General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Just broken a law supposedly CTPS

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by APC Nexday Overnite Ltd, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James1980

James1980 UKBF Regular Free Member

327 96
    "I can't tell, they're all blackened and charred."

Posted: Aug 17, 2011 By: James1980 Member since: Sep 3, 2009
  2. LicensedToTrade

LicensedToTrade UKBF Legend Free Member

6,330 2,143
    The extension lead has a green sticker on it but the other four surge protectors and 18 plugs connected to it don't. :D

Posted: Aug 17, 2011 By: LicensedToTrade Member since: Nov 7, 2009
  3. Dan@Printwell

[email protected] UKBF Newcomer Free Member

176 30
    I am also making calls and have never heard or been advised of this issue, how long has this law been in place? How often are company’s penalised?

Posted: Aug 17, 2011 By: [email protected] Member since: Aug 4, 2011
  4. LicensedToTrade

6,330 2,143
    The legislation has changed over time but it has existed in one form or another for years rather than months. As for how often penalties are issued... rarely. It can be difficult for a complaint to be upheld and fully investigated so the odds are in favour of the unscrupulous cold caller.

5. APC Nexday Overnite Ltd

APC Nexday Overnite Ltd UKBF Newcomer Full Member

284 39
    Your probably in the same boat I was in Dan but ye check the tpsmanage.com with any numbers you're thinking of ringing as the legislation states you should receive a £5k fine which is pretty scary!

I know some forums can do polls it would be interesting to do a poll in here. "In sales/marketing terms do you know what is meant by CTPS/TPS?" Can you do polls on this forum?

[email protected]..... that printwell APC depots use?

Posted: Aug 17, 2011 By: APC Nexday Overnite Ltd Member since: Nov 17, 2008
  6. LicensedToTrade

6,330 2,143
    YOU can because you are a paid member. Don't ask me how though, I think you need to start a new thread to get the option.

I suspect that most of those who respond will already be aware of their obligations, some of those who do not know may feel a little embarrassed and decide not to vote.

7. CakeTaker

CakeTaker UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 3
    You don't have to prove it, just provide a reference to the source that formed the based for your statement that most people are fine with telemarketers. If there is such a study done I'd be quite interested to know the figures.

You have made a statement which contradicts my personal expectation, if I'm wrong I want to know so I'm not wrong in the future.

Posted: Aug 17, 2011 By: CakeTaker Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  8. LicensedToTrade

6,330 2,143
    If it is only the minority of people that have a problem with telemarketers then I'm placing myself firmly in the minority. I have the sneaking suspicion that the allocated standing space for this minority might be a little crowded.

9. saxondale

saxondale Banned

3,742 612

the whole shady practice should be outlawed

Posted: Aug 17, 2011 By: saxondale Member since: Jul 23, 2008
  10. LicensedToTrade

6,330 2,143
    I don't think it should be outlawed, genuine cold callers who are calling genuine prospects that they have researched and deem to be a likely buyer of their products aren't something I have a problem with. It is the one's that grab a list of thousands of numbers, often with incorrect or out of date details trying to sell you whatever is flavour the of the week, even if they know nothing about you.

Much much tighter regulation and penalties worth mentioning are needed.

11. saxondale

saxondale Banned

3,742 612
    your day to day business is spent meeting tough builders with hairy arms, mine is spent meeting old ladies who are too scared to answer the phone after 1530.

they too have hairy arms however.

Posted: Aug 17, 2011 By: saxondale Member since: Jul 23, 2008
  12. LicensedToTrade

6,330 2,143
    I try to keep my distance from those smelly builders these days but they get a fair amount of cold calling themselves. It would seem that telemarketers believe that all builder's are the in the market for: virtual offices, virtual assistance, new mobile phone contracts, voip software, non-geographical telephone number forwarding services, a raft of indemnity and liability insurances, vehicle wrapping, PAT testing, business advice, cheaper utility bills ...and so on. It's a wonder the poor fellas ever get a chance to get that 5th tea or coffee break in before 9am.

13. OptiRick

OptiRick UKBF Regular Free Member

302 46
    My 3 most recent cold callers,

1) A guy trying to sell us electricity, 'if I can save you £500 per year it's better off in your pocket....'. We only spend about a grand p/a so I asked what the chances were of him halving our electricity costs, he basically kept saying the same thing over and over again, tried to quote us happy, even tried to confuse us into taking a more expensive tariff (low unit cost but massive daily charge) before admitting he couldn't match what we were paying.

2) A reseller of SSL certs. Given what we pay for a SSL cert (not a massive amount) I would not consider upsetting the applecart by messing about with it. I once changed hosting providers and the company we moved to had some issues with the way they issued SSL certs. I was offline for 3 weeks before I gave up and went elsewhere. Struggled to make him take no for an answer.

3) Payment processing. Our most recent sales call involved our in store card processing fees. We currently use Streamline, it works and is currently costing us 0.5% as most of our sales are a high value and the purchaser uses debit card.
    By switching to the caller's service we could save £6 per month. Would you bother?

As i've said before I think the problem is that most cold callers don't realise that while *they* may only have called you once, it could easily be the 5th time I have dropped what I am doing to answer the phone, only to be confronted by someone who probably can't help me to save money.

Instead of opting out like with the TPS there should be an opt in service. A register of businesses who are for whatever reason incapable of finding good deals for themselves.

Posted: Aug 17, 2011 By: OptiRick Member since: Jun 4, 2010
  14. APC Nexday Overnite Ltd

284 39
    See now I don't do this I will contact businesses that we deliver into on a regular basis, I will ask the specific driver if they use parcel carriers and then before I ring them I. Will have a look at what they do as well via their website if they have one.

Posted: Aug 18, 2011 By: APC Nexday Overnite Ltd Member since: Nov 17, 2008
  15. paultnl

paultnl UKBF Newcomer Full Member

840 176
    The basic problem with cold calling as Steven Fry observed, is that the telephone is an inherently rude device. It is the same as someone coming to your desk screaming SPEAK TO ME NOW! regardless of what you are currently doing.

I am well aware of the irony of my comments as someone who makes their living from the telephone system but like all things, it is a matter of timing and appropriateness. A customer calling me deserves immediate and courteous service, a sales driod interrupting my work with irrelevant offers does not.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    Posted: Aug 18, 2011 By: paultnl Member since: Jan 23, 2009
  16. captaincloser

captaincloser Banned

2,770 1,130
    Whats a sales driod ?

Cant see them in the sales books ?

Where can we get one ? Do your clients and potential clients refer to you as an interrupting driod ?

A key to business success is to be courteous to everyone that calls and to be firm with sales people particularly if you are one yourself which, like it or not, everyone on here is.

It just seems way to had for UKBF users on these sales threads.

If you don't like the calls get your phone taken out

Posted: Aug 18, 2011 By: captaincloser Member since: Mar 20, 2010
  17. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash Guest

1,427 480
    No, the key to business success is being able to tell the difference between a customer and a time wasting **** and to get the latter off the phone as quickly as possible.

Posted: Aug 18, 2011 By: JohnnyCash Member since: Dec 8, 2010
  18. E Storey

E Storey UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

597 138
    If any product is so poor that ity needs an inarticulate 17 year old to scan gumtree then pester me with cold calls despite being on the CTPS, offering me say .... [oh a special allocation at the top of google] the minute an ad goes live, I know their product/service is one well worth avoiding.

And yea - the electrical safety checck stickers people ring all the time, usually on my mobile!

I don't need to cold call potential customers, and I resent people with poor products hindering my business by having to take the time to tell them to piss off!

Posted: Aug 18, 2011 By: E Storey Member since: Jul 12, 2010
  19. APC Nexday Overnite Ltd

284 39
    I don't offer products I offer services...brilliant service as well! You only have to look at what people on here have said about the APC network! So why not tell everyone I can? I'm courteous, get off the phone if they're not interested and I only call businesses we deliver to or if I've been told by my driver that they send out.

Posted: Aug 18, 2011 By: APC Nexday Overnite Ltd Member since: Nov 17, 2008
  20. E Storey

E Storey UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

597 138
    And with a post like that, if i needed a courier, I would bear you in mind ... until the point you cold called me ... then I would make a mental note never to use you!

Now .... What's you're phone number.... i might call you and see if you need a better bookkeeper.....

Posted: Aug 18, 2011 By: E Storey Member since: Jul 12, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.