become tired of the big boys raking in cash and not giving a proper hearty game. Having supported Cheltenham Town since they were in the Conference I am one of those people. I also think that the idea could slowly be rolled out into other areas of the country. What a coup if you could get sponsorship from FC United (who incidentally play at Burys ground - Gigg Lane) when you got up into the North West leagues. Have you thought of talking to sponsors of the local football teams - I'm sure the managers you intervew may have some contacts in that area.

Good luck,

James

Posted: Jan 5, 2007 By: ImproveSearchListings Member since: Dec 5, 2006
  5. ImproveSearchListings

ImproveSearchListings UKBF Newcomer Free Member

709 35
    A quick other thought - perhaps you could get some sponsorship deals involved with the clubs?

Posted: Jan 5, 2007 By: ImproveSearchListings Member since: Dec 5, 2006
  6. Travelling Sam

Travelling Sam UKBF Newcomer Free Member

259 17
    Hi Stephen,

Sorry I can't help you with the above, but a certain way to get vastly improved unique visitors (although you have plenty already) is to have active forums and promote them to Kentish Football Clubs. If you think this cannot work for non-league teams, just take a look at http://www.confguide.com/cboard.mpl .

Fortunately as a Barnet fan I need no longer pay attention to the above, but I do know that there is nothing a footie fan likes more than to abuse his local rivals!

Posted: Jan 5, 2007 By: Travelling Sam Member since: Aug 9, 2006